Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interest showed In our house....BUT

Interest showed In our house....BUT

Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of
Default Interest showed In our house....BUT

Yep funny thing happened today,there I was messing about on the side of the house and I heard footsteps coming down the drive it turned out to be a neighbour from further up the Close.He asked me how things were going with all the Oz stuff(as we've spoke about it before) we babbled on for a bit and then he said that he'd mentioned to his mate that there might be a property going up for sale in his road(our house), and his mate has asked us for a figure based on a quick sell!! ...blimey.
The chap I understand knows we're looking for a quick sale as soon as we're ready to go,so he'll buy for a cheaper price(than estate agents) and then sell on again for the market price?...Thing is our agent has told us our Visa's are a formality but ..we havent had our meds yet (due soon we hope??) so what do we do??.....

Estate Agents valuation £ 228.000
Interested Party £ 210.000
Bond £10.000 ..so he doesnt change his mind until our Visa comes

We havent even got a board up ,yet someone seems interested
As long as he knows we aint gonna budge until we have that Visa stamp,at least we know we have a sale!! What do you think folks yeh or ney??

The people involved all seem pukka and are property developers so It all seems like business to me??
I hope some1 replies as it took me chuffin' ages to type this

Last edited by SBUK; Jan 17th 2006 at 8:17 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:03 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Interest showed In our house....BUT

Originally Posted by SBUK
Yep funny thing happened today,there I was messing about on the side of the house and I heard footsteps comming down the drive it turned out to be a neighbour from further up the Close.He asked me how things were going with all the Oz stuff(as we've spoke about it before) we babbled on for a bit and then he said that he'd mentioned to his mate that there might be a property going up for sale in his road(our house), and his mate has asked us for a figure based on a quick sell!! ...blimey.
The chap I understand knows we're looking for a quick sale as soon as we're ready to go,so he'll buy for a cheaper price(than estate agents) and then sell on again for the market price?...Thing is our agent has told us our Visa's are a formality but ..we havent had our meds yet (due soon we hope??) so what do we do??.....

As long as he knows we aint gonna budge until we have that Visa stamp,at least we know we have a sale!! What do you think folks yeh or ney??

The people involved all seem pukka and are property developers so It all seems like business to me??
hiya if you can afford to take 18000 less for your house and they are willing to give you a bond why not as long as they are aware it is all subject to your visa then good on ya go for it

poshrice
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:08 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interest showed In our house....BUT

mmmmm

that really is a hard one

heart says yes its great no worries

head says hang on 18 grand is a lot to give away

?????????????

ya got me

sorry i cant help but good luck and whatever you decide it will be whats right

jan xx
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Thing is Posh...228 is top wack! personally I dont think its worth that much...Saying can you afford to loose 18k makes me grin cause I can't!!! If we wait for a buyer (the market around here is a bit flat) I can see us still being here this time next year So to save on the agro of estate agents and house 'browsers' that will put in offers anyway! why not come to a figure that we can both agree on and know when to move on??..my bloody head's spinning ....another sleepless night
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:28 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet you could squeeze another 7 or 8k out of them. I would. It's a lot of money to 'lose'!

Lucy
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:44 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

We accepted offer in August last year for 8000 less than we were asking as it was a buyer with no chain and we thought great should be a quick sale lets put it this way we don't complete till friday so like i say you know what is best for you if you say 228 is top whack try and push for another 7or 8000 as previous poster said they can only say no.

poshrice
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
I bet you could squeeze another 7 or 8k out of them. I would. It's a lot of money to 'lose'!

Lucy
We are selling our house "with contents" as we are hoping to attract a property developer, landlord or first time buyer. Means we can add a few £K to price though as we have something to bargain with

Just something for you to think about. Don't know if you want to take everything or not
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:29 pm
Tired but Happy

We did that wendy is only a small house so not much furniture but got us an extra 1000 i suppose it all makes a difference.

Poshrice
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshrice
We did that wendy is only a small house so not much furniture but got us an extra 1000 i suppose it all makes a difference.

Poshrice

Thanks that's good to know
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

We ended up dropping by 25000 pounds, this time last year. Our main aim was to get to Oz, we had a buyer who couldn't sell his and so we dropped so that he could drop also.
Ultimately, whatever the estate agents say, a house is only worth as much as people are prepared to pay for it.
If you accept the offer, how much estate agent's fees will you save? Also what is the market like in your area? If you decline the offer each month it's on the market will increase your costs (I'm assuming you have a mortgage).

In summary:
Pros -
You can move to Oz as soon as visa received (any estimates of time?)
Guaranteed offer - no agents' fees, no keeping it spotless, no worry that it won't sell

Cons -
You might get a better offer on the current open market
You might not want to move as soon as visa received
The housing market might move on by the time you are ready to sell and you will be able to get more than his offer.

For me the decision would be based on estimated time to get the visa, planned move dates, speed of housing market, at least 3 estate agent valuations, cost of monthly mortgage if house stayed on market longer, cost of agents' fees. Ultimately we decided that we were being held back from our dream by money and the dream was worth more than holding out for a few thousand more.

We haven't regretted it!

Hope this helps,

Rachel.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Maverick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya
we sold our house 2 years ago it was on the market for 6 months and we ended up takin an offer 5000 below its asking price then the estate agents wanted another 5000 for selling it
so i would take his bond at least you got a sale as soon as you get ya visa and no estate agent bill
hope all goes well
Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Jim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=SBUK]

HI

A bond of £10,000 is peanuts for a developer, if you are serious about taking their offer I would ask for a much higher bond. I have sold many properties to developers and if anyone will mess you around or pull out at the last minute it will be them. Don't forget they know all the tricks in the book.
It wouldn't do any harm to speak to your solicitor and see what they advise.
Good Luck
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:16 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SBUK
Yep funny thing happened today,there I was messing about on the side of the house and I heard footsteps coming down the drive it turned out to be a neighbour from further up the Close.He asked me how things were going with all the Oz stuff(as we've spoke about it before) we babbled on for a bit and then he said that he'd mentioned to his mate that there might be a property going up for sale in his road(our house), and his mate has asked us for a figure based on a quick sell!! ...blimey.

Estate agents consistently over-value houses. And it could take months to sell. We're looking at some houses in a Hampshire village that have been on the market for well over 6 months. So I reckon his/her offer is not too bad for a quick sale.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably go with it if I were you as long as you can protect your interests properly. You will need advice from a solicitor about the bond and protecting yourselves from being messed around.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

ianp will become famous soon enoughianp will become famous soon enough

An offer is an offer at the end of the day and you wouldn't have all the aggro with Estate Agents, I would be inclined to accept as I know people who try and hold out for a price and then have to follow the market down.