Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insurance for Japanese import vehicles

Insurance for Japanese import vehicles

Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default Insurance for Japanese import vehicles

Hi everyone

Has anybody who has already settled in Oz, every brought a Japanese import vehicle, we are looking at buying a 7 seater van, but are having problems getting anyone to insure it.
any advice?

yve
:lecture:
Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:31 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Insurance for Japanese import vehicles

Originally posted by abergas
Hi everyone

Has anybody who has already settled in Oz, every brought a Japanese import vehicle, we are looking at buying a 7 seater van, but are having problems getting anyone to insure it.
any advice?

yve
I had the same sort sort of prob as I have an import. A lot of the more popular insurance companies would not insure it. I had to phone through quite a few of them in the yellow pages until I found one which would insure my car.

Try "Just Car Insurance" . I don't know if they will insure your type of model you'll have to inquire, but they insured me with my import http://www.justcarinsurance.com.au/info.asp
The company is based in Melbourne (they do insure nation wide.. I'm in Brisbane)

cheers
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:21 am
owieb

Originally posted by abergas
Hi everyone

any advice?

yve
We've got a jap import hilux surf and got insurance with SGIO without any problems. Though they will only insure it for market value, which means if it is written off they assess what it is worth and not what you think it's worth!

Last edited by owieb; Oct 29th 2003 at 12:39 am.

Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by owieb
We've got a jap import hilux surf and got insurance with SGIO without any problems. Though they will only insure it for market value, which means if it is written off they assess what it is worth and not what you think it's worth!

We have been looking at Japanese 4x4s for when we get over there. Do all imports have problems with insurance? Also why are they so touchy about them?
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:38 am
owieb

Originally posted by podgypossum
We have been looking at Japanese 4x4s for when we get over there. Do all imports have problems with insurance? Also why are they so touchy about them?
I think the big problem the insurance companies have with them is having to repair them if they get broken.

Someone went into the back of ours within a week of us having it and it took the repairers 3 months to source the bits from Japan, which costs quite a bit of money!

Other than that I can't see why they should be any different.