Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet availability problems Perth

Internet availability problems Perth

Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:58 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet availability problems Perth

Is anyone else having this problem? At weekends we often get a few hours at a time where the internet is available for 30 seconds then goes down for a couple of minutes. It started a few weeks ago with Saturdays but is now happening on Sundays. We are with bigpond on the Wanneroo exchange.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet availability problems Perth

Originally Posted by worzel
Is anyone else having this problem? At weekends we often get a few hours at a time where the internet is available for 30 seconds then goes down for a couple of minutes. It started a few weeks ago with Saturdays but is now happening on Sundays. We are with bigpond on the Wanneroo exchange.
Have not had problems with iinet in Kalamunda.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we are having the same problem with ours, Its been ok today though, but last weekend i think Sat it was off for most of the day. Also with Bigpond.

Nicky
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:38 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Yes we are having the same problem with ours, Its been ok today though, but last weekend i think Sat it was off for most of the day. Also with Bigpond.

Nicky
That is reassuring, thanks. I did try and report it a couple of weeks ago and although their website said there were no service problems when I called the helpline it said there were long delays due to unusually high demand. I hung on for 10 minutes then hung up. It must be some sort of weekend engineering works - annoying that it moved to Sunday arvo / evening as that is when I speak to mum and dad on the webcam.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

That is reassuring, thanks. I did try and report it a couple of weeks ago and although their website said there were no service problems when I called the helpline it said there were long delays due to unusually high demand. I hung on for 10 minutes then hung up. It must be some sort of weekend engineering works - annoying that it moved to Sunday arvo / evening as that is when I speak to mum and dad on the webcam.
We're with bigpond on the Waneroo exchange as well and haven't had any problems at all.
Tracie
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
We're with bigpond on the Waneroo exchange as well and haven't had any problems at all.
Tracie

We are with Bigpond and in Carramar too................. no problems at all!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:04 am
A former regular of BE

Nicky, Tracie, John - are you on regular 1500 speed or 20000? maybe it is only those of us on the faster package [grasps at straws]
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky, Tracie, John - are you on regular 1500 speed or 20000? maybe it is only those of us on the faster package [grasps at straws]

Now you have got me we have wireless dont know if that makes a diffrence or not ? sorry not really technical im afraid

Nicky
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people, we are in Port Kennedy and have had this problem for a couple of months. I have been on the phone (again!) today to Bigpond and again they say they can't find a problem. Our only hope is to fit another filter box to our foxtel connection in the hope it solves this problem. (I only have the 264/67 package but am also upgrading to the 1500 package)
S xx
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:55 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Streaks
Hi people, we are in Port Kennedy and have had this problem for a couple of months. I have been on the phone (again!) today to Bigpond and again they say they can't find a problem. Our only hope is to fit another filter box to our foxtel connection in the hope it solves this problem. (I only have the 264/67 package but am also upgrading to the 1500 package)
S xx
Interesting. You are having the same trouble all the way down there. I have submitted a technical support email (still can't get through on the phone) so let's see how that goes.

I never thought Foxtel might have something to do with it. Are you on cable or satellite? We are satellite.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. You are having the same trouble all the way down there. I have submitted a technical support email (still can't get through on the phone) so let's see how that goes.

I never thought Foxtel might have something to do with it. Are you on cable or satellite? We are satellite.
We have Foxtel through satellite. We only found out we had a 'live' telephone socket in behind the tv on the weekend as we have been trying unsuccessfully to order a box office film unsuccessfully for some time and according to Foxtel we should have been able to. It turns out the installer had fitted a phone line extension running it through the cavity wall down into the theatre room which doesn't have a filter fitted so Bigpond technical support think this is the problem. When I have been to Dick Smiths to purchase another filter I will let you know if it solves the problem (hopefully tomorrow)
S xx
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:00 am
A former regular of BE

We have Foxtel through satellite. We only found out we had a 'live' telephone socket in behind the tv on the weekend as we have been trying unsuccessfully to order a box office film unsuccessfully for some time and according to Foxtel we should have been able to. It turns out the installer had fitted a phone line extension running it through the cavity wall down into the theatre room which doesn't have a filter fitted so Bigpond technical support think this is the problem. When I have been to Dick Smiths to purchase another filter I will let you know if it solves the problem (hopefully tomorrow)
S xx
This is getting weirder and weirder. We can't get Box Office either and haven't been able to for a long time. Of course we discover this on a Saturday night every few months but by the time the phone lines reopen on Monday have forgotten about it. I think we only have a Foxtel point in that room but there is an old phone point in the dining room where we used to have the computer.

That can't be it surely? We moved the PC 12 months ago and why would it only happen at weekends
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

This is getting weirder and weirder. We can't get Box Office either and haven't been able to for a long time. Of course we discover this on a Saturday night every few months but by the time the phone lines reopen on Monday have forgotten about it. I think we only have a Foxtel point in that room but there is an old phone point in the dining room where we used to have the computer.

That can't be it surely? We moved the PC 12 months ago and why would it only happen at weekends
well, Mark has done the same as you tried to order something but can't and it wasn't until he phoned on Sunday and insisted on ordering something verbally that they told him the computer info they had on us was that we were already connected. We had to unplug the phone and go and plug it in the socket that had mysteriously appeared (we thought was a dud) and the phone worked, we then plugged the foxtel back in and hey presto we could order the film. We still don't know where the extension is linked as there is no extension coming from the only other point in the house where the main phone (cordless) and computer are plugged in but Bigpond are certain this is the problem. The Foxtel engineer never mentioned anything about a phone line but apparently you have to have it linked to a phone line now (ours was connected in June) so he must have done it somehow through the cavity walls.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:20 am
A former regular of BE

well, Mark has done the same as you tried to order something but can't and it wasn't until he phoned on Sunday and insisted on ordering something verbally that they told him the computer info they had on us was that we were already connected. We had to unplug the phone and go and plug it in the socket that had mysteriously appeared (we thought was a dud) and the phone worked, we then plugged the foxtel back in and hey presto we could order the film. We still don't know where the extension is linked as there is no extension coming from the only other point in the house where the main phone (cordless) and computer are plugged in but Bigpond are certain this is the problem. The Foxtel engineer never mentioned anything about a phone line but apparently you have to have it linked to a phone line now (ours was connected in June) so he must have done it somehow through the cavity walls.
The pieces are coming together now. I used to get telemarketing calls from Foxtel offering to put my Foxtel bill in with my Telstra bill and couldn't work out why.

We have no phone point in that room, though, and have no intention of getting one.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Hi

not sure if this helps or not, but I'm in carramar too and have the faster internet via ADSL line (bigpond). worked fine, until we got foxtel and now whenever i try to download something, the strain of it kills the modem and i have to reset it.

After telstra and foxtel both passing the buck, it turns out the that foxtel engineer never installed something we should have had, which means unless another engineer comes back we'll never be able to order box office movies.

the engineer that came made out the job was oh so difficult, but basically they split the telephone line. we have a filter on it, but foxtel refusing to say its their problem, and telstra the same. I've given up now even trying to download anything (so much for continuing to watch my american trash tv!) but yes, i do get lots of periods where there is no internet for periods of time. I just turn off and do something else...i'm not technically minded to do anything else!

Good luck sorting yours out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.