Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Inspiration needed....

Inspiration needed....

Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

jacm will become famous soon enoughjacm will become famous soon enough
Default Inspiration needed....

Hi, I am really unsure what to do next... We got our PR back in 2008 which we validated in Dec 08 /Jan 09. Came back and put the house on the market and waited... and waited... reduced it and waited... reduced it further and waited... and now OH "does not want to go anymore...". Wont reduce the house anymore (even though a house is really only worth what someone will pay for it...) and OH feels its no longer "economically viable". Have thought of planning another holiday over there but then thats a few grand (we haven't got!) spent - even if camping! As you can imagine the atmosphere is tense.....
Now getting really depressed about it - kids on board and want to go and eldest will start GCSEs next year.... Visa expires in Sept 13 - looking for inspiration please......
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:10 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inspiration needed....

Originally Posted by jacm
Hi, I am really unsure what to do next... We got our PR back in 2008 which we validated in Dec 08 /Jan 09. Came back and put the house on the market and waited... and waited... reduced it and waited... reduced it further and waited... and now OH "does not want to go anymore...". Wont reduce the house anymore (even though a house is really only worth what someone will pay for it...) and OH feels its no longer "economically viable". Have thought of planning another holiday over there but then thats a few grand (we haven't got!) spent - even if camping! As you can imagine the atmosphere is tense.....
Now getting really depressed about it - kids on board and want to go and eldest will start GCSEs next year.... Visa expires in Sept 13 - looking for inspiration please......
Better to regret something you did do, than something you didnt.

Can you rent the house out? Even for 12 months? Took me 18 months to sell mine and it ended up costing me money as I lost all my equity. But I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. You can always go back (and you'd be able to get a cheap house )

If you dont try you'll die wondering.

Good Luck mate.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You probably dont want to bugger up the kids' education so it would be a good idea to try it before they have to start GCSE because once they have got on that merry go round it makes things very difficult. Moving to Aus isnt the problem as long as they havent turned 16 but if it all goes pear shaped then getting them back into the UK system if they have missed GCSEs can be tricky. You could always rent the house out.

However, if it isnt economically viable then stick with what you have got and save up for holidays.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:40 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Send the OH, or whoever the main breadwinner is, out on a 2-3 week non-holiday, looking for a job. Simply state you are resident, etc. - not that you are still considering it. Put effort into it.

If they find a good job, then that sorts out much of the 'economically viable' aspect, since you then know. If not, then you also know its probably not 'economically viable'.

You can then move the family out on the basis of that, after June but before September.

Rent out the house if you won't sell at the current prices, but be aware that the house might NEVER be worth what you'd wish it were.

Moving to Australia should be a strategic move, looking at the 10-20 time horizon on the basis of what you know. Do you think the UK is going to be a better place to live over that time horizon?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Mummyof3 will become famous soon enoughMummyof3 will become famous soon enough

Moving to Oz is a big step but like everything there are good points and bad points. We moved 'cos my hubby was very keen. He and the kids are very settled - I am most of the time but I do miss friends etc. Sounds like your OH needs to think it through - might be a case of cold feet. Renting your house might help - you get to try the life here and your OH knows that the house is there as a safety net if you decide it isn't for you. On the other hand I wanted the UK house sold so that I felt I had to commit to the move. Perhaps you need to have a really frank conversation with your OH - find out what is worrying them, agree what you can do to help etc. I agree in the long term I would rather have given it a go than wondered what could have happened.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It might be techincilaly true that a house or any other asset is only worth what somebody will pay for it, but that doesn't mean there is no option but to sell at a loss. It is perfectly normal to hang onto assets into a loss making position and wait for a better moment, market values will always go up and down.

We decided to rent out our house in UK for the time being and rent over here. I think quite a few of us that moved in the last 12 months have done the same. Are you able to do that? Do you have some savings that could be used until you get set up and are earning over here?

I don't think financial gain has to be a goal of emigration, certainly we earn a little less and spend a lot more on accommodation so are worse off. We are happy with that because we enjoy it here and in the end we might just decide to sell up whatever the cost. But I really don't think I would have committed financial suicide just to move here in the first place, without knowing if I would even like it. So I am very sympathetic to your OH's concerns about economic viability. I don't think Australia is worth committing financial suicide over, no matter how much I like it.

I think thatpartners need to be enthusiastic about a move like this, maybe not in equal measure, but if there is one that really wants to go and one that really does not, it will be difficult to make it work.

And I tend to think in this circumstance that it is more unfair to drag somebody along that doesn't want to go, rather than have the other carry on with the life as they have always known it.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

jacm will become famous soon enoughjacm will become famous soon enough

Hi, Thank you all for your kind comments.... I have tried to go down the renting route but OH not keen - which I can understand as our cottage had been rented out before we brought it and we had to gut it completely!! Selling now would not be financial suicide, even if we reduce again we would be able to take 100K plus... but OH just thinks we will be loosing from what the house was worth - perhaps it is cold feet! I agree that it is more unfair to drag someone along if they don't want to go - even impossible. Probably suicidal to the marriage too... I guess I will have to just sit and wait and see what happens... try the frank conversation again and plan another trip just to remind OH why he fell in love with Aus on the previous visits we have had!
Thank you
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Mummyof3 will become famous soon enoughMummyof3 will become famous soon enough

A holiday might help alongside lots of talking through it all. It is a big move - in our family everybody else is 110% settled I am the one who is still a bit marginal and it can make for some heated conversations. However my kids are so happy here, they have a fab life and I love the country. My only real problem is missing some very close friends in the UK and I guess I just wish we weren't quite so far away. However I am very glad we did the move as my kids have gained so much experience etc. Would I change it? hmm most of the time no but there are the odd days....
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:17 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacm
Hi, Thank you all for your kind comments.... I have tried to go down the renting route but OH not keen - which I can understand as our cottage had been rented out before we brought it and we had to gut it completely!! Selling now would not be financial suicide, even if we reduce again we would be able to take 100K plus... but OH just thinks we will be loosing from what the house was worth - perhaps it is cold feet! I agree that it is more unfair to drag someone along if they don't want to go - even impossible. Probably suicidal to the marriage too... I guess I will have to just sit and wait and see what happens... try the frank conversation again and plan another trip just to remind OH why he fell in love with Aus on the previous visits we have had!
Thank you
Depending on where you go the prices have dropped here too so it may not be as bad as you think. Being a cash buyer will help too but you do need at least a 20% deposit for most of the banks.

You're right about not dragging him along, he has to be enthusiastic too, another trip may be a good idea

Renting out your home is one option - at least you'll have something to go back to if it doesn't work out. If it all goes OK you can sell it when the market has improved.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:40 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stay put, if your not both 100 % you will eventually be exposed