Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beginning a life in Australia

Beginning a life in Australia

Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough
Default Beginning a life in Australia

Hi all

I just had a quick look through some of the PDF's contained under this link http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...ts/english.htm maybe worth a look.

Bob
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginning a life in Australia

Highlights ...

"Most Australians blow their noses into handkerchiefs or tissues, not onto the pavement. This is also true for spitting."

"Clubs, movie theatres and other places may require patrons to be in neat, clean clothing and appropriate footwear."

"You may find some clothing styles confronting or offensive. For example, some women wear clothes that reveal a lot of their body. You should not judge them by the standards of your previous country. In Australia, no matter what a woman’s style of dress might be, you must not interpret it to mean they have low morals or that they wish to attract men’s interest."
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:12 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
"You may find some clothing styles confronting or offensive. For example, some women wear clothes that reveal a lot of their body."
I will admit, this is one of the more favourable australian customs.

Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:16 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

Depends on the woman.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:17 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

As is the aftermath of Melbourne Cup Day ... never has so much make-up been so smeared ... some of the women too ...
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:23 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

As is the aftermath of Melbourne Cup Day ... never has so much make-up been so smeared ... some of the women too ...
And if it rains the Yarra runs brown with fake tan.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to query this bit: Communicating in English is very important and the key to your successful settlement. If you cannot speak English we strongly encourage you to learn as soon as practical after you arrive.

English language courses for new arrivals in Australia are provided under the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP). As a new resident, you may be entitled to receive free English language tuition of up to 510 hours. The AMEP offers a number of options so you can still learn English if you have work, family or other commitments.

How the hell did people get their visas if they can't speak English? What happened to the IELTS? That really pisses me off more than I can explain.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
How the hell did people get their visas if they can't speak English? What happened to the IELTS? That really pisses me off more than I can explain.
From the tone and content of the advice, it sounds like it's more geared for refugee/humanitarian visa holders than your average highly-skilled 175/176 migrant.

Don't think refugees from Somalia/Ethiopia and the like have the same language requirements for their visas.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

I have to query this bit: Communicating in English is very important and the key to your successful settlement. If you cannot speak English we strongly encourage you to learn as soon as practical after you arrive.

English language courses for new arrivals in Australia are provided under the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP). As a new resident, you may be entitled to receive free English language tuition of up to 510 hours. The AMEP offers a number of options so you can still learn English if you have work, family or other commitments.

The boat people are not required to take IELTS... Neither are family migrants, I guess. There could also be a chinese version of IELTS (perhaps ICLTS?) out there, otherwise how on earth they will ever.....
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

scrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nicescrudu is just really nice

There is a choice for spouses of 175 visa holders that if their level of English is not enough and they don't pass the IELTS exam, they can pay a pretty hefty fee and do IELTS training upon arrival. Nothing free about it.
It makes sense as the visa is intended to get skilled migrants into the country to start filling gaps in employment. If their spouse doesn't have English currently, should that really prevent them coming? It makes sense that there's an option for people to do their English training upon arrival.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 11:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, alright, alright so I have no idea what I'm talking about it. Don't need to labour the point
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:56 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Highlights ...

"Most Australians blow their noses into handkerchiefs or tissues, not onto the pavement. This is also true for spitting."
You do have to understand that for Chinese, this fact is very, very surprising as blowing noses onto the pavement or spitting is quite acceptable where they come from.
Spitting in China is as common as breathing !

These booklets are written to address the huge cultural divides that exist for some nationalities that move to Australia.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:12 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
You do have to understand that for Chinese, this fact is very, very surprising as blowing noses onto the pavement or spitting is quite acceptable where they come from.
Spitting in China is as common as breathing !

These booklets are written to address the huge cultural divides that exist for some nationalities that move to Australia.
Ah, thanks for the clarification, it was just me being a narrow-minded pom and poking some fun at Johnny Foreigner's expense, I don't get out much. <end heavy irony>

If the next door neighbours decide to BBQ me dog then I'll point them to the appropriate paragraph
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The spouse/children of the main visa holder may not speak good English.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:55 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, thanks for the clarification, it was just me being a narrow-minded pom and poking some fun at Johnny Foreigner's expense, I don't get out much. <end heavy irony>

If the next door neighbours decide to BBQ me dog then I'll point them to the appropriate paragraph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.