Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Inner West to West Suburbs - Pubs?

Inner West to West Suburbs - Pubs?

Old Dec 24th 2004, 12:11 am
Scoop

Default Inner West to North West/West Suburbs - Pubs?

I am just about to post off my De-Facto visa application, to move to Aus with my long term Aussie GF.

I am seeking some suburb advise as we are looking at starting off in Sydney.

I work in Distribution, so its likely that I would have to work in the west of Sydney. What are the Suburbs from the Inner West, North West and Westwards that are the best for a late twenties/early thirties couple to move too.Leichhardt in one suburb ive seen. One thing I would hate to give up from England is the pub, are there many suburbs where ,for example, I could go out on a Friday night and watch the Rugby League in the pub? - with that local pub atmosphere?, or is this something im gonna have to give up when I emigrate. Although the pubs in Randwick had the local pub 'vibe' - this may be too far away from where I finally find employment.

Last edited by Scoop; Dec 24th 2004 at 12:26 am.

Old Dec 24th 2004, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inner West to North West/West Suburbs - Pubs?

Originally Posted by Scoop
I am just about to post off my De-Facto visa application, to move to Aus with my long term Aussie GF.

I work in Distribution, so its likely that I would have to work in the west of Sydney. What are the Suburbs from the Inner West, North West and Westwards that are the best for a late twenties/early thirties couple to move too.Leichhardt in one suburb ive seen. One thing I would hate to give up from England is the pub, are there many suburbs where ,for example, I could go out on a Friday night and watch the Rugby League in the pub? - with that local pub atmosphere?, or is this something im gonna have to give up when I emigrate. Although the pubs in Randwick had the local pub 'vibe' - this may be too far away from where I finally find employment.
In one word - Balmain. Has great pubs, loads of cafes and restaurants and seems to be entirely populated by couples in their late 20's, early 30's.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 8:09 am
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Inner West to North West/West Suburbs - Pubs?

Originally Posted by Scoop

Most Austrlain "pubs" are little more than gambling emporiums, filled with loud, bright "pokie" machines. Oz pubs are used by the locals for gambling their wages/welfare payments into pokies and/or eating cheap bland counter meals.

Hardly any pubs are worth visiting are usually the size of a warehouse. Brightly lit, plastic chairs, uninviting, no intimacy. As well as the pokies, most have TV screens plastered everywher showing horse and dog racing, therefore resembling Labrokes with a bar thrown in for good measure.

Go to OZ expecting decent Brit style pubs? Guaranteed disapointment will be the result.