Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Internet in Australia

Internet in Australia

Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Nick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really nice
Default Internet in Australia

Whats the best way to get a broadband internet account once over in Oz? do you have to sign up for a 12 month period, like in the UK. Is it usual to have cable, or ADSL. I have no idea where to start and being online will be one of my main priorities, to keep in touch with family and friends.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:11 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet in Australia

depends where you live - some places dont have cable, some places have adsl 2 some dont

I am with internode who I LOVE! No cancellation period, contract. Excellent customer service

Check out whirlpool.net forum theres heaps of discussion on there

Viv
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

LiseM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by viviennef
depends where you live - some places dont have cable, some places have adsl 2 some dont

I am with internode who I LOVE! No cancellation period, contract. Excellent customer service

Check out whirlpool.net forum theres heaps of discussion on there

Viv
Oooh, sorry to hijack thread, but I'm keen to know answers as well, especially to whether or not it's of any use for me to bring my wireless adsl router with me from the uk??
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Nick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really niceNick.d is just really nice

Originally Posted by LiseM
Oooh, sorry to hijack thread, but I'm keen to know answers as well, especially to whether or not it's of any use for me to bring my wireless adsl router with me from the uk??
I was wondering exactly the same thing
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:30 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

If you have a wireless modem/router it will work in Oz. That is, if you have an ADSL modem/router it will work with an ADSL service and if you have an ADSL2 modem/router it will work with both an ADSL2 service. I brought my ADSL2 modem/router with me from the UK and it works with the ADSL2 service from iiNet. The only thing you will need is a different cable to connect from your telephone point to your router as these are different than the UK.

HTH
Darren
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

pingpong is an unknown quantity at this point

Aussie internet in general is 3rd world compared with the UK. Overpriced, 2yr contracts, speeds that go up and down like a whores draws and obscene penaltys for going over an allocated download limit -some at 20c per mb = $200 per gig! Do your research on whirlpool as to where you live and if you just need a temp connection use a prepay wireless at around $50 for 4 gig pm.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:08 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pingpong
Aussie internet in general is 3rd world compared with the UK. Overpriced, 2yr contracts, speeds that go up and down like a whores draws and obscene penaltys for going over an allocated download limit -some at 20c per mb = $200 per gig! Do your research on whirlpool as to where you live and if you just need a temp connection use a prepay wireless at around $50 for 4 gig pm.
Depends what your experience is. Im with iiNet, ADSL2, 65Gig monthly allowance, line rental, 12 month contract and free Xbox downloads & game traffic all for $95pm (£45pm). I don't think too many 3rd world countries have that, do you?

Granted it's not the UK, but I'm not in the UK, I'm in Oz...
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:39 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Excess usage charges can be excessive so make sure you get an account that is shaped when your usage has expired, so you don't get smacked between the eyes with large bills. As for contracts, I am currently with AAPT - I think I paid $100 for installation and then just a monthly contract. Which is handy because I'm moving in a few weeks and planning on getting Internode Naked ADSL2+ so I could ring AAPT and cancel with no penalties

Internode BTW win the Whirlpool forum votes year on year. We resell their services through work and I would definitely recommend them any day of the week. You can either get free installation with a 24month contract or pay $129 for a rolling contract (minimum 3 months though I think). You can also get their Naked ADSL service, which doesn't require you to pay telephone line rental, saving about $30/mo.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:23 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
Internode BTW win the Whirlpool forum votes year on year.
Another vote for Internode. I use them and have recommended to a few with no complaints ...

Just avoid Bigpoo like the plague! ...
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

Go here and you'll find all the latest on Internet in Australia along with loads of useful advice from people experienced in using it. Register with them then you can ask questions and add comments.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: UK-OZ-UK -OZ HERE I COME AGAIN ! Back in Melbourne !!
McBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really niceMcBaine is just really nice

Hi Nick,
Yes, asthe other guys have mentioned go the the whirlpool site , its excellent.

The prices in Oz generally are slightly more expensive compared to the UK, probably due to the competition.

Avoid going with Big Pond ( Telstra ) equivalent to BT in the UK , they are not the best value for money, thats for sure.

I have used Internode and TPG, and are a thumbs up.

Goodluck
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pingpong
or from $ 24.90 pm for 5 Gbytes pm with offpeak counted at half rate, with no contract. Excess usage at $3 per Gigabyte, (or = $0.003 per megabyte). 15 email addresses, and web space included.

It does pay to shop around, wherever you are.

I was looking at a UK one the other day:
Price £17.57 pm no contract.
Data Allowance 1Gb with excess charged at £4.89 per Gb
Webspace extra £1.15 pm for 1Gb
Email extra £1.15 pcm per email

Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:09 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

just whatever you do don't go with virgin broadband WIRELESS. The reception is poor, very slow and i think im signed in for 2yr:curse:
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by betsyboob
just whatever you do don't go with virgin broadband WIRELESS. The reception is poor, very slow and i think im signed in for 2yr:curse:
Yeah, we tried that and it was piss poor. We were supposed to be well within the broadband zone, but couldn't get a signal. Fortunately returned mine within the 30 day trial period....

If broadband is important to you, check availability before you sign any rental agreements.....
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:36 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Yeah, we tried that and it was piss poor. We were supposed to be well within the broadband zone, but couldn't get a signal. Fortunately returned mine within the 30 day trial period....

If broadband is important to you, check availability before you sign any rental agreements.....
Though I hate to say it, the only 3G broadband worth having is Telstra.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.