Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insular people in Perth

Insular people in Perth

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Parsnips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insular people in Perth

I met a bloke yesterday who was born and grew up and Perth - and has been living there for 40 something years.

In that time he has NEVER been above Yanchep!!!!! (40mins above) He didn`t know where Lancelin was - or where i live (2 hours north)

How can someone go through life without any incentive to visit your own country.

I have found this ALOT with perthites - they only go between beach-cinema-mall.

Am I right?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:49 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insular people in Perth

Everybody is different I guess, if that`s what makes them happy does it matter?? I can`t say I`ve comes across this attitude - most Perthies I know are always out & about every chance they get (most seem to go caravanning & camping all over the place at weekends and holidays).
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parsnips
I met a bloke yesterday who was born and grew up and Perth - and has been living there for 40 something years.

In that time he has NEVER been above Yanchep!!!!! (40mins above) He didn`t know where Lancelin was - or where i live (2 hours north)

How can someone go through life without any incentive to visit your own country.

I have found this ALOT with perthites - they only go between beach-cinema-mall.

Am I right?
Partly. I've met people who have been everywhere and others who have not left WA. It's an Australia wide thing. I was in Cairns recently and got talking to a guy in the pub. The furthest away from Cairns he has visited is The Gold Coast - and then only once.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Yeah your so right...theres the WA "stamped of the forhead brigade" who have never traveled at all and think it's the best thing since sliced bread...and quickley raise their hackles when anybody says a word against it.

The Aussies who have traveled the world or evan australia have seen the light..

Steve
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:59 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is the line of work I am in or the size of company but I find that the complete opposite of my experience. Probably three quarters of the people I know where not even born in WA and half of the rest were born outside Perth (Geraldton, Collie, Harvey, Albany...).

As I run through a list of friends and acquaintances in my head I can think of dozens of trips they have each done ranging from Lancelin to a couple of years in the UK to those that have travelled the world.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

My in-laws are no different, my MIL didn't leave the UK till she was 54 and ventured out of Lancashire for the first time when she was 44 to visit us in London. Insular people the world over.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
Maybe it is the line of work I am in or the size of company but I find that the complete opposite of my experience. Probably three quarters of the people I know where not even born in WA and half of the rest were born outside Perth (Geraldton, Collie, Harvey, Albany...).

As I run through a list of friends and acquaintances in my head I can think of dozens of trips they have each done ranging from Lancelin to a couple of years in the UK to those that have travelled the world.
Hi Worzel...i'm in the same boat..most of the ones i work with are from all over Oz and the world...it's the ones from Perth that stand out like a sore thumb...there ok dont get me wrong...it's just there seem to go though life with blinkers on..

Steve
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel

Of my immediate neighbours:
2 houses up - recently been on holiday to Hawaii.
Next door - last year went on holiday to Italy, Switzerland Germany etc. Also went to NT and Qld.
Next door - returned from Thailand a few weeks ago.
Across the road - sailing his yacht to Mauritius at the moment.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by northernbird
My in-laws are no different, my MIL didn't leave the UK till she was 54 and ventured out of Lancashire for the first time when she was 44 to visit us in London. Insular people the world over.
We have a friend in the UK who is in his 50s. He has never left the UK - ever and has never been on a plane.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Parsnips is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its more of City/country thing than oz/abroad.

Alot think there is NOTHING above Perth (I`m not going to disagree) I`m just surprised how little they know - I`m talking general people like banking staff - car blokes - solicitors - checkout chicks.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Parsnips
I think its more of City/country thing than oz/abroad.

Alot think there is NOTHING above Perth (I`m not going to disagree) I`m just surprised how little they know - I`m talking general people like banking staff - car blokes - solicitors - checkout chicks.
When i was in Florida i was asked "Whats it like behind the iron curtain"..FFS
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

If you're ahppy where you are then it doesn't matter in my opinion. I find a lot of people I know holiday in and around Queensland. Let's face it ther's a lot of things to see and do.

I know lots of people in the UK who have never left, nor want to.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:52 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We have a friend in the UK who is in his 50s. He has never left the UK - ever and has never been on a plane.
wifes mother at 74 has just made her first trip outside the uk and first plane journey

where too

why here of course if your going to do it do it proper
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Parents of friends in the UK have never been anywhere other than Broadstairs for their holidays. The guy used to work for Vauxhall in Luton and every Vauxhall holiday fortnight they would all (and I mean all) decamp to Broadstairs. That's where they still go and have never been anywhere else. The world over has insular people. The world over has inquisitive people also.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

deano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud ofdeano66 has much to be proud of

A guy I play cricket with (in Exeter) has never been further east than Taunton (30 miles). Sad thing is, he stopped his daughter going on a school trip to France because he didn't want her travelling out of the country without them. People like them, though, are a rarity I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.