Reload this Page >

Internet Access in Oz

Internet Access in Oz

Old Dec 28th 2002, 12:39 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Access in Oz

Hi,

Anyone know of an oz website with a guide to broadband coverage (possibly by postcode)?
The Telstra site is hopeless and they don't repond to email enquiries.

I know that it's sad but the availability of cable or dsl will have a fair degree of influence on where we decide to live.

Cheers

Perry
Old Dec 28th 2002, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

aliceJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this link (details found on Go Matilda)

http://www.cynosure.com.au/isp/

Should give you some insight
Old Dec 28th 2002, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Try http://www.cynosure.com.au/isp/
Old Dec 28th 2002, 4:05 pm
We arrived november 2004

Default Re: Internet Access in Oz

Thanks Alice and Stan,

That site was mainly about dialup but through it I found

http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au/

which had links to the info I needed, came as a shock though, I thought broadband in the UK was pricey!

They actually seem to have got away with the byte charge racket over there!

Cheers

Perry
Old Dec 28th 2002, 8:36 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Internet Access in Oz

Perry,

Here's the link on the Optus page, who's my cable provider :

http://cable.optusnet.com.au/availability.html?tas=nml

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by kentcoast
Hi,

Anyone know of an oz website with a guide to broadband coverage (possibly by postcode)?
The Telstra site is hopeless and they don't repond to email enquiries.

I know that it's sad but the availability of cable or dsl will have a fair degree of influence on where we decide to live.

Cheers

Perry
Old Dec 28th 2002, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Kentcoast

Out of interest what are they charging out there for Broadband each month?
Old Dec 29th 2002, 3:19 pm
We arrived november 2004

Originally posted by tinaj
Kentcoast

Out of interest what are they charging out there for Broadband each month?
Hi,

Prices vary from company to company with a typical 512/128 (equiv to our ADSL) ranging from just over $50au to about $100au depending on usage - it appears that you have to be very careful about your usage patterns. Going over your plan's download allowance seems to be a very expensive mistake.

Cheers

Perry
Old Dec 29th 2002, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thanks for that, this is the sort of info that makes this site priceless.
Average Uk broadbank is c £25 a month, so probably comparable. mind you is is limitlessuseage wise.
$100 seems a lot though!
Thanks again

Tina
Old Dec 29th 2002, 7:11 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Tina,

Optus charges $55-65 per month for 550Mb, or $70-80 per month for 3Gb, depending on whether you take out other services, like Cable TV and/or phone. Plus of course there's installation fees. Details can be found here :
http://cable.optusnet.com.au/pricing.html

With Optus, once you hit your download limit, they don't overcharge you, your speed is just 'throttled' down to 28k (enough for standard email) until the end of your billing month. Then you go back to your nomal speed again. I believe most, if not all, of the other cable operators charge extra for going over your limits.

Apart from a shaky start with getting my account setup, everything has been fine with my cable connection, I would recommend them.

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by kentcoast
Hi,

Prices vary from company to company with a typical 512/128 (equiv to our ADSL) ranging from just over $50au to about $100au depending on usage - it appears that you have to be very careful about your usage patterns. Going over your plan's download allowance seems to be a very expensive mistake.

Cheers

Perry
Old Dec 30th 2002, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pread
Tina,

Optus charges $55-65 per month for 550Mb, or $70-80 per month for 3Gb, depending on whether you take out other services, like Cable TV and/or phone. Plus of course there's installation fees. Details can be found here :
http://cable.optusnet.com.au/pricing.html

With Optus, once you hit your download limit, they don't overcharge you, your speed is just 'throttled' down to 28k (enough for standard email) until the end of your billing month. Then you go back to your nomal speed again. I believe most, if not all, of the other cable operators charge extra for going over your limits.

Apart from a shaky start with getting my account setup, everything has been fine with my cable connection, I would recommend them.

Cheers,
Paul.
Hi, Probably a silly question but do aol operate over there and if they do what are the monthly charges for regular not broadband.
Old Dec 30th 2002, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future
Default Broadband

Slightly off topic ... but to those folk who can't live without Broadband ... what's the killer ap. What do you enjoy most about Broadband versus Dial-up ?
Old Dec 30th 2002, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broadband

Just got broadband, couldn't now live without it. Speed, speed, speed.
Also sending big email files fast, downloading music kazaa, also hope to webcam better..
Mash...

Originally posted by Stan J
Slightly off topic ... but to those folk who can't live without Broadband ... what's the killer ap. What do you enjoy most about Broadband versus Dial-up ?
Old Dec 30th 2002, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Appreciate what you are saying ... but not swayed yet.

Large Emails (ok to a party with broadband but otherwise you can annoy the recpient on Dial-up)

Kaaza / Music won't do it for me. Extra £120 pa more than meet my music needs (I pay £9pm in UK and about the same when in Oz with untimed local calls for about 20 hours a week - dial up).

Webcam Ok but again you are only as fast as the other party's connection.
Old Dec 30th 2002, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Roopuncher is an unknown quantity at this point

Try http://whirlpool.net.au forum covers all broadband suppliers in aus.