Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Inflation at six year high

Wikiposts

Inflation at six year high

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inflation at six year high

Originally Posted by renth
Agreed 100%. I think that's what he'll do, he's a pretty shrewd operator, he'll fulfil his election promise but it won't be by handing out cash to all and sundry, John Howard style.

The $6000 credit for property investors charging 20% less than market rate on these new affordable homes he's just announced could be part of that.

I have always believed that reducing the tax burden on Super would be a great idea. It would encourage people to save more earlier on in their lives, would provide a better quality of retirement, and is also not immediately inflationary as hand out tax cuts would be.

S
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:07 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
What he does have control over, however is the millions of dollars of tax cuts he promised us during the election campaign. Given the figures released yesterday, he may do well to consider the governments position with them, or consider applying them in a way that doesn't generate immediate inflationary pressure, such as reducing tax on super funds or similar.

Just a thought on that from a non economist. He could still give the tax cuts but at the same time increase the GST rate giving more revenue to the government. I seem to remember Thatcher doing the same with VAT in the past.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I have always believed that reducing the tax burden on Super would be a great idea. It would encourage people to save more earlier on in their lives, would provide a better quality of retirement, and is also not immediately inflationary as hand out tax cuts would be.
Agreed, the exact opposite of what the criminal Gordon Brown did in the UK and boy or boy are our poor old compatriots going to pay for that in one generation's time, or sooner.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Trixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really nice

Yep, the tradition of painful Labour continues.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:45 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Giving cash out like that is fueling the fire, live first home owner grants it's just pushes prices up.

Originally Posted by renth
The $6000 credit for property investors charging 20% less than market rate on these new affordable homes he's just announced could be part of that.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

I'm not good at economics so bare with me. I'm in the NW part of the US. Average housing cost is about maybe $250,000, food is pretty dirt cheap, our interest rates are at 3% and inflation is generally 3.5% (.5% lower than aus). Is the US just digging itself a huge hole while trying to get itself out of a downturn in the economy in the short term...or what exactly are the differences between the countries and the way they're handing things