Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

International money order - western union?

International money order - western union?

Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:34 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default International money order - western union?

Hi Folks, I need to send the aussie federal police 36 bucks for my clearnce via "international money order" - now the dickheads at my bank and postoffice only know about a "western union" transfer....is this the same ? And is it accepted by the federal police ? I dont wanna send them the wrong papers as it takes 6 weeks to get it anyway....anyone here done this before from outside australia ? Thanks heaps in advance....
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default Re: International money order - western union?

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
Hi Folks, I need to send the aussie federal police 36 bucks for my clearnce via "international money order" - now the dickheads at my bank and postoffice only know about a "western union" transfer....is this the same ? And is it accepted by the federal police ? I dont wanna send them the wrong papers as it takes 6 weeks to get it anyway....anyone here done this before from outside australia ? Thanks heaps in advance....
Won't they accept payment by credit card? It would be a lot easier
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:46 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
Won't they accept payment by credit card? It would be a lot easier
I dont know it says on the form that they want this money order when applying from overseas......
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:50 am
rudo1ph

Western Union is usually used by people who don't have bank accounts where they can cash a cheque.......it's often used when sending money to third world countries. Not sure if the police here would use that - but I could be wrong!! Also, when I used Western Union recently it cost me $35 to send it!!!

Hope you get it sorted out

Rudi

Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:55 am
Melbourne Rock City

[QUOTE=rudo1ph]Western Union is usually used by people who don't have bank accounts where they can cash a cheque.......it's often used when sending money to third world countries. Not sure if the police here would use that - but I could be wrong!! Also, when I used Western Union recently it cost me $35 to send it!!!

Hope you get it sorted out

Rudi[/QUOTE

Maybe I just send a cheque?
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:58 am
rudo1ph

If you find out who it needs to be made payable to and get your bank to issue it in Aus dollars then I don't see that that would be a problem - maybe call the police tomorrow check?

Good luck

Rudi

Old Jan 5th 2005, 11:33 am
Melbourne Rock City

Ill give em a ring tomorrow....
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

Hi,
we had the same problem, it would have cost £15 to send a bankers cheque in Aussie dollar, some banks take a few days to process, HSBC do it straight away if they have any cheques, which they had run out!!
We phoned the Australian Federal Police in Canberra and they said although they don't recommend it you can send cash. You have to send the exact amount in Aussie dollar, you can't send more as they can't process it or something!!!
We sent the cash and got the certificate back no problem. Don't forget to send the pre-paid international reply certificate, you get that from the post office, it cosy about 80p per person.
We sent by internationally signed for. It's upto you.
Hope this helps,
All the Best Marie.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:19 pm
Melbourne Rock City

Originally Posted by neil&momo
Hi,
we had the same problem, it would have cost £15 to send a bankers cheque in Aussie dollar, some banks take a few days to process, HSBC do it straight away if they have any cheques, which they had run out!!
We phoned the Australian Federal Police in Canberra and they said although they don't recommend it you can send cash. You have to send the exact amount in Aussie dollar, you can't send more as they can't process it or something!!!
We sent the cash and got the certificate back no problem. Don't forget to send the pre-paid international reply certificate, you get that from the post office, it cosy about 80p per person.
We sent by internationally signed for. It's upto you.
Hope this helps,
All the Best Marie.
that is great news ! I was hoping that I could send but wasnt sure....I might give em a ring in the morning anyway but Im happy to take the risk....I..this IMO is a drama, nobody here in my area can help, they are all lazy as.....so if I can really send it cash that would be great....and I should be able to get this IRC as well.....thanks for your help !!!!!!!!!

Oh and how long from the day you send them everything did you have to wait until you got it back ?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

that is great news ! I was hoping that I could send but wasnt sure....I might give em a ring in the morning anyway but Im happy to take the risk....I..this IMO is a drama, nobody here in my area can help, they are all lazy as.....so if I can really send it cash that would be great....and I should be able to get this IRC as well.....thanks for your help !!!!!!!!!

Oh and how long from the day you send them everything did you have to wait until you got it back ?
Hi, when you phone them just tell them how much trouble you are having getting a money order etc. and would it be ok to send cash. You shouldn't have any problems.

It took about 30 days for my husbands Aussie PC but mine took and extra 2-3 weeks because I got married after the working holiday in OZ. So they had to check my maiden name as well as my married name!!

Hope this helps, good luck Marie