Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet bull about no carpentry jobs

Internet bull about no carpentry jobs

Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet bull about no carpentry jobs

The day after my tools arrived I started looking for work made 4 calls and all 4would take me on
2 of them I only lasted a short while because it was not right for me
these were @ 30 and 33 per hour
I drove around for a few hours around some sites and the second one I asked give me a start at 35 plus gst this is fix out and some price work is coming soon, granted a good price work chipie would make much more in the uk but if it cash you want go to the home counties.
I can`t believe how people moan on here about there being no work for trades this place (brisbane) is proper boom.
All this without a license too allthough its pending
A tip for fixers bring a trend hinge jig and router the aussies think there the greatest thing ever.

I would say if you did well in the uk you will do well here
don`t be put off by the internet wingers on here, Reading some of the stuff put me on a downer till I sampled what it was like for myself.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:17 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet bull about no carpentry jobs

Congrats. Its nice to hear of people doing well. Very often people just come to whine and its great to see your efforts paid out for you
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
The day after my tools arrived I started looking for work made 4 calls and all 4would take me on
I drove around for a few hours around some sites and the second one I asked give me a start at 35 plus gst this is fix out and some price work is coming soon, granted a good price work chipie would make much more in the uk but if it cash you want go to the home counties.
I can`t believe how people moan on here about there being no work for trades this place (brisbane) is proper boom.
A tip for fixers bring a trend hinge jig and router the aussies think there the greatest thing ever.

don`t be put off by the internet wingers on here, Reading some of the stuff put me on a downer till I sampled what it was like for myself.
That is so good to here, my OH a joiner also and will be happy to read this post. I will remember about the hinge jig and router.
Great post,

Sharon
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:28 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

You don't know how good that is to hear! My husband is a chippy and is terrified of being out of work, being the breadwinner and all
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Hinge jigs are in the shops here... I bought a new one months ago,and gave my old one away to a young 'un £120 it cost me!! All said, tools and everyday gear over here are pretty good and getting new stuff isn't a problem so dont worry about stuffin' loads in your cases!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:08 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats. Thats great to hear. Our main concern is that Mark finds work too. What do you have to do to get a license?

All the best
Joex
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
Congrats. Thats great to hear. Our main concern is that Mark finds work too. What do you have to do to get a license?

All the best
Joex

To get a license you have to give all your stuff you put together for the TRA to another trade recocnition org then do a 3 day (very easy )course(300 bucks)on trade managment then apply to QBSA for the licence not that bad really if you want it quick you can join a trade org like the HIA and they will speed it up and help you with you application HIA costs you 40 a month for as long as you want to be a member
If you miss your yearly qbsa subs by one day you have to do the course again many on my course where doing it if the second time
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SBUK
Hinge jigs are in the shops here... I bought a new one months ago,and gave my old one away to a young 'un £120 it cost me!! All said, tools and everyday gear over here are pretty good and getting new stuff isn't a problem so dont worry about stuffin' loads in your cases!

There are hinge jigs and there are trend hinge jigs please tell where I can get a trend hinge jig and some long reach 12mm cutters
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:51 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

To get a license you have to give all your stuff you put together for the TRA to another trade recocnition org then do a 3 day (very easy )course(300 bucks)on trade managment then apply to QBSA for the licence not that bad really if you want it quick you can join a trade org like the HIA and they will speed it up and help you with you application HIA costs you 40 a month for as long as you want to be a member
If you miss your yearly qbsa subs by one day you have to do the course again many on my course where doing it if the second time

Cheers, thanks for that

Joex
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

(quick time would be about 3 months)
Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

landsgh is an unknown quantity at this point

There are hinge jigs and there are trend hinge jigs please tell where I can get a trend hinge jig and some long reach 12mm cutters
try ebay or any ebay tool shop will have them.expect about £160 for jig and £20 per cutter
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Glenfords (SCoast) can get both,I use Precision Tooling Supplies Kawana for bits and bobs too...I'll sort out a number
While I'm on folks can I just plug this firm www.duce.com.au They are on the Sunny Coast and Northside of Brizzy...come on get rid of that 'tacky 'ally'!!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

blakey1 has a brilliant futureblakey1 has a brilliant futureblakey1 has a brilliant futureblakey1 has a brilliant futureblakey1 has a brilliant futureblakey1 has a brilliant future

hey thanks for the post my hubby joiner and we worried about work situation so good to hear something positive we just about to send our visa application off so hopefully we will be there next year sometime. what made you decide brisbane we stuck between there and perth
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

storey4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Good to hear positive feedback from someone who is actually out there earning a decent wage. My OH is the breadwinner in our family so it is a little concerning to read all the contradicting info both on here and in magazines/books etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what hours do you usually work a week in total and what's your usual finish time? Are you self employed or on books? What are the tax deductions like % ?
Also, what do you mean by a licence?

Thanks
Jo
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Totally dependant on which state your in, just cost me $3,000 to get carpentry license here in NSW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.