Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Insect bomb for garage

Insect bomb for garage

Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Insect bomb for garage

So I'm slowly making headway at clearing out the multitude of packaging/crap in our garage after our move in. In the process I'm dislodging a few spiders etc.

I bought one of those Mortein bomb things and was going to do that, but it said to turn off all elecrical devices. Do I really have to turn off the retic box etc? Is it that dangerous not to?

(Similarly, my BBQ says not to leave the gas in direct sunlight. I figure if they really blew up there'd be a lot of blown up BBQs in Australia. It generally has a cover over to give it some protection, but am I being too casual about it?)
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insect bomb for garage

Originally Posted by Family of 3
So I'm slowly making headway at clearing out the multitude of packaging/crap in our garage after our move in. In the process I'm dislodging a few spiders etc.

I bought one of those Mortein bomb things and was going to do that, but it said to turn off all elecrical devices. Do I really have to turn off the retic box etc? Is it that dangerous not to?

(Similarly, my BBQ says not to leave the gas in direct sunlight. I figure if they really blew up there'd be a lot of blown up BBQs in Australia. It generally has a cover over to give it some protection, but am I being too casual about it?)
Have you ever seen the Mythbusters episode where they blew up a house using bug bombs? Yes, turn off the power in the room where you're lettign it off.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know I wasn't entirely sure if you were pulling my leg there, so I googled:

"In April 2005, various news outlets reported three men were hospitalized for burn treatment after they attempted to fumigate a Thai restaurant in Perth, Australia, with 36 insect bombs. The fumigants released by the spray cans reportedly created a huge blast that blew the roof off the building when they were ignited by a pilot light in one of the restaurant's ovens:
A massive explosion rocked suburban Duncraig today after chemicals released during last night's do-it-yourself fumigation ignited, blowing out the back wall and lifting the roof off the Tamarind restaurant."

From http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...80&topic=11268

Perhaps I'll just stick to standing on them!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want to bomb the garage? Can understand doing the house but the spiders have to have somewhere to live!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

True. Perhaps I'll just put a sign up directing them next door.

Or, if they're higher class spiders, to Wembley Downs.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Did the same thing when we lived in the rental: Put the car on the drive and put a Mortein bomb into the garage.

The garage had an automatic garage door, i.e. it was plugged into a socket in the ceiling. I did not bother unplugging that or switching it off.

Bomb did not blow anything.

(In the news story, there were 36 insect bombs AND a naked flame (from pilot light).)
Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

36 bombs sounds like major over kill. Three is all that's needed for a regular 4 bed house. I don't have a garage but believe me, if I did, it would get sprayed, bombed, whatever. Anything more than 4 legs is unwanted in or around my house.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 2:41 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
36 bombs sounds like major over kill. Three is all that's needed for a regular 4 bed house. I don't have a garage but believe me, if I did, it would get sprayed, bombed, whatever. Anything more than 4 legs is unwanted in or around my house.
Mine too! They can live in the ruddy garden! Just not my ruddy garden!
**shivers**
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if you can get a bomb for car?

I kid you not, we saw a hunstman the size of a hand in my OH's car today!

Unless I see a dead body, not sure I can get back in it....ever!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

Open the door, empty an entire can of Mortein into the car, shut the door and leave for a few hours. Go back with a vacuum, open all doors and windows and give it a vac. Don't drive until fumes have gone, it probably wouldn't be healthy, but it would be healthier than driving with a fricking spider that big wandering around trying to make you crash.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sell the car. Now. A hand sized huntsman would be enough for me to leave the keys in it, windows open and leave it in a deserted park late at night.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sell the car. Now. A hand sized huntsman would be enough for me to leave the keys in it, windows open and leave it in a deserted park late at night.
This one was clearly a formidable predator.

You know they normally have a leg or two missing...not this one, it was perfectly symmetrical, thickest legs I've seen on one too. Big body as well, 50c sort of size.

*scared*
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:23 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

This one was clearly a formidable predator.

You know they normally have a leg or two missing...not this one, it was perfectly symmetrical, thickest legs I've seen on one too. Big body as well, 50c sort of size.

*scared*
I hate spiders, snakes even bloody ants (freeloaders!) but a huntsman in the car would just be annoying. They like to sit under the sun visors apparently!! I admit it would certainly cause me to stop the car rather abruptly but they are harmless enough to just swat away. We have seen loads of them, mostly outside in our laundry room but we did have a nest once inside the house inside the air vents, they started to come out of the vent into the bedroom, loads of little baby huntsman's so closed the door and set off a mortein bomb....that did the trick!!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Just sit in the car and close all the doors and windows. I'm sure the spider will find you once it get's thirsty enough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.