Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Installing Cat 5 cabling?

Wikiposts

Installing Cat 5 cabling?

Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Installing Cat 5 cabling?

Don't forget you need a cabler's license to install it.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I'm sure you could use CAT 5 but instead of the expense and hassle of that why wouldn't you use a simple RF transmitter and reciever and then its completely portable. Just thinking aloud as never really considered it. You'd still need a seperate Foxtel box to view different channels anyhow via that medium.

Not certain it would be worth it domestically maybe ?

I'd choose cable over rf anyday of the week, especially 2.4 gig rf, which always gets affected by Microwave radiation. Microwave ovens generally run on 2.4 gigs as well, so there is inteference anytime someone nearby operates a Microwave. People are moving up to 5.8 gig transmitters/receivers now, and they don't seem to have a history, as yet, of interference, but you never know what the future may bring.

Not sure about Cat 5 cabling though. if thats 5 core coaxial, then I'd say thats the best available at present. As we move onto Hidef reception and beyond as being the norm, it could turn out that in 10-15 years, when 3D tv makes inroads, that Cat 5 wasn't good enough after all.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 10th 2007 at 10:48 am.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Hi - THIS IS MY BAG - i do this in the uk and its the future (our house is Cat 5 and is now becoming standad with estate agents/surveyors when selling, it potentially adds value to property) - cate5e cabling will support anything you want to put through it. If you were to run a quad (4x) outlet to every room in your house you will be future proofed for pretty much anything that comes along. - My advice - just run the cables and blank them off - you WILL need them soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can use them for multi room audio - sharing broadband - phone lines - TV etc, etc.

Hope this makes sense, feel free to pm me if you need anything further. I can tell you where to run wires to & from, etc, if this helps

Confused????

Watty'n'Arls
Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:44 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! This is a rat's nest!

I'd never heard of Cat 5 until two days ago - is it the same thing as C-Bus?

As far as I can make out, Cat 5 is twisted pairs of wire - something like 3 or 4 pairs to the cable. Then there's possibly metallic shielding.

Do you send the RF signal along these wires, or component video and audio? And can you send an Austar IR extender signal back to the decoder?

And the silly thing is - the TV is dreadful anyway!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 5:17 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Wow! This is a rat's nest!

I'd never heard of Cat 5 until two days ago - is it the same thing as C-Bus?

As far as I can make out, Cat 5 is twisted pairs of wire - something like 3 or 4 pairs to the cable. Then there's possibly metallic shielding.

Do you send the RF signal along these wires, or component video and audio? And can you send an Austar IR extender signal back to the decoder?

And the silly thing is - the TV is dreadful anyway!
no.c bus is merely a control mechanism for the electrics in your house. personally wouldnt touch it now but will be the way to go in the future. basically everything is wired back to a central point and controlled from there .get a decent sparky to plan the electrics for you.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 5:29 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
no.c bus is merely a control mechanism for the electrics in your house. personally wouldnt touch it now but will be the way to go in the future. basically everything is wired back to a central point and controlled from there .get a decent sparky to plan the electrics for you.
Thanks. Yes, a friend is putting CBus in his new build and is having problems - but then he has 20 bedrooms, a lake and a nine hole golf course to automate...........
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:15 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
get a decent sparky to plan the electrics for you.
Thats the hard part how?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Thats the hard part how?

You have to do what I did. Marry one
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:59 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
You have to do what I did. Marry one
No chance for three reasons:

One I already have a wife and no neither my religion (or wife) allows for any more
Second have you seen the female leckies????
Third have you seen me

Last edited by thebears; Feb 10th 2007 at 7:03 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
No chance for two reasons:

One I already have a wife and no my religion (or wife) allows for any more
Second have you seen the female leckies????
Third have you seen me