Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Inflation In Australia!

Inflation In Australia!

Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inflation In Australia!

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Used my brain we rent a right shack $290 a week

Seriously tho, do most people up sticks, move to the other side of the world to have to scrimp and scrape. Most are moving out for the exact opposite reason, its the bigger house, pool, 4WD they WANT.

Suggest a $70,000 house with land in the outback and most would run a mile.
It sickens me - do you know why. I can't help but feel that this is all part of a sickness that has been going on since WW2. Toys, toys and more toys.

I often say that people don't get Australia - most people don't get life. They live in a micro climate of houses, toys and stuff and then wonder why inflation gets them in the end. I feel physically sick everytime I go to a shopping centre and see faceless people walking around spending the money they earnt in the week. Battery hens! They've never lived, unless they've spent money on a holiday where they think are living - but they are still spoonfed!

Move to Australia and enjoy the country!! Forget the bloody idiots, poms or otherwise lol.

You know me, I am in no way a hippy either! I sound like one.

We've spent 2k on our deck/pergola restoring it so we can enjoy our home, but I'm not throwing money around to improve value or keep up with the joneses.

I am happy over here because I have stayed away from all the baggage and crap people say they want to get away from, then choose to have and then complain about once more. Part of that was making a decision early on to get out of a spiral - and we did it. We couldn't be happier - I can't remember the last time I was ever down, depressed, or couldn't sleep, or add to look at bank statements with worry.

cheers
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:18 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
It sickens me - do you know why. I can't help but feel that this is all part of a sickness that has been going on since WW2. Toys, toys and more toys.

cheers

You make a very valid (if ever so slightly long-winded!) point. I get the impression that alot of people come over to Aus expecting some sort of lifestyle change but never do anything about achieving it. They replicate their UK lives but with a bit more sun.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:22 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Inflation In Australia!

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Well I would pity anyone coming out here and thinking its cheap :scared:

Maybe its had its day as a destination for brits looking for cheap and sunny lifestyle, you might have hit the nail on the head there, so instead of india jokes, why not consider a move there, probably a right old bob or two to be made there or China. Dubais hot & sunny plenty of aussies trying to get out there.
Why don't they consider revising salaries.
New Work place laws are really killing/taking away jobs and this current inflation, fuel prices, house rent etc.?Everything going up and up except salaries in Aust.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone mentioned bananas on this thread yet, bit slow there
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:26 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I've got an inflatable banana. Does that help?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:26 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Why don't they consider revising salaries.
New Work place laws are really killing/taking away jobs and this current inflation, fuel prices, house rent etc.?Everything going up and up except salaries in Aust.

Couldn't do that. It's inflationary.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:28 pm
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jayr
You make a very valid (if ever so slightly long-winded!) point. I get the impression that alot of people come over to Aus expecting some sort of lifestyle change but never do anything about achieving it. They replicate their UK lives but with a bit more sun.

We get food carts on the pavements. Here it’s 25 bht per meal. That is less than 1 A$ per meal.
Come here and enjoy, sun, beaches and lovely girls of course.

You are always welcome to Thailand.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:50 pm
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by bru
We get food carts on the pavements. Here it’s 25 bht per meal. That is less than 1 A$ per meal.
Come here and enjoy, sun, beaches and lovely girls of course.

You are always welcome to Thailand.

I'll just get my boogie board bag...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Mate. I'm always valid. And right too.
If a tad longwinded once in a while.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

I often say that people don't get Australia - most people don't get life. They live in a micro climate of houses, toys and stuff and then wonder why inflation gets them in the end. I feel physically sick everytime I go to a shopping centre and see faceless people walking around spending the money they earnt in the week. Battery hens! They've never lived, unless they've spent money on a holiday where they think are living - but they are still spoonfed!

Move to Australia and enjoy the country!! Forget the bloody idiots, poms or otherwise lol.

You know me, I am in no way a hippy either! I sound like one.

We've spent 2k on our deck/pergola restoring it so we can enjoy our home, but I'm not throwing money around to improve value or keep up with the joneses.

I am happy over here because I have stayed away from all the baggage and crap people say they want to get away from, then choose to have and then complain about once more. Part of that was making a decision early on to get out of a spiral - and we did it. We couldn't be happier - I can't remember the last time I was ever down, depressed, or couldn't sleep, or add to look at bank statements with worry.

cheers
Couldn't agree more, and it's the very reason we're looking to move to Aus. Not because we want 'more', but because we need 'less', and that doesn't seem to be an option in the UK anymore. When (if) we move, I intend my life to change; different job, different house, different way of life completely, not be the same as it is here but in the sun.

Done the big house, done the big car; both were like millstones around the neck. Just want to downsize, get back to basics a bit, fed up of my possession owning me.

cheers
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spartacus
Couldn't agree more, and it's the very reason we're looking to move to Aus. Not because we want 'more', but because we need 'less', and that doesn't seem to be an option in the UK anymore. When (if) we move, I intend my life to change; different job, different house, different way of life completely, not be the same as it is here but in the sun.

Done the big house, done the big car; both were like millstones around the neck. Just want to downsize, get back to basics a bit, fed up of my possession owning me.

cheers
If you have a series of factors that allow you to do this - its achievable (but getting harder - oh yes).

Just be careful thats all.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:45 pm
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Inflation In Australia!

Originally Posted by spartacus

cheers
This sounds like Aust is a place for old and retired people who already had too much out of this life.But for the young generation and new people they want to still achieve these milestones and target, this place is getting frustrating.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:45 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
bananas - pah - you wanna talk about the cost of lettuce !!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:53 pm
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by wargod
two thirds of the price of lettuce is hidden
Old Jul 27th 2006, 5:18 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wargod

I've grown my own from seed. Hardly cost me a thing. I got 'cut and grow' lettuce which I can cut leaves off and it keeps growing more of them. It's dead easy and even grows in the winter.