Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insulation in Australian houses

Insulation in Australian houses

Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:42 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insulation in Australian houses

From my experience and as a builder.

Aus houses are freezing in the winter and like an oven in the summer.

British Traditional and kit houses are nice and cool in the summer and can be kept warm in winter quite easily.

this as i mentioned was my experience, and as a matter of fact a lot of people will think Insulation in many shapes or forms are there to ONLy keep the heat in! Not SO

To put everything into context, No matter where you build a house if it is build Properly without spaces under doors where you could drive a car under or see your internal Plasterboard through gaps between window frames and outside walls where it should be sealed with Something and maybe something between your roof tiles and the Plasterboard cielings then it should be in theory quite simple to keep warm in winter and cool in summer.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Australian houses have traditionally been built to cope with the hot weather. Lots of big windows, sliding glass doors, etc. They are large, wide, open and single storey. This is all designed to let the light in and the hot air out. This stands in contrast to the houses you get in the UK, which are basically little two storey shoeboxes with solid internal walls, excellent insulation and tiny windows, so the heat stays in during winter.

Unfortunately we have tended to neglect our insulation, so many Australian houses are poorly insulated or not insulated at all. This makes them very uncomfortable in winter and reduces the effectiveness of air conditioning during summer. In the UK they have the opposite problem; British houses are poorly ventilated, so you can't get rid of the heat in summer and you can hardly breath for most of the year anyway because you can't get enough fresh air into the place.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>To put everything into context, No matter where you build a house if it is build Properly without spaces under doors where you could drive a car under or see your internal Plasterboard through gaps between window frames and outside walls where it should be sealed with Something and maybe something between your roof tiles and the Plasterboard cielings then it should be in theory quite simple to keep warm in winter and cool in summer.<<

You are talking 25th century building!

Even "modern" houses in Australia are still being built with 30 - 40mm gaps under the doors and gaps at the sides of windows you can see through. Quite apart from the heat loss and leaves coming in, people seem to think that livestock in the form of spiders, snakes etc entering for a tour is normal!

As for roof insulation - shocking.....
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
Single story houses are more environmentally friendly for the Aussie climate because heat rises and upstairs can get very hot in summer and with the penchant for no eaves on McMansions the walls heat up like heat banks and stay that way all summer. Hence large power bills.

We designed our own house and we live on top of a hill between Port Phillip and Westernport Bay so we opted for sliding windows a couple of which are opposite sliding doors on the other side of the house, when the cool change comes we just push the windows right back and cool the house down. Steel roofs are much easier to cool down and keep the heat in better than tile in winter.
I'm a massive fan of a bit of commonsense and the need to avoid AC wherever possible. Lack of eaves is a f**ing nonsense.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
During the winter, here in SE QLD, I often have to go outside to warm up.
Classic Australian living. Melbourne winters are not so much like that.

Originally Posted by Pomster
And I disagree with them being this way to cope with the heat- my guess is the builders contructed them as cheaply as possible. As far as I am aware, Melbourne has always had big fluctuations in temps between summer and winter, so it was laziness...
Hve to admit, I don't follow this. I think it is more of a case that houses were built for the hotter months rather than the colder months and that convention stuck. Even in Melbourne, the months you have heating on is less than the months you don't. I don't think Australian [builders] have a gene which makes them scratch their heads and think - OK - I am not going to build a house without insulation for 200 years as I can't be arsed. I think it is crazy that so many UK homes don't have laundries, or more than one toilet.

Rentals seem cold. But many people I know do have heating - ducted or otherwise. Probably economic too.

For us, a wood heater makes the winter. Without one, I would be an unhappy bunny. Our house gets cold and requires heating like any other, but I am not too precious about it - we have insulation in the roof - maybe we need more. I reckon the kids need to toughen up a bit I have never liked some stuffy, UK homes were you can practically smell the heating.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:54 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

25th century building?

Originally Posted by Wol
>>To put everything into context, No matter where you build a house if it is build Properly without spaces under doors where you could drive a car under or see your internal Plasterboard through gaps between window frames and outside walls where it should be sealed with Something and maybe something between your roof tiles and the Plasterboard cielings then it should be in theory quite simple to keep warm in winter and cool in summer.<<

You are talking 25th century building!

Even "modern" houses in Australia are still being built with 30 - 40mm gaps under the doors and gaps at the sides of windows you can see through. Quite apart from the heat loss and leaves coming in, people seem to think that livestock in the form of spiders, snakes etc entering for a tour is normal!

As for roof insulation - shocking.....