Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Info on Qld and Visas please

Info on Qld and Visas please

Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:04 am
Just Joined

jd1972 has a brilliant futurejd1972 has a brilliant futurejd1972 has a brilliant futurejd1972 has a brilliant futurejd1972 has a brilliant futurejd1972 has a brilliant future
Default Info on Qld and Visas please

Hello, i’m new here..... be gentle.

Been reading for the past year, so thought I’d be a bit more proactive and ask you guys some of the questions I can’t find the answer to (Or can’t be bothered looking for .

Firstly, when a residency Visa is accepted, how long would I have to make the move?

Are the towns and cities of Cairns, MacKay and Townsville classed as the Regional designated areas when applying for a regional employer sponsor visa?

And lastly, this is for anyone with very young children........ I have 2 girls, a toddler and a month old babay.....by the time we decide to jump, they will be a year older, but did any of you have problems with the kids coping with the heat and humidity?

BTW, I found this link to the BBC wanted down under series 7 day repeats if anyone is interested. Apologies if it has been posted before.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006s5v8

Apologies also if i'm not supposed to post links.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future
Default Re: Info on Qld and Visas please

Originally Posted by jd1972

Been reading for the past year, so thought I’d be a bit more proactive and ask you guys some of the questions I can’t find the answer to (Or can’t be bothered looking for .

Firstly, when a residency Visa is accepted, how long would I have to make the move?
usually 12 months after the date of your medicals to validate....then you have 5 years to make the permanent move....

Are the towns and cities of Cairns, MacKay and Townsville classed as the Regional designated areas when applying for a regional employer sponsor visa?
I think so

And lastly, this is for anyone with very young children........ I have 2 girls, a toddler and a month old babay.....by the time we decide to jump, they will be a year older, but did any of you have problems with the kids coping with the heat and humidity?
We travelled from sydney up to bundaberg in may 2007 with a 2 year old boy.....he had no bother with the heat at all......however we did not go up to cairns and I believe the humidity can be tough up there at times but you will aclimatise the same as everyone else.

BTW, I found this link to the BBC wanted down under series 7 day repeats if anyone is interested. Apologies if it has been posted before.

Hi ,

Hope this helps
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Would add a bit to Mark's reply in that validation of your visa 'normally' has to be done within 12 months of the meds OR the PCC, whichever was done first. Also if there was anything not straightforward with your meds, you could be given a six month window. You can never (never say never but.....) extend the time for validation.

As for your kids, they are really no different from any other age. Some acclimatise really quickly and don't suffer at all, others struggle forever with the general heat and/or humidity and never get comfortable with it. From a basic point of view, your kids are so young, they won't have the UK weather 'ingrained' in them so may be more accepting of the climate than you - could be talking bow locks - who knows I think what I'm trying to say is, don't worry about it.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

jd1972 has a brilliant futurejd1972 has a brilliant futurejd1972 has a brilliant futurejd1972 has a brilliant futurejd1972 has a brilliant futurejd1972 has a brilliant future

That's great, thanks guys..... very helpful.

Another question I forgot was:

Does the amount of capital you take to Aus make a difference to your application? I know you are awarded points on it..... but is the amount of dosh you take a factor?

That's me for now!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Does the amount of capital you take to Aus make a difference to your application? I know you are awarded points on it..... but is the amount of dosh you take a factor?

That's me for now!
You are not awarded points based on your capital. Take a look at www.immi.gov.au for an explanation of what you can get points for.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

That's me for now!
I agree with Dorothy on this one............no points awarded for money/capital.

I think the only time money comes into it is if you are thinking on retiring TO oz...........then onviously you will need money to cover yourselves.........Maybe talkin nonsense here but I think there is some sort of entrepeneurs visa or something like that.

Anyways I don't think the amount of capital you have will influence your visa app in any shape or form.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:22 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

info on qld

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505464

Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:04 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

G'day JD.

These answers all relate to the RSMS visa.

Summary of RSMS requirements.....
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...rsms/index.htm

Note under obligations it says the employee must.....
  • commence employment within six months of arriving in Australia or within six months of the visa grant if they are already in Australia
  • remain employed in the nominated position in the regional area for at least two years.
The visa may be cancelled if the employee does not comply with these obligations to complete the two year contract with the employer.

But in the first case it doesn't say how long you have before first arriving in Australia. Maybe it's covered in the detailed booklet here.....
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1131.pdf

Postcodes for Regional areas.....
http://www.immi.gov.au/employers/rsms_postcodes.htm
Cairns definitely is and I suspect Townsville and Mackay are too but I don't know what their post codes are.

I've seen quite a few young children arrive in Cairns and am not aware that any have had a problem with the heat and humidity.