Internet Questions

Internet Questions

Old May 12th 2010, 12:50 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Questions

HI

Right I am soooo confused

Not got a clue who to use, I have looked at the whirlpool website that has been recommended, however :

I have no idea how much gb I will need (all far too technical for me)

Could someone please advise an estimate from the folowing info:

I send/receive maximum 15-20 emails a day

I want to make 3 "MSN or Skype" calls a week to different family members

I don't really download music/movies/tv etc.

I want a landline so mum can phone from UK as she get free calls

I use facebook and BE daily

Then just to do some general surfing for current info

If anyone could give me an info to make my search less painful, the library are beginning to think I want to take up residency

Cheers in advance
Old May 12th 2010, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Internet Questions

Hi

Maybe try dodo or go talk, i have used them both and they seem reasonably ok, i would suggest aussiebroadband but im not too sure if they have their VOIP up and running as yet but the service i got from aussie was excellent. I reckon you should get away with 2GB from the sounds of it but i would just step up a touch and i doubt youll break your limit. SKYPE to SKYPE is free.

Good luck

Bob
Old May 12th 2010, 1:16 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

For phone I'd be seriously looking at mynetfone.com.au

https://www.mynetfone.com.au/whirlpool/VoIP/Plans

for $5 a month I get all the free calls I need.
... of course you need an ISP but I' sueyou could find an NakedADSL plan with very low data usage that woudl suit your needs.

You ought to be able to get your entire telco budget down to comfortably under $50 a month.

Most Australians will pay almost that for their line rental on the landline!
Old May 12th 2010, 1:18 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise
HI

Right I am soooo confused

Not got a clue who to use, I have looked at the whirlpool website that has been recommended, however :

I have no idea how much gb I will need (all far too technical for me)

Could someone please advise an estimate from the folowing info:

I send/receive maximum 15-20 emails a day

I want to make 3 "MSN or Skype" calls a week to different family members

I don't really download music/movies/tv etc.

I want a landline so mum can phone from UK as she get free calls

I use facebook and BE daily

Then just to do some general surfing for current info

If anyone could give me an info to make my search less painful, the library are beginning to think I want to take up residency

Cheers in advance
first go here and then put in your phone number. Then come back and tell us which ISPs are offering ADSL2+ in your area.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/
Old May 12th 2010, 1:48 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Depends if you are tech savy should you dabble with naked DSL

Naked DSL on iinet is great though - $60 bucks - ADSL2+ speed, 10G peak/10G offpeak downloads only, uploads not counted, a freezone of content (itunes and tivo are free!) & free local and national calls (includes phone number - you just need a VoiP router.

Just avoid telstra at all costs - unless you are country and then you are screwed
Old May 12th 2010, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid telstra and have a look at iinet.
Old May 12th 2010, 2:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by asprilla
first go here and then put in your phone number. Then come back and tell us which ISPs are offering ADSL2+ in your area.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/
Hi

I don't have a phone number to enter, we are in a rental and no idea when it was last occupied???
Old May 12th 2010, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mark213
Depends if you are tech savy should you dabble with naked DSL

Naked DSL on iinet is great though - $60 bucks - ADSL2+ speed, 10G peak/10G offpeak downloads only, uploads not counted, a freezone of content (itunes and tivo are free!) & free local and national calls (includes phone number - you just need a VoiP router.

Just avoid telstra at all costs - unless you are country and then you are screwed
Absolutely not tech savvy at all, neither is hubby

Naked is what you do in the shower in our house
Old May 12th 2010, 2:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DadAgain

... of course you need an ISP but I' sueyou could find an NakedADSL plan with very low data usage that woudl suit your needs.

You ought to be able to get your entire telco budget down to comfortably under $50 a month.

Thanks for that, I've had a look at that, think I will give them a ring to see what suits me best.
Old May 12th 2010, 2:38 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I don't have a phone number to enter, we are in a rental and no idea when it was last occupied???
ok, find a building nearby your rental that will have a phone number listed on the internet. e.g. a church, doctors, sandwich shop, vets, accountants... anything.

Input their number, there's a very good chance that you'll be on the same exchange because you're close by....the closer the better.
Old May 12th 2010, 2:48 am
Account Closed

ok, find a building nearby your rental that will have a phone number listed on the internet. e.g. a church, doctors, sandwich shop, vets, accountants... anything.

Input their number, there's a very good chance that you'll be on the same exchange because you're close by....the closer the better.
OK

Done that

Dodo seem to be the only one that says ADSL2+ at the side of it
Old May 12th 2010, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely not tech savvy at all, neither is hubby

Naked is what you do in the shower in our house

Naked DSL means you get both fixed line and internet through your internet connection. That means you don't need to pay Telstra for the line rental/connection but you still get the benefits of a fixed line, especially for people who want to call you.
Main drawback is that if the internet is down, your phone is down too. Always good to have a mobile handy to call provider and ask for it to be fixed!

Once you have input the neighbour's number (or the church, doctors, whatever...), Whirlpool will give you a list of providers that offer naked DSL in your area.

The plan that mark213 suggests is a good one. Iinet (and others) can also provide you with a wireless modem/phone all in one (you might have seen the ads for BoB, iinet's phone/modem) which I suspect might make it easier to work with. It saves trying to fiddle with plugging different devices into a modem. We don't have one ourselves as we already had a phone.

Iinet and Internode are really good with customer support as well so they should be able to help if you have problems setting up. TPG were not so great re customer support a few years ago but that might have changed.

I have heard that PennyTel is good for international calls. You already get pretty cheap calls with neked DSL though so you may not need anything extra, especially if you're using Skype to call overseas.

Hope that's not too much info to digest and good luck!
Old May 12th 2010, 3:25 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

The rates that mynetfone are not that good?

We are with PennyTel and their CrazyTalk plan for $18.88 per month gives us free local, national and calls to UK, USA, NZ and some other countries AND 150 free mobiles calls or 500 free minutes of mobile calls (whichever comes first). The call quality is great too.

Buy an ATA for your phone too (means you can use your standard phone). It's very easy to setup if you're used to configuring devices via a web interface.
Old May 12th 2010, 3:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz

Naked DSL means you get both fixed line and internet through your internet connection. That means you don't need to pay Telstra for the line rental/connection but you still get the benefits of a fixed line, especially for people who want to call you.
Main drawback is that if the internet is down, your phone is down too. Always good to have a mobile handy to call provider and ask for it to be fixed!

Once you have input the neighbour's number (or the church, doctors, whatever...), Whirlpool will give you a list of providers that offer naked DSL in your area.

The plan that mark213 suggests is a good one. Iinet (and others) can also provide you with a wireless modem/phone all in one (you might have seen the ads for BoB, iinet's phone/modem) which I suspect might make it easier to work with. It saves trying to fiddle with plugging different devices into a modem. We don't have one ourselves as we already had a phone.

Iinet and Internode are really good with customer support as well so they should be able to help if you have problems setting up. TPG were not so great re customer support a few years ago but that might have changed.

I have heard that PennyTel is good for international calls. You already get pretty cheap calls with neked DSL though so you may not need anything extra, especially if you're using Skype to call overseas.

Hope that's not too much info to digest and good luck!
Thank YOU for explaining the Naked thing, thing I might be starting to understand it a bit now
Old May 12th 2010, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank YOU for explaining the Naked thing, thing I might be starting to understand it a bit now
I just didn't want you to start taking your clothes off in the library!
They might put you on a plane straight back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.