Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interesting Article on BBC Site

Interesting Article on BBC Site

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting Article on BBC Site

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3770071.stm?display=1

There is a Poll, the results are quite surprising.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:08 am
mickj

These polls have been running from as far as i can remember, and the thing is, people might go away for a while, but they end up coming back to the UK.

Can you actually see people going to these places:Croatia, Turkey, India, China, Russia, Indonesia and Brazil? There is the language barrier to start with, brits are not known for the multi-lingualism.

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:13 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mickj
These polls have been running from as far as i can remember, and the thing is, people might go away for a while, but they end up coming back to the UK.

Can you actually see people going to these places:Croatia, Turkey, India, China, Russia, Indonesia and Brazil? There is the language barrier to start with, brits are not known for the multi-lingualism.
I thougt that too - Indonesia? Brazil? maybe if you're on the run from the law.

The word "emigrating" is used a lot and it is an interesting one. Does someone retiring to Spain "emigrate"? I suppose if you look at the definition of the word in the dictionary then they have emigrated.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 3:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Selamat petang. Apa khabar anda hari ini?

A few people settle in those countries, one of my best mates who is currently still in Sing ( he's a scot) married to an Indonesian lady will be retiring to Indonesia.He's been in Asia far too long to want to go back to his homeland, around 25 years I seem to recall

Not all Westerners are the same. And I'm sure if you were educated in the UK you must have learnt some French in school

If you go to a country or a place that English is not used much, most people do pick up the language... you have to or you will have difficulty fitting in and getting by. Trouble with Spain and such.. I think it's the type of expat that goes there.. a lot of them want to take their little England with them.

Actually I'm always amazed by people who can learn the English language.. it must be such a hard language to learn. I'm British and I can't for life of me understand the cockneys.

Also what is almost 25% of the welsh nation who can speak both languages? All British people are not the same. It's a bit of generalisation to say Brit's are not not known to speak other languages.. shite I'm typing a foreign language now .. English

cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 3:18 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by Ceri
Trouble with Spain and such.. I think it's the type of expat that goes there.. a lot of them want to take their little England with them.
Sounds a bit like Perth
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Selamat petang. Apa khabar anda hari ini?

A few people settle in those countries, one of my best mates who is currently still in Sing ( he's a scot) married to an Indonesian lady will be retiring to Indonesia.He's been in Asia far too long to want to go back to his homeland, around 25 years I seem to recall

Not all Westerners are the same. And I'm sure if you were educated in the UK you must have learnt some French in school

If you go to a country or a place that English is not used much, most people do pick up the language... you have to or you will have difficulty fitting in and getting by. Trouble with Spain and such.. I think it's the type of expat that goes there.. a lot of them want to take their little England with them.

Actually I'm always amazed by people who can learn the English language.. it must be such a hard language to learn. I'm British and I can't for life of me understand the cockneys.

Also what is almost 25% of the welsh nation who can speak both languages? All British people are not the same. It's a bit of generalisation to say Brit's are not not known to speak other languages.. shite I'm typing a foreign language now .. English

cheers
I agree with Ceri!

I live in Hong Kong and can speak fairly fluent Cantonese, (not an easy language by any means).

Also, I would seriously consider retirement in Malaysia, where to be frank most people can speak good English, but almost all the Chinese there use Cantonese (and English)......so I should be alright on the communications side of things.

Whilst language can be a barrier, it's not always the case. Brits 'can' learn other languages with the correct motivation.

I am totally amazed that as much as 1 in 3 people in the UK are 'apparently' planning to emmigrate.........this was maybe why we had the British Empire, somewhere to go!

Cheers.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 4:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by paddythepilot
I agree with Ceri!

I live in Hong Kong and can speak fairly fluent Cantonese, (not an easy language by any means).

Also, I would seriously consider retirement in Malaysia, where to be frank most people can speak good English, but almost all the Chinese there use Cantonese (and English)......so I should be alright on the communications side of things.

Whilst language can be a barrier, it's not always the case. Brits 'can' learn other languages with the correct motivation.

I am totally amazed that as much as 1 in 3 people in the UK are 'apparently' planning to emmigrate.........this was maybe why we had the British Empire, somewhere to go!

Cheers.
Depends where in Malaysia.. some of these little towns only the young school age children can speak English. I can speak basic Malay for this reason. I used to travel a lot and thought it was only right to learn their language, and once you learn Malay nearly all Indonesians will understand you too ( very similar).. it's a bit odd doing a mime.. trying to order something... and them rolling around laughing
And the thing is too, you will get further by learning their language.. they are happy that you are learning their language and not the other way around.

Malay is a pretty easy language to pick up, so you should have no probs with that..

What I used to do is ask "the man on the street" for the pronunciations. if I had difficulty with a certain word ... learning from a book is cr*p, also I used to sit and watch the Malay films and news channel.. to get it right.. as if you learn from a book you sound odd.. it's too pronounced.. a bit like sounding like the Queen!

But you'll find most people in Malaysia only too happy to help you.. most people love it when you are taking the time to learn their language

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 3rd 2004 at 4:06 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Depends where in Malaysia.. some of these little towns only the young school age children can speak English. I can speak basic Malay for this reason. I used to travel a lot and thought it was only right to learn their language, and once you learn Malay nearly all Indonesians will understand you too ( very similar).. it's a bit odd doing a mime.. trying to order something... and them rolling around laughing
And the thing is too, you will get further by learning their language.. they are happy that you are learning their language and not the other way around.

Malay is a pretty easy language to pick up, so you should have no probs with that..

What I used to do is ask "the man on the street" for the pronunciations. if I had difficulty with a certain word ... learning from a book is cr*p, also I used to sit and watch the Malay films and news channel.. to get it right.. as if you learn from a book you sound odd.. it's too pronounced.. a bit like sounding like the Queen!

But you'll find most people in Malaysia only too happy to help you.. most people love it when you are taking the time to learn their language

Ceri,

I couldn't agree more!

Cerainly Cantonese is bloody useful here in Hong Kong, and southern China. Easy to jump in a taxi and get them to actually take you where you want.....without going round the houses.

I get discounts in some shops too!

It's funny, I was talking about retirement to Malaysia with another 'Irish' bloke at work who pointed out that you are more likely to suffer from Culture Shock moving to France or Spain than Malaysia!

Athough he was refering to the fact that it would be a 'softer landing' in Malaysia because I have been living in Hong Kong for so many years.

Asia kinda gets in your blood eh?

Cheers.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:17 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mickj
..and the thing is, people might go away for a while, but they end up coming back to the UK.
Hi Mick

I see you're in 'sunny Ontario'. Are you a Brit? Where in Oz are you intending to go, or have you been and gone on to Canada now?

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:33 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Interesting Article on BBC Site

Originally posted by renth
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3770071.stm?display=1

There is a Poll, the results are quite surprising.
Hiya renth,

I think it's interesting that so many people won't to leave the UK.
Could it be the cat ios out of the bag and the UK isn't so good if you are paying all the tax's and getting nothing back??

I am surprised that there arn't more programmes on TV about people moving abroad, come on tv shows.

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 7:48 am
(It's not my real name)

Default Re: Interesting Article on BBC Site

Originally posted by markeh
Hiya renth,

I think it's interesting that so many people won't to leave the UK.
Could it be the cat ios out of the bag and the UK isn't so good if you are paying all the tax's and getting nothing back??

I am surprised that there arn't more programmes on TV about people moving abroad, come on tv shows.

Bye
Mark
Mark,

The TV in the UK is full of programs about moving to Australia. They even showed A New Life Down Under over here.

The few times I saw it I couldn't believe how much crap and misinformation they came out with about Australia, like, "you need £40,000 to get in" or "because the cost of living os so much cheaper in Australia..."
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I think a lot of people 'dream' of leaving the Uk. The climate and Rat Race have a lot to do with it and th eprice of everything there. However it takes a lots of guts and effort to actually give everything up and go, so most people only ever dream of it.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

This quote from BBC News:
Britons seek a better lifestyle

Paulene Grant, UK Relocation Services spokeswoman, says Britons choose to emigrate for a number of reasons...

"But I do think a lot of people go because of the weather and the fact the grass always seems greener on the other side.

"They go to live the dream of having this better lifestyle.

"Some people also go because of emotional reasons. Life may be bad and they just want to escape from it all by relocating abroad."

Emigrate

Despite the fact that many Britons relocate abroad, she said that most tend to move back after about three years.

Chartered psychologist Linda Kerr claims the reason for this is that living overseas is not always as attractive as it first seems.

She said: "Generally people go away because they think life is going to be better.

"They sometimes want to do this because they get certain feelings on holiday and they romanticise about what it would be like to live there.

"They tend to focus on the best aspects and think it will be like this all the time when often that is not the case.

"Making enough money and getting work can be more difficult abroad than at home and people tend to find they miss the things they took for granted."
Makes you wonder how many people really want to 'live the dream' or are just living in a dreamworld?
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:09 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I think it's the type of expat that goes there.. a lot of them want to take their little England with them.
Sounds very much like the attitude a few of the English on this board have had moving to Australia (and back).
Old Jun 4th 2004, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Lili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default from BBC news

Originally posted by renth
I thougt that too - Indonesia? Brazil? maybe if you're on the run from the law.

The word "emigrating" is used a lot and it is an interesting one. Does someone retiring to Spain "emigrate"? I suppose if you look at the definition of the word in the dictionary then they have emigrated.

ts ts ts, that's not polite ... Have you ever been to Brazil? I have and I can guarantee there are lots of immigrants, and good ones!

Think twice before talking without knowledge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.