Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

insurance and driving??

insurance and driving??

Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

alan_blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default insurance and driving??

hey all you know how in the uk if you are fully comp you can drive other cars that are insured under 3rd party, well what is the go here in oz as it doesnt say anything on the insurance certificate? Am wondering can anyone drive your car under your insurance or not?

kind regards
al
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: insurance and driving??

Originally Posted by alan_blue
hey all you know how in the uk if you are fully comp you can drive other cars that are insured under 3rd party, well what is the go here in oz as it doesnt say anything on the insurance certificate? Am wondering can anyone drive your car under your insurance or not?

kind regards
al
Your CTP with the registration will cover any driver, for that Compulsory Third Party cover.

Your own Fully Comp cover, or Third party property cover, may also cover them if your cover is not limited to specified drivers only.

Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Your CTP with the registration will cover any driver, for that Compulsory Third Party cover.

Your own Fully Comp cover, or Third party property cover, may also cover them if your cover is not limited to specified drivers only.
Yeah....Wot he said.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

But doesn't CTP just provide coverage for injuries you may cause to a third party...not your or their vehicle?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
But doesn't CTP just provide coverage for injuries you may cause to a third party...not your or their vehicle?
Yes.

Hence the mention of Comp or TPPD for more cover, unless their policy is specified drivers only.

A UK policy would not give comp cover either, under the scenario mentioned.

Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Yes.

Hence the mention of Comp or TPPD for more cover, unless their policy is specified drivers only.

A UK policy would not give comp cover either, under the scenario mentioned.
Most fully comp policies have a selection to do the following:

a) allow myself and any driver to drive my vehicle -
b) allow myself and any driver over 25 to drive my vehicle
c) allow myself and any driver over 30 to drive my vehicle
d) allow myself and any driver over 35 to drive my vehicle

Obviously based on what you choose affects your premium. Most have a minimal excess though if a none listed driver is driving, usually $500 to $1000
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

alan_blue is an unknown quantity at this point

ok so it really depends on the persons insurance of the car that they may ask you to drive here not like uk then, similar but different lol
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by alan_blue
ok so it really depends on the persons insurance of the car that they may ask you to drive here not like uk then, similar but different lol
I am wondering if the UK has changed on that point.

From what I recall, in the UK, if you wanted to drive someone else's car, and they had restricted drivers cover, you could use your own policy, but it would only provide third party cover whilst driving that car.

Here in Australia, you would have CTP cover provided by the cars registration terms.

The difference being, it would be covered by the car owner, and the CTP (Compulsory Third Party) cover is only covering for personal injury, not property damage.

Obviously in both countries, if you do not choose restricted drivers only, then the policy would cover anyone driving, for whatever cover the policy had.