Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Initial Entry to Oz After Visa Grant

Initial Entry to Oz After Visa Grant

Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

daylesford will become famous soon enoughdaylesford will become famous soon enough
Default Initial Entry to Oz After Visa Grant

I am be making a trip down to aus next week for my initial entry/holiday after my visa grant in May07. We only plan to move over to austrlia at a later date. Must I setup my medicare account during this trip ?

Thanks
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

sprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nicesprite_green is just really nice
Default Re: Initial Entry to Oz After Visa Grant - Medicare

Originally Posted by daylesford
I am be making a trip down to aus next week for my initial entry/holiday after my visa grant in May07. We only plan to move over to austrlia at a later date. Must I setup my medicare account during this trip ?

Thanks
Hi - sorry I can't answer your question, but I would be interested to see if anyone else can shed some light.

Have (hopefully) modified the title to attract some attention.

SG
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Initial Entry to Oz After Visa Grant

No you don't need to do anything on a validation trip. Save it all for when you move over permanently.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
No you don't need to do anything on a validation trip. Save it all for when you move over permanently.
Others have found that the 12 month deadline to take out private health cover without an age 30+ loading starts ticking when you validate.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Others have found that the 12 month deadline to take out private health cover without an age 30+ loading starts ticking when you validate.
Forgot that one but on the other hand presumably you would end up paying as much for the time you are not living here as you would with the loading. Don't know, we haven't taken out private and we are waaay over 30
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:31 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I didn't ! They took it from when we took up residence.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
This is probably the wrong place to ask this, but it's worth a try...

My fiancée (Australian citizen) and I (de-facto spouse) are moving to Adelaide at the end of the month. My fiancée came to the UK before she was 30 and now that she has been here for 7 years is over 30.

Does anybody know if she'll have 12 months to get private healthcare without 30+ loading as she left Australia before she was 30? Or will we have to pay the 30+ loading for her?

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

I've just asked about that funnily enough.

The insurance company and Medicare both say it's from the date you are eligible for medicare. However they won't clarify if your eligible for medicare when you activate your visa, or when you register for it.

So still no wiser
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:27 am
jce
Forum Regular

jce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to alljce is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy
I've just asked about that funnily enough.

The insurance company and Medicare both say it's from the date you are eligible for medicare. However they won't clarify if your eligible for medicare when you activate your visa, or when you register for it.

So still no wiser
I dont have a definitive answere but i think the best way is not to register for medicare on the validation trip and do it when you finally arrive for good. That way the date on the medicare system is the date you registered rather than the date of first entry. When you validate the visa you are eligible to register for medicare but i dont think there is anything to say that you have to register?

The health insurers like a letter from medicare that shows the date of registration to give you the discount if you are over 30.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jce
I dont have a definitive answere but i think the best way is not to register for medicare on the validation trip and do it when you finally arrive for good. That way the date on the medicare system is the date you registered rather than the date of first entry. When you validate the visa you are eligible to register for medicare but i dont think there is anything to say that you have to register?

The health insurers like a letter from medicare that shows the date of registration to give you the discount if you are over 30.

The only thing that is confusing is that Medicare are notified of your arrival by Immigration. So are you classed as 'resident', therefore eligible for it when you arrive, or when you register

Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Wendy
The only thing that is confusing is that Medicare are notified of your arrival by Immigration. So are you classed as 'resident', therefore eligible for it when you arrive, or when you register

If I remember rightly when we registered with Medicare they had to have proof of residency. If you are just validating you won't have that. It's all such a long time ago
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember rightly when we registered with Medicare they had to have proof of residency.
You do not need that if you are a newly arrived migrant - visa will do.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember rightly when we registered with Medicare they had to have proof of residency. If you are just validating you won't have that. It's all such a long time ago
That may have been cos you're married to an Aussie - I think they have to prove residency in order to register when they get back to Aus.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That may have been cos you're married to an Aussie - I think they have to prove residency in order to register when they get back to Aus.
Ahhh, it was his fault.......again
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ahhh, it was his fault.......again

Isn't it always

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.