Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

An interesting night out

An interesting night out

Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:24 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default An interesting night out

A very nice couple invited me for a night out here in Auckland - because I am over here consulting and only get home fly backs to Sydney every other week.

Another consulting colleague came with me (an Aussie I am mates with for two years). The couple we joined Chap, an ex pom, 1967 move and his Kiwi born wife and their South African neighbours (9 years).

So a very diverse group in terms of background. The topics of conversation were varied and interesting but as the night went on...I found myself more and more defensive. I was finding myself cross at the ignorance of the UK, I was asked to agree with the following -

I must be enjoying the weather, (this was stated seriously, while the tail end of a cyclone was raging outside)

I must be enjoying the bigger houses and space (I had a four bed, 3 receptions, 2.5 bath, double garage in the UK)

The lack of business sense in the UK was lacking compared to the progressive Kiwis, because the UK is based on class. And the Kiwis (she) despaired of working with brits cause they were so slow and desperate for approval never taking charge of anything and never taking responsibility.

Our cleaning habits in the UK are very odd, because we have plastic bowls in the sink and carpets in the bathroom, and must be very very cold, did the family all fit in the small cars?

Was I enjoying the travel, so much more to see in NZ, because there was nothing in the UK but houses and black people.

The repressed English attitude must be stiffling (I think this statement was based on a meeting with a lady the kiwi had met who ran a B&B in Brokenhurst - but whom am I to know!)

..........believe me this was the tip of the iceberg in terms of how the crap the UK must be......

But then the conversation turned to Aus......crap housing, too hot weather, high prices and crap taxes........not going there it was too much!

When I even tried to defend any part of the UK or Aus...I was whinging....!

Now before you all start on! I had an enjoyable evening! - I like meeting all sorts (cause I am one) but I never knew what a UK ite I was or the crap one I had in Aus, I spent most of the evening keeping it in. I never left the UK cause I thought it was crap - I left for some fun and adventure - My aussie mate and I had breakfast the next morning and we never laughed so much....she mostly at me! She decided I must have been repressed and unhappy in the UK because I have a plastic bowl in my sink (still) and the wrong accent! Apparently that bowl thing is a UK thing and very very wrong...oh and carpet in my bathroom!

This thread is not really about anything, but it took me coming to Auckland to be homesick for Aus. It took me coming away from the life I live in Sydney to appreciate my mates (yes the brits, the aussies, the PEOPLE) I have there as well as the ones in the UK I still miss. I laugh at myself very much and know my homesickness is strange to some to me it is very real - this evening meant something to me cause I know I do not want to run down the UK to fit in here, there or anywhere. I am proud of where I come from (lets not start on the fact I am from Belfast!).

I have an invite to go back for a meal before I head back to Sydney full time.............? Well if I do it I will go prepared, possibly with ear plugs!

Cheers
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:33 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Trevor Baylis O.B.E.: Inventor of the freeplay wind up radio
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

AHA!!...so you have finally met one... (the chippus shoulderous kiwi) Bloody place is full of them....i have never been to a place so full of cultural cringe in my entire life!!....imagine having to live with that attitude on a daily basis!!...thank god i got out
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An interesting night out

LOL Sandra - what an evening. Tongue must be sore from continuous biting!

It's amazing what pictures people have in their minds - that Britain is a wet, grey, depressing dump with a population density of 400 people per square foot (although the bathroom carpet is a new one on me - didn't realise my life was soooo bad cos I have a carpet in my bathroom!!)

I came across attitudes like this a lot - especially once I had announced my decision to return to UK ("ooh, why on earth would you want to go back THERE? It always rains" - this was from Aussies who had never left Australia, never mind visit Britain. But at the same time, British friends who had never set foot in Oz had their own vision of Australia - sun, BBQs, laid back, no worries, all play no work, etc - and would ask "are you mad? Leaving paradise for this dump?"

Cloud cuckoo land, that's all I can say!
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've had the weird looks over the plastic washing-up bowl.... yet to me it makes sense, tip the dregs into the sink, not into the washing-up water. And the carpet in the bathroom - its OK to drape wet towels across the floor, and walk on them, but not to have a carpet!
Tonight I got an ear-bashing because I didn't phone my new rellies to discuss the hot weather with them. Apparently I should have rung because of the "change in the weather"......I countered with "I'm British, if I rang people everytime the weather changed, I'd never do anything else!" & I got a stony silence. Probably never speak to me again.

Sandra, I hope you enjoy the dinner party - please give us another post like that after it - that was brilliant! You need a medal for sufferance!!!
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:47 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
AHA!!...so you have finally met one... (the chippus shoulderous kiwi) Bloody place is full of them....i have never been to a place so full of cultural cringe in my entire life!!....imagine having to live with that attitude on a daily basis!!...thank god i got out
PP - you made me crack up laughing!

daily?.....and I was on here 'whinging' about one night.....I admire you in staying 2.5 years wasn't it. The place (NZ) I am finding is great and the majority are brill.....but it only takes one!
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sandra
PP - you made me crack up laughing!

daily?.....and I was on here 'whinging' about one night.....I admire you in staying 2.5 years wasn't it. The place (NZ) I am finding is great and the majority are brill.....but it only takes one!

Will you admire me even more if i told you i married one too!!! ?

OK,OK,...so he doesnt suffer from cultural cringe, but i am sure he thinks he's gone up in the world marrying a pom...... (bugger..i better duck for cover now...i'm off!) :scared:
Old Feb 29th 2004, 12:00 pm
Gone Senile Member

Now do not get me started - when Brockenhurst was mentioned I stared telling a tail about camping there (often!) and was gaped at that we left the house! (me owns three tents and the whole gear). Do not get much chanch here in Aus Hubbie works most weekends - but I am going to go! I was laughed at when I said the wild ponies are a problem! AND they ARE!

ha ha ha ponies!.....you will be whinging about the dogs next! eh!

Polly - ditch the plastic bowl! Now....I haven't and it only gets worse from here on in! I am considering getting my replacement brought over from the UK! Cause I can't get the colours...size etc to match..........and my plastic has to match my kettle!!!! Ah shoot me now I am being serious (her without a double sink drainer!)

Hidden paw - if you are still here....please fit a carpet in your bathroom before you go -----or at least talk about it!!!! And report on here,,,,, please! Or for those reading....try it...great conversation!

cheers
Old Feb 29th 2004, 1:04 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now you know why they're known as the "South Sea Poms"....
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:23 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Are they worse than the shoulder chippus Aussie? Its funny how people become over defensive of their country and attack everywhere else as their argument. The perception of British weather is one of the funniest topics that can come up. Auckland is hardly one the worlds sun spots.