Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For info - forgotten TFN

For info - forgotten TFN

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:39 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Default For info - forgotten TFN

Thought would share this in case happens to anyone else

I just arrived in NSW and need a TFN reminder (had a WHV before). Woman at the ATO wouldn't release my old TFN on the phone because I couldn't prove my identity enough (I didn't have my old bank details & didn't know how much my tax refund was in 05). She said my options were:
1. go to ATO shopfront in person (nearest to me is 5 hours away - must adapt to new dimensions )
2. send proofs of ID including new address - this will take 28 days

Can't prove new address yet as only been here 3 days and as I'm already working I need TFN soonest rather than later, so finding this out was a bummer to say the least! I pleaded for another option but was told there was none. However, chose not to give up and found solution myself later online. Usually online app is not possible as proof of identity is required. However! Migrants can apply online in 10 minutes for new / reminder TFN, with no proof of identity required, just passport number and a few questions answered (all checks are done by DIAC):

https://iar.ato.gov.au/iarweb/defaul...id=1&outcome=1