Internet

Old Mar 17th 2005, 6:46 pm
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough
Default Internet

We move to oz in april and are looking to rent for the first yer.But when you rent a place are you alowed to have the internet put in i say this as with some broadband companys they use a a cable line and dont use the telephone line
Old Mar 17th 2005, 7:24 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Internet

Originally Posted by Homer
We move to oz in april and are looking to rent for the first yer.But when you rent a place are you alowed to have the internet put in i say this as with some broadband companys they use a a cable line and dont use the telephone line

Where are you moving to? This may limit you in some instances to what type of internet you can have anyway.
I'm currently housesitting for a friend in a rented apartment, and she has broadband. However its a new apt block in the centre of the city, so I wouldn't be surprised if the building had even come with the option of hooking it up.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 7:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Homer
ADSL just uses your normal phone line so as long as the copper is good enough and you are close enough to an ADSL enabled exchange you should be fine. I rent a unit and have no issues with ADSL. When I move I inform the ISP and with a $100 charge they will shift the ADSL to a new line.

The 2 cable providers are Optus and Foxtel. You can get Foxtel in units where there is the cabling. Neither are particularly good for internet access, especially Foxtel which is uses Helstra.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:05 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I don't know anything about cable broadband here.

Yes, you can have broadband in rentals.
They come with phone lines but no numbers.
We arranged a Telstra account in advance to start on the day we moved in.
Used dial-up and moved to broadband as soon as we could.

For broadband info........http://www.whirlpool.net.au/
For a really good deal....http://www.tpg.com.au/

Even if an area is broadband enabled there are some reasons you still may not be able to get it though.

Number of "slots" at the exchange may be limited so already used.

One of our friends bought a brand new house in an enabled area but can't get it because Telstra started using a new type of phone cable that is not compatible ! Needless to say there has been a bit of ado about that.