Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interdependent Partner Visa Application

Interdependent Partner Visa Application

Old Oct 6th 2003, 11:47 am
Just Joined

tammi+mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interdependent Partner Visa Application

I am Australian, my partner of just over 1 year is English. We have all the documents we need to send off for his visa, however we are not engaged or married.
Has anyone had this type of visa approved? We are a bit worried that it will be rejected because we have only just passed the one year mark and we haven't got a house or anything like that together.
We live with my partner's parents at the moment, and we are only doing that so we can save enough money to buy a house when we actually get to Australia.
It says on the website that it should only take 4 months until you hear back, but some people have been waiting for longer, and my visa expires in September of next year and I will have to go home. Only thing is, I want him to come with me!
Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:46 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you satisfy the criteria for the interdependent visa (I'm doing de facto, but it's much the same) and can provide the kind of proof DIMIA requires, you should be okay. There are others in your situation - run a search on this forum, possibly under 'de facto' and see what comes up. Pollyana often suggests this one, but check out the threads by AnthonyKirby - he applied for a de facto visa and his whole story is documented on this forum.

You don't have to own a house together - there are plenty of other ways of proving your relationship. Again, I think AnthonyKirby provided just about every scrap of paper known to man, so you might get some tips there. You can provide statutory declarations from people (eg your partner's parents) to prove that you have been living together.

The processing time seems to vary a good deal although it is much quicker for de facto/interdependent type visas as opposed to skilled migration. They do mention four months on the forms...some people get theirs in a matter of days, others take longer. It seems to depend on the quality of your application, so glean lots of info from this forum. You should easily have the visa by Sept 2004, provided you have all the relevant info in your application.

Good luck!
Old Oct 6th 2003, 2:47 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

You might also want to post this thread in the Australia & New Zealand Immigration section...
Old Oct 6th 2003, 3:35 pm
WBB

hi i am also applying for a spouse (de facto) visa early next year and have already started gathering documents and getting things organised i am using a few snippets from this site as my bible take a look at the links below and i hope they help.

contents

contents 2

de facto

regards billy.

Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:29 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interdependent Partner Visa Application

Originally posted by tammi+mike
I am Australian, my partner of just over 1 year is English. We have all the documents we need to send off for his visa, however we are not engaged or married.
Has anyone had this type of visa approved? We are a bit worried that it will be rejected because we have only just passed the one year mark and we haven't got a house or anything like that together.
We live with my partner's parents at the moment, and we are only doing that so we can save enough money to buy a house when we actually get to Australia.
It says on the website that it should only take 4 months until you hear back, but some people have been waiting for longer, and my visa expires in September of next year and I will have to go home. Only thing is, I want him to come with me!
Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks
Inter dependant partner visa is mainly for but not limited to same sex couples. De Facto visas are for heterosexual couples. You can do 2 things to help the application go a bit faster (not guaranteed).

1 front end load your medicals and police checks
2 Make a clear concise index of evidence to help the case officer.

I applied for a de facto visa with my partner when we had been together for over 3 1/2 years. Processing was a couple of weeks short of the 4 months.

How long have you 2 been living together? How far back does your evidence go back? I remember that the first evidence that I could have used for DIMIA only started 3 months after the start of the relationship.

If your evidence does not go back a year then wait until it does.

Good luck and the most important booklet is 1127 from www.immi.gov.au/allforms