Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

internet / phone

internet / phone

Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:40 pm
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all
Smile internet / phone

Dear all can you advise on the average cost of monthly phone bills
and internet

here in scotland i get both phone and internet for £60 per month and thats for unlimited internet use.

could someone advise on there monthly costs.

Also sky Tv probbaly a silly question can you get this with the football if so whats the cost on this as well

thanks
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: internet / phone

Depends.....

Internet is expensive here.

Foxtel (Sky) is about the same with live EPL.

Search wen for Telstra, Optus, iinet, Westnet for phone internet companies to name a few and look at their plans.

check www.foxtel.com.au for satlleite TV
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:51 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickpower75
and internet

here in scotland i get both phone and internet for £60 per month and thats for unlimited internet use.

Also sky Tv probbaly a silly question can you get this with the football if so whats the cost on this as well

thanks
Take a look at the Whirlpool site for internet and phones...
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:03 am
Just Joined

futureaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

and internet

thanks
As a fellow Scot you be interested that you can get Setanta as an add-on to Foxtel for $14.95 a month.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Internet is expensive and has limits.

My internet plan is $140 a month (fastest in Australia – but slow compare to what I had in Ireland) and my plan that i'm on has a 25 gig download limit (think that's the higest telstra do, most companies offer average month limit of 5 gig - for a lot cheaper).

To have the internet I need a phone line (yes in 2008 Australian broadband still needs a phoneline), the line rental is $20 a month. I don’t use the phone, so only get a line rental.

That’s all with Telstra.

I’ve just gotten Foxtel IQ and pay $60 a month for all the channels, and I’ve found out that I can get cable broadband with that – which is faster and cheaper, plus it means I can get rid of the current phone line.

So look into the option with Foxtel and Telstra of combining it all and getting cable broadband.

Mikey
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

and internet

thanks
You will find things don't match up to standard here and more expensive. But there are some good deals about, but will probably be more than what you're used to with less speed on internet.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:41 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
My internet plan is $140 a month (fastest in Australia – but slow compare to what I had in Ireland) and my plan that i'm on has a 25 gig download limit (think that's the higest telstra do, most companies offer average month limit of 5 gig - for a lot cheaper).
Telstra / Bigpond are con merchants! ... your upload is counted into your 25gb ...

I got away from them and now am with Internode.

8meg line, 40gb pm allowance, uploads not included in allowance, $99pm

About as good as it gets unless you can get ADSL2.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Internet is expensive and has limits.

To have the internet I need a phone line (yes in 2008 Australian broadband still needs a phoneline), the line rental is $20 a month. I don’t use the phone, so only get a line rental.

That’s all with Telstra.

I’ve just gotten Foxtel IQ and pay $60 a month for all the channels, and I’ve found out that I can get cable broadband with that – which is faster and cheaper, plus it means I can get rid of the current phone line.

So look into the option with Foxtel and Telstra of combining it all and getting cable broadband.

Mikey
I would not use Telstra for anything. I'm with iiNet, they have a naked broadband package on ADSL2. I get 65GB for $79/month and $10 for a VOIP service.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Telstra / Bigpond are con merchants! ... your upload is counted into your 25gb ...

I got away from them and now am with Internode.

8meg line, 40gb pm allowance, uploads not included in allowance, $99pm

About as good as it gets unless you can get ADSL2.
That sounds excellent, what's the speed though? At the moment I'm on 54.0Mbps – I only went with Telstra before anyone would give me internet I needed a phone line installed and only Telstra could do that, so I ended up just getting the whole lot with it. Plus they where the fasted speed I could find.

Mikey.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I would not use Telstra for anything. I'm with iiNet, they have a naked broadband package on ADSL2. I get 65GB for $79/month and $10 for a VOIP service.
Just had a look at their site, says I can get the ADSL2+ speeds for $79 a month with 40gb (peak time) and 60gb (off peak). Thats excellent. I'd love to get rid of Telstra. Cheers!

What is their overall service like?

Mikey
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Just had a look at their site, says I can get the ADSL2+ speeds for $79 a month with 40gb (peak time) and 60gb (off peak). Thats excellent. I'd love to get rid of Telstra. Cheers!

What is their overall service like?

Mikey
The service is excellent. 24 hour support. Been with them 10 months without hiccup.

Go naked if you can live without a landline. I really like the VOIP.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

That sounds excellent, what's the speed though? At the moment I'm on 54.0Mbps – I only went with Telstra before anyone would give me internet I needed a phone line installed and only Telstra could do that, so I ended up just getting the whole lot with it. Plus they where the fasted speed I could find.

Mikey.
I'm on ADSL1, my max speed is 12Mbps. I don't know how much the ISP effects the speed, I thought other factors such as distance from exchange had a bigger impact.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I'm on ADSL1, my max speed is 12Mbps. I don't know how much the ISP effects the speed, I thought other factors such as distance from exchange had a bigger impact.
I'm in the Sydned CBD and did that online test thing, it said I can get ADSL2+, So I assume it would be at least close speed as my Telstra ADSL2?

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Jul 15th 2008 at 12:03 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for iinet. Anyone who signs up with Telstra and professes they are the best in Australia has clearly not done any research
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
Another vote for iinet. Anyone who signs up with Telstra and professes they are the best in Australia has clearly not done any research
Actually, Telstra are currently the fastest in Australia (did'nt see anyone use the word "best" ) as they control the broadband and majority of lines, hence the reason Australian broadband is so slow – research will tell you that.

Telstra are a terrible company, they just have the fastest available broadband speed - which compared to overseas, is still slow. lol

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Jul 15th 2008 at 12:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.