Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interstate move - removalists

Interstate move - removalists

Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:17 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interstate move - removalists

Can anyone recommend a decent but not expensive removalist in Australia for a move from Sydney to Brisbane - or advise who to avoid with a barge pole?

It would be really good to hear people's experiences of backloading companies and some of the smaller companies (ie not Grace etc - for their prices I'd expect a premium service!)

Also, what have people done for insurance? My home contents insurance doesn't cover in transit.

Finally, packing boxes - any suggestions besides grovelling to local shops and ebay?

Ta! Any help to keep the costs down gratefully received (as it looks like it's going to wipe us out!)
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:31 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interstate move - removalists

Bump. Please help!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 12:58 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
Bump. Please help!
Have you PM'd Mr Mover?

I would recommend Kent Shipping based on my dealings with them.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

you could always ask for boxes on freecycle
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I recently used a backloader to move from Sydney to Melbourne and they were awesome! I think they are based in Brisbane, so should work for you.

I got an online quote at night, they called me first thing in the morning, had a truck going the day I wanted to go, were within half an hour of when they promised to be, and the guys were friendly, quick and careful. My mum got my stuff at the other end and said they were lovely and quick there too.

Not to mention, they were about 50-60% of the price of all the other movers I had quotes from!

I dealt with Angela (angela AT backloading4u.com)
http://www.backloading4u.com

For packing boxes, try freecycle.org or gumtree.com.au, people sometimes want them taken away.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:29 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Have you PM'd Mr Mover?

I would recommend Kent Shipping based on my dealings with them.
She dos,nt WANT www.grace.com.au
so we are out of the picture if she,s smart she will ring Kent or chess or Nuss and say you want my work ,? supply me packing boxes............mm
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:08 pm
Mozzie magnet

Thanks everyone

I did do a search previously for removalists, and came across Mr Mover's recommendations! I'm waiting for a few quotes to come back. Kent were pretty pricey unfortunately, but I got a good quote from Hannans (about who Mr Mover has said in the past have been around for a while so must be doing something right...). I

've read some really bad reports about some backloading companies so I was wary of using one of them, but a personal recommendation makes me think it would be worth getting a quote from blackloading4u.com

Insurance looks like it's going to be ridiculously expensive - almost as much as a whole year's premium for standard contents insurance

The removalists seem to expect you to pay for their boxes going by their websites, but I'll try playing them off against each other a bit!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 1:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We contacted some of Mr Mover's recommendations back in April when we started putting together our interstate move. I'm still waiting to hear back. Oh, btw, we moved to Perth 3 months ago.

We used Pickfords and they packed everything, supplied all the boxes, unpacked on this end, and even cleaned our house on move out. Not he cheapest, but the service was excellent. When you're done with the boxes they will come and pick them up or do like we did, give some away and sell the rest.
Old Aug 18th 2007, 2:30 am
Mozzie magnet

We used Allied Pickfords for our move from the UK to Sydney. Great service in the UK, but they lost or damaged about 10% of our goods and subcontracted out the delivery this end - which they'd said wouldn't happen! The firm they used weren't great believers in customer service unfortunately either

But it goes to show, one person can have a bad experience, another a good one. It's down to luck!

The insurance quotes are still causing me pain - $10 per $1000 of goods value seems typical and completely over the top!