Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Initial Entry Date

Initial Entry Date

Old Nov 21st 2003, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Charles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Initial Entry Date

Did anyone here validate their permanent resident visa (skilled independent migration) by going for a holiday in Australia for a few days and returning to England. Could you please share your experience? I may have to do this as I can't make my permanent move to Aus before the "initial entry date" which is 29 February 04. Cheers.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 12:56 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Initial Entry Date

Originally posted by Charles
Did anyone here validate their permanent resident visa (skilled independent migration) by going for a holiday in Australia for a few days and returning to England. Could you please share your experience? I may have to do this as I can't make my permanent move to Aus before the "initial entry date" which is 29 February 04. Cheers.
We didn't do a validation trip but I am aware someone recently posted about validating in Perth whilst taking a short holiday and the thread received advice on where to visit in only a few days. perhaps if you shared where you were intending to visit you could then get information on accomodation and/or places to see.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, we had a good holiday before validating cos they give you no time at all to get things sorted.

Walk in the park, the Aussies make no deal of it. The only thing it restricts is when you really emigrate you have a restricted baggage allowance, like a normal tourist.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Charles is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jirrupin & Zebra4 - I am planning for a short vacation in Sydney in Feb '04 and hoping to get my visa validated on arrival there. Is there anything I need to be aware of this validating visa/immigration clearance process.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

May seem a real stupid question, but does the whole family have to make the initial entry together.
I may have to stay behind to tie up loose ends
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:48 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jirrupin & Zebra4 - I am planning for a short vacation in Sydney in Feb '04 and hoping to get my visa validated on arrival there. Is there anything I need to be aware of this validating visa/immigration clearance process.
As far as I know its just a matter of getting your passport stamped. You need to be aware of items not to be brought into the country as per normal custom regs, generally no plant, food and animal material.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 2:12 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sj oldfield
May seem a real stupid question, but does the whole family have to make the initial entry together.
I may have to stay behind to tie up loose ends
Think I read on a similar post that everyone included on the visa has to go together.
If you do an archive search you may find more info.

Sue
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:10 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
Think I read on a similar post that everyone included on the visa has to go together.
If you do an archive search you may find more info.
Sue,

Everyone in a family unit who has been granted a permanent visa must eventually make a trip to Australia on that visa by the initial entry date. Failure to do this will cause the visa to lapse for that particular individual. This date is usually non-negotiable.

The main applicant should either make the trip with the entire family or enter on his/her own first. The rest of the family may enter together or after he/she has done this. The family need not go with the main applicant - they may enter Australia on another date after the main applicant, so long as it's by the initial entry date.

Peter
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

We intend to take a trip in March to validate our visas.
We had hoped to make the big move instead of a visit first but our circumstances have changed slightly

I think that each family memeber will need to visit in order to have their visas validated

Diane
Old Nov 26th 2003, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if this also applies for a long-stay temporary business visa.

How long do we have before we have to validate our visa?. We are having problems selling our house at the moment and should hear in the next two weeks whether our application has been approved or not.

Stef x
Old Nov 26th 2003, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Zebra4
Yeah, we had a good holiday before validating cos they give you no time at all to get things sorted.

Walk in the park, the Aussies make no deal of it. The only thing it restricts is when you really emigrate you have a restricted baggage allowance, like a normal tourist.
We are going to Sydney in March to validate our visa's. Didn't know about this baggage allowance issue. Is this for sure on all airlines? What if you only buy a one-way ticket when you go for good???
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:12 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
I think that each family memeber will need to visit in order to have their visas validated
Diane,

Yes, that's right - everyone in the family who has a permanent visa issued will have to enter Australia by the initial entry date. If anyone fails to do so, his/her permanent visa will lapse. If the main applicant fails to do so, the visas of everyone in the family will lapse.

Peter
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ptlabs
Diane,

Yes, that's right - everyone in the family who has a permanent visa issued will have to enter Australia by the initial entry date. If anyone fails to do so, his/her permanent visa will lapse. If the main applicant fails to do so, the visas of everyone in the family will lapse.

Peter
Peter

Thanks for clarifying that point.
I know we are a bit concerned at the moment as we are waiting to see our 9yr old sons headmaster because we want to take him out of school for approx 3-4 weeks and we don't know how he is going to react to this.
If he says no then we shall just have to make it a quick validation trip which would be a shame really as we wanted to try and make it a fact finding mission as well and visit other parts of Australia which isn't easy to do in a short space of time.
Well we should know on Monday whether we can start planning an itinerary or not

Diane