Internet

Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet

Originally Posted by deb68
It's not a naked connection, it's a bog standard home phone/internet bundle with 20gb a month usage. We only use the phone very occasionally and the net for emails etc, O/H does his photo manipulation stuff so gets source images off net and the kids do what kids do on the net
There are two computers in the house one will be on the ethernet connection via phone socket and the other will be wireless connection, using the router (netgear)
Should be ok with that Modem in that case. Voip is a fraction of the cost of normal phone calls so you need to be very mindful of that issue. IInet voip works really well. Most of your phone bill will comprise of Mobile call charges. 1 Call can cost you 3 bucks on stock standard phone lines..
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:08 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
Thanks for replies it's actually this unit http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail...ss-N/INNTG8007
Sorry to say it mate, but that model is pretty old technology - only has wireless "G" capability (slow in todays range), whereas the DGN1000 at least has "N" but then only N150 whereas the BoB2 has N300. I'm surprised that shops still even sell wireless G units!

My advice is that unless you know your way around the technology, let iinet take care of the pain of selection and go with their model. They're not ripping you off - there are good reasons why the other options you are looking at cost less.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Sorry to say it mate, but that model is pretty old technology - only has wireless "G" capability (slow in todays range), whereas the DGN1000 at least has "N" but then only N150 whereas the BoB2 has N300. I'm surprised that shops still even sell wireless G units!

My advice is that unless you know your way around the technology, let iinet take care of the pain of selection and go with their model. They're not ripping you off - there are good reasons why the other options you are looking at cost less.
One good reason for wanting the N wireless version could be streaming video around the house in the future. The OP may think he may not need it.... Thing is thats the way TV and Media is heading.. He and his wife may not... the kids probably will at some point.

Has the OP thought about how he will get by with Aus TV ? Lets put it this way I use PS3 Media Server to stream movies to my sons and daughters Xbox and PS3 and I get the majority of content from thebox.bz

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 19th 2011 at 9:50 pm.