Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Indians Discrimination In Melbourne

Indians Discrimination In Melbourne

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Indians Discrimination In Melbourne

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
I think part of the problem is a lack of opportunities. In India there is currently a huge oversupply of professionals and a lack of jobs for them. Many of the call centre workers are Engineers/Doctors who couldn't get jobs in their fields and so do call centre work, because it beats being unemployed.
I think you will find that the people who find it difficult to find a job in India despite having a "degree" are the ones who have obtained their degrees from one of the lesser known/dubious institutions (typically where the criteria for admission is not on merit - but high capitation fees. There is absolutely no dearth of jobs for the likes of people who graduate/obtain degrees from well known/top institutions - e.g. IIT; IIT...etc. Most of the campus placements take place in the final year and people have several job offers even before they've graduated. Most of the graduates from these institutes go on to study further (mainly US/UK - very few to Australia) and then find jobs and continue to live there.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by inno
INDIAN preffessionals are all over the world.India and China produces some of the best graduates in the world.I DO NOT KNOW WHY YOU CALL IT POINTLESS EDUCATION.When i was at Oxford ,Most of my lectures were from Indian and Africa.Is there education pointless,yet they teach PHD students.I smell a rat on this forum.

Next time when you fall ill ,i can assure you,you will be attended by a doctor from India .

iF YOU HAVE AN elderly relative in Australia,uk, or usa YOU WILL APPRECIATE the role played by foreigners in hospitals and care homes.

THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU WRITE

Australia needs people .It is a country of immigrations.Read he history of Australia and know who are the original Australians and see were you are yourself
And you say you were at Oxford? Yeah, I smell a rat too.....
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:41 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kassy
And you say you were at Oxford? Yeah, I smell a rat too.....
Polytechnic-cum-faux-university I guess?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieG
I think you will find that the people who find it difficult to find a job in India despite having a "degree" are the ones who have obtained their degrees from one of the lesser known/dubious institutions (typically where the criteria for admission is not on merit - but high capitation fees. There is absolutely no dearth of jobs for the likes of people who graduate/obtain degrees from well known/top institutions - e.g. IIT; IIT...etc. Most of the campus placements take place in the final year and people have several job offers even before they've graduated. Most of the graduates from these institutes go on to study further (mainly US/UK - very few to Australia) and then find jobs and continue to live there.
Really?

What about all the well trained Indian doctors/Pharmacists etc. that are working in US/Australia/UK (less in Canada because of current difficulty in obtaining a match there) because they couldn't find work in India?

Perhaps the IT field has a lot of jobs, but it looks like there are far too many Health industry graduates with not enough opportunities.

The ones I've met obtain foreign qualifications to give them a leg up, or foreign capital to build themselves a hospital...providing they want to return.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, really.

Well trained Indian doctors don't necessarily work in the US/UK because they can't find a job in India. Several reasons for migration - e.g. a better quality of life than in India could be a reason.

The good ones who get admission based on merit and not by paying their way or admission based on "reservation" mostly have no problem finding jobs in India. They may however still prefer going overseas. Same applies to a large number of other Indian professionals.

Having a degree/qualification does not necessarily mean they're well trained. Depends how and from where they obtained their qualification to a very large extent.

Last edited by IndieG; Feb 23rd 2009 at 6:26 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Next time when you fall ill ,i can assure you,you will be attended by a doctor from India .
I can assure you I won't. My doctor, private hospital surgeon, dentist, optician, accountant, tailor and dry cleaner are all Korean. Can you see a pattern here?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

husaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Indians Discrimination In Melbourne

Originally Posted by IndieG
Yes, really.

Well trained Indian doctors don't necessarily work in the US/UK because they can't find a job in India. Several reasons for migration - e.g. a better quality of life than in India could be a reason.

The good ones who get admission based on merit and not by paying their way or admission based on "reservation" mostly have no problem finding jobs in India. They may however still prefer going overseas. Same applies to a large number of other Indian professionals.

Having a degree/qualification does not necessarily mean they're well trained. Depends how and from where they obtained their qualification to a very large extent.
Hi all,
My two cents on the issue. I'm an Indian IT professional and electronics engineering graduate from a reputed central university in India. The problem with India is that it produces world class professionals in fields of engineering, medicine and management but these guys dont feel welcome here after graduating. Also, as a result of fierce hard work and shear competetion that they are quite used to during and after their studies, they find it very easy to compete and march ahead in developed countries. I came to Australia in 2006 on deputation for a year and got lots of accolades for my work from my Australian client. With the world being 'flatter' day in day out, I dont see anything wrong in being ambitious and looking for the best opportunity available in the world. But there is another angle to it very beautifully put by my cousin (an australian citizen since 1995 after doing his MD in radiology from the best medical college in india). He once said to me:-

"There are two types of talented middle class indians. One, who graduate from IIT, IIM, AIIMS and get highly subsidized world class education and migrate to US, Canada etc to serve western world. The others who graduate from second tier (non IIT, IIM etc) colleges work hard to get themselves enrolled into best universities in the world to get their masters from Harvard, MIT and end up paying thousands of dollars to these countries."

He belonged to first category. I'm trying to be included in the second one...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by husaing
Hi all,
My two cents on the issue. I'm an Indian IT professional and electronics engineering graduate from a reputed central university in India. The problem with India is that it produces world class professionals in fields of engineering, medicine and management but these guys dont feel welcome here after graduating. Also, as a result of fierce hard work and shear competetion that they are quite used to during and after their studies, they find it very easy to compete and march ahead in developed countries. I came to Australia in 2006 on deputation for a year and got lots of accolades for my work from my Australian client. With the world being 'flatter' day in day out, I dont see anything wrong in being ambitious and looking for the best opportunity available in the world. But there is another angle to it very beautifully put by my cousin (an australian citizen since 1995 after doing his MD in radiology from the best medical college in india). He once said to me:-

"There are two types of talented middle class indians. One, who graduate from IIT, IIM, AIIMS and get highly subsidized world class education and migrate to US, Canada etc to serve western world. The others who graduate from second tier (non IIT, IIM etc) colleges work hard to get themselves enrolled into best universities in the world to get their masters from Harvard, MIT and end up paying thousands of dollars to these countries."

He belonged to first category. I'm trying to be included in the second one...
I have no reason at all to disagree - but I would add a third type - cannot communicate, or be easily understood.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

husaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant futurehusaing has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Re: Indians Discrimination In Melbourne

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I have no reason at all to disagree - but I would add a third type - cannot communicate, or be easily understood.
Hi,
I agree with you if 'communication' here refers to communicating in English. I think that is expected given English not being our first/native language.

Thanx
Husain