Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Internet provider do you recommend?

Which Internet provider do you recommend?

Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

popp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nice
Default Which Internet provider do you recommend?

Hi guys - I'm looking at the options for wifi broadband here & it seems to be quite different to the UK. Can anyone recommend a provider? We'll need around 10GB per month I would think. I want to have a voip phone connected to it as well.
Cheers in advance...
Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

articnorth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Internet provider do you recommend?

Hi,

not sure about wifi,

from your location at secret harbour on your profile,

this might help.

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/vie...hp?Location=WA

suburbs on the side, Internet service providers on the top bar.

if you need further info,

visit www.whirlpool.net.au.

hope that helps.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 9:14 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

None of the internet providers offer just wifi as a broadband connection - the options are ADSL, cable, satellite or 3G (4G?). The modem that connects you to the system (ADSL, cable) will have wifi capability so you can work around the house away from the fixed connection.

3G uses a wireless modem which either plugs into a USB port or is built in a la iPad. If you plan to travel outside the major city centres then Telstra is the only one worth going for - Optus and (particularly) Vodaphone have lousy coverage in the country regions.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

popp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nicepopp68 is just really nice

Originally Posted by articnorth
Hi,

not sure about wifi,

from your location at secret harbour on your profile,

this might help.

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/vie...hp?Location=WA

suburbs on the side, Internet service providers on the top bar.

if you need further info,

visit www.whirlpool.net.au.

hope that helps.

Thanks, I'll take a look
Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
None of the internet providers offer just wifi as a broadband connection - the options are ADSL, cable, satellite or 3G (4G?). The modem that connects you to the system (ADSL, cable) will have wifi capability so you can work around the house away from the fixed connection.

3G uses a wireless modem which either plugs into a USB port or is built in a la iPad. If you plan to travel outside the major city centres then Telstra is the only one worth going for - Optus and (particularly) Vodaphone have lousy coverage in the country regions.
Thanks - I have a couple of teenagers who always want to be connected at the same time so we definitely need wifi.
When they advertise ASDL I thought it meant that you had to be connected to the modem via a cable, so thanks for enlightening me
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend iinet. Router 'wired in' and then all laptops WiFi to the central router.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:15 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I would recommend iinet. Router 'wired in' and then all laptops WiFi to the central router.
+1

I deal with most ISP's daily thru work and if I wasn't with Helstra, i'd be with iiNet for sure!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Oh and VOIP line thru ole mate Bob too if you require.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
We haven't got Bob, we have a VoIP router with a phone attached to that. All outgoings from that, incomings on the regular one.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:00 am
Account Closed

We haven't got Bob, we have a VoIP router with a phone attached to that. All outgoings from that, incomings on the regular one.
All good! ...
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Bob??!!
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by popp68
Bob??!!
It's a VoIP phone system that comes with iinet - if you pay for it of course.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

It's a VoIP phone system that comes with iinet - if you pay for it of course.
Aha - thanks, I've found Bob now.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I've just ordered Bob2, waiting for the hardware to come to connect to my now working phone and broadband.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 9:54 am
Just Joined

FrankandKaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how 4G is coming along in Oz? I am hoping to move to the Sunshine Coast, so I suppose the all the big cities will get it first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.