Reload this Page >

internet connection to laptops

internet connection to laptops

Old Dec 29th 2003, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default internet connection to laptops

hi all

right...18 days to land in melbourne,(leaving 17jan04)never been there before,no friends or rellies there..bought one way tickets(me/wife and 2kids).need to stamp visa by 22ndjan04.
hopefully exchanging contracts on house b4 we go..
prebooked 3weeks at holi site dandenong..

bought laptop with built in modem/broadband..

now ,how do i get on to the www when i get to oz

do i buy a mobile phone and internet wire? if so is the isp going to allow mobile phone connection,and do i prepay isp as i have no perm address?

or can i go into local internet cafe and pay to connect my own pc to www?(ive got all my important favorates in laptop)

any ideas please

i've been on broadband all thru my reccie into oz visa 47sk app.sent app 17uly01 believe it or not (diy)

i'm not sure how people use to be able to research b4 internet became available.must of been tuff .

but i'm going to feel lost without it,

anyway thanks every one for the info in the past

and thanks to the owners of this website

cheers

rday
Old Dec 30th 2003, 12:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you can buy prepaid dial up. Packs are available in Dick Smiths although cheaper options are available. You will pay a fixed local call charge which is usually 20 - 25c

With no fixed address broadband will only be available at intenet cafes that offer facilities for laptop users or at wireless access points. www.whereis.com.au lists official access points but look up warchalking in Google and you could could find locals to leech off. Wireless is only available if you have a wireless network card in your laptop.

Coming soon is i-burst but it is too early to recommend.

For broadband comparisons try www.whirlpool.net.au.

I recommend www.swiftdsl.com.au
Old Dec 30th 2003, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi

We had the same problem when we arrived, our rental house didnt have a phone line so we couldnt get internet connection untill we got another house and had to use mobiles for calls to estate agents etc, this was expensive and probably not too good for my brain.

Anyway once we had our phone line we went to harvey norman and bought an internet pack, pre paid 20 hours and that was enough to last us untill we could get broadband installed.

Yes we missed the internet connection but were so busy in the first 2 weeks trying to find a house and sort out our furniture etc.....that we probably wouldnt have had time to use it and as most of the real estate companies dont update their websites very regularly for rentals it wouldnt have helped much in our search for a house.

Good Luck

Lynn
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:00 am
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
look up warchalking in Google and you could could find locals to leech off.
this warchalking business does work, it suprised me a little but there is a pub/hotel near me that is a local hotspot so i took the laptop down there and i was connected to the internet easily with 54mbps.

not bad for free !