Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insert confused smiley!

Insert confused smiley!

Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Insert confused smiley!

Any idea if she's actually got the job/interview or not? ...

Dear Nicola,

Thank you very much for taking the time and expressing an interest in our position as Part Time Office Administator (spelling mistake left in) at XXXXXXXX.

We have been overwhelmed with over 100 applications, and that made making interview selections exceptionally difficult.

We wish you well in your future endeavours - the quality of applicants was just awesome.

Regards,

XXXXX

Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:42 am
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Insert confused smiley!

Ha Ha Ha

Perhaps its her job that is open!

Dont think Nic got it though. Shame. Better luck next time

Good luck
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:06 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jonah38
Dont think Nic got it though. Shame. Better luck next time

Good luck
Thanks but don't worry it is 'the norm' these days:

Thank you for your application for the position of Nightfill Assistant-023228 at Woolworths. We had a number of excellent candidates apply for this role and the calibre of candidates was high which made the selection decision difficult. After careful consideration we are writing to advise that you have not been successful for the above position in this instance.'

Thank you for your application to join McDonald's and in particular for taking the time to attend the interview. I have given careful consideration to your application however, on this occasion, I have identified another applicant who more closely meets our needs at this time.'

I refer to your application for the above position with our company. We have received many applications from well-qualified applicants and yours was no exception. This has made our selection task extremely difficult and unfortunately on this occasion, your application was not successful.'

Thank you for your application for the position of Receptionist/Customer Service. The response to the advertisements were overwhelming, both in quantity and quality. This made the final shortlist interview selection particularly difficult. Unfortunately in this instance, you were unsuccessful'

We BOTH get these all the time, but for Nic she is often applying for Admin work and she has the last 10 years experience in this field! She has even started looking for work in Brisbane but same old really!

Now ok, we are temp residents and have a 20 hour work restriction on both of us, but EVERYTHING we apply for IS under 20 hours!

God knows who IS finding part time work on the Gold Coast or Brissie! ...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:13 am
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Hi again

Keep at it mate.

Nic is probably too good for them if the first letter, spelling and grammar are to go by.

All rejection letters look like they are computer generated - they just input your name and address. Same stuff happens in UK Paul.

Good luck to you both
Old Mar 25th 2007, 1:43 am
Account Closed

Hi again

Keep at it mate.

Nic is probably too good for them if the first letter, spelling and grammar are to go by.

All rejection letters look like they are computer generated - they just input your name and address. Same stuff happens in UK Paul.

Good luck to you both
Agree, and thanks ... we'll be right! ...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL

God!!!

Lace xx
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again

Keep at it mate.

Good luck to you both
Hi,

Just a view from the other side of the coin, I started working for a company a year ago and there were just 2 part time admin staff, we now have one full time administrator and 3 part time staff, as the company is growing. I have had to advertise recently for another part time administrator (25ish hours per week) and put in the ad myself. Within 2 hours of the ad going in, I had received 10 application forms, within 2 days, I had received over 65 applications. I picked out 3 applications from the first few I received and arranged interviews, with the intention of picking out a further 3 at a time if I didnt find the right person.

Fortunately the first person we met with seemed ideal for our requirements and therefore the ad was closed. I had to send over 70 replies to applicants, and there is no easy way to do this other than to set up a standard letter and forward this to each one.

When I was applying for jobs, I often got no response at all, and personally feel that even if the letter is standard, it is better to let people know they are unsuccessful, as I used to constantly check my emails in the hope of getting an interview.

Given the response to our ad, I think that the earlier you can get in your resume the better and other than that, dont send a standard resume to each job, try to word it to match the requirements of the position as listed in the advert.

Good luck to Nic, hope you find something soon.

Julia
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

One I recently applied for, said on the selection criteria page that if I hadn't heard by a particular date I hadn't got the job. Sounds like a good way of doing it, I'm sure I wouldn't want to send out shed loads of thanks but no thanks letters.

Something will come up Paul, it's just a pain in the neck at the moment.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:44 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
One I recently applied for, said on the selection criteria page that if I hadn't heard by a particular date I hadn't got the job. Sounds like a good way of doing it, I'm sure I wouldn't want to send out shed loads of thanks but no thanks letters.

fingers crossed you hear something soon.

<<<<<<<<<<<<need a fingers crossed smiley>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:02 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Paul,
I quit my part-time job 7 weeks ago foolishly thinking i could walk into another part-time position fairly quickly,boy how wrong was i!! its been a bloody nightmare:curse:I've handed out resume's everywhere,heard very little back, even had one manager saying he would rather employ 2 juniors for the wage of one senior( so much for reliability eh!)

I bit the bullet last Thursday & phoned my old manager & asked if he would take me back on I covered a 10hr shift yesterday the jobs not the best mainly because of the unsocial hours but hey who does love their job! Im not gony stop looking for something better but for the time being i wont be quitting in a hurry again.

I feel for Nic,i know how she must be feeling,it really knocks your confidence going through all this job crap.

Has Nic tried places like 24hr petrol stations,seven eleven,late night convenience stores? sh!tty hours (i know!!)
Goodluck Nic x hope you get something soon.

Donna.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by madsad
Paul,
I quit my part-time job 7 weeks ago foolishly thinking i could walk into another part-time position fairly quickly,boy how wrong was i!! its been a bloody nightmare:curse:I've handed out resume's everywhere,heard very little back, even had one manager saying he would rather employ 2 juniors for the wage of one senior( so much for reliability eh!)

I bit the bullet last Thursday & phoned my old manager & asked if he would take me back on I covered a 10hr shift yesterday the jobs not the best mainly because of the unsocial hours but hey who does love their job! Im not gony stop looking for something better but for the time being i wont be quitting in a hurry again.

I feel for Nic,i know how she must be feeling,it really knocks your confidence going through all this job crap

Has Nic tried places like 24hr petrol stations,seven eleven,late night convenience stores? sh!tty hours (i know!!)
Goodluck Nic x hope you get something soon.

Donna.
Hi Donna,

Yeah Nic's tried EVERYWHERE! ... BP, Woolworths, Coles, McDonalds, Hungry Jacks, Red Rooster (will hear from them on Monday), All the Theme parks (did have a little spell with 2 of them but no joy as we speak), and applied for probably over 80 Admin jobs!

All to no avail!

There's a few other things in the pipeline, but unfortunately we're not confident really ...

Still, we're hoping when when we have th 20 hour restriction lifted things will be easier! ...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Yeah and a pain in the bank account too! ...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I know they're horrible but has she gone down the call centre route yet? They always want people and I should think you can pick hours and because the job is crap you get paid well.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:57 am
Account Closed

I know they're horrible but has she gone down the call centre route yet? They always want people and I should think you can pick hours and because the job is crap you get paid well.
Sure has!

Had the interview with one company and was scheduled to start on the Monday, but got the call on Friday to say ... err ... thanks, but no thanks! ... we'll call you again in a few weeks.

That was a few months ago! ...

Her friend who got her the job lasted a full three weeks there! ...

To be honest Pen, her record of pretty much getting EVERY job she was interviewed for in the UK has been shot to pieces since arrival in Oz.

Ok, the rough with the smooth and all that, but it IS a confidence knocker trying to find work over here! ...

BOTH of us can't even say "would you like fries with your burger?" ...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Sure has!

Had the interview with one company and was scheduled to start on the Monday, but got the call on Friday to say ... err ... thanks, but no thanks! ... we'll call you again in a few weeks.

That was a few months ago! ...

Her friend who got her the job lasted a full three weeks there! ...

To be honest Pen, her record of pretty much getting EVERY job she was interviewed for in the UK has been shot to pieces since arrival in Oz.

Ok, the rough with the smooth and all that, but it IS a confidence knocker trying to find work over here! ...

BOTH of us can't even say "would you like fries with your burger?" ...
Hi Guys!
Sounds like you're having a real tough time at the mo, I hope it all works out soon- I'm sure it will, you have the right attitude that will get you there in the end.
Best of luck,
Sam & Est