Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Increased Baggage allowance for Migration

Increased Baggage allowance for Migration

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 6:52 am
Just Joined

polsteam is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Increased Baggage allowance for Migration

Hi,Can anyone give me details of which airlines allow extra luggage when moving to OZ ,including any relevant details. My wife and I are within a couple of months of departure.Any info on this subject will be really useful and well appreciated.
Polsteam
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Increased Baggage allowance for Migration

I'm fairly sure Singapore Airlines do - but has to be booked with your tickets, has to be one way flight too I think and first time entry, so validation.

Worth asking when you get quotes on flight prices I'd say.

Good luck.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polsteam
Hi,Can anyone give me details of which airlines allow extra luggage when moving to OZ ,including any relevant details. My wife and I are within a couple of months of departure.Any info on this subject will be really useful and well appreciated.
Polsteam

all i can say is check and double check then get it in writing, we thought we were allowed the extra baggage when we emigrated and they didnt allow it as we were stoping over else where so it wasnt classed as a direct flight, if you shipping stuff put as much as you can in that-private hollage from the airport costs a fortune or if you have to pay extra baggage you will have to pay on every flight!

good luck thow hope this helps

geex
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:10 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

i asked singapore airlines

their reply

Dear sir / madam

Do you allow a baggage allowance of 40 kilo per person within the standard flight costs for people that are emigrating to Australia
I have read that this service was available on the web in a travel forum and I thought it would be prudent to check that this was the case

Best regards steve

Sent: 06 March 2006 16:17
To: steve
Subject: Re:

Hi,

Thank you for your email regarding migrant baggage allowance. The baggage allowance in Economy Class is 20kgs.

Passengers emigrating to Australia in Economy Class are entitled to double baggage allowance if holding the correct visa.

The visa must be an unused migrant visa that states to remain in Australia indefinitely. If you are holding this visa you will be entitled to 40kgs baggage allowance on showing the visa at check in.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing 1 item alone does not exceed 32kgs for health and safety purposes.

If you are not holding the correct visa then we will only be able to waive 5kgs to bring the total baggage allowance to 25kgs. This again will be upon check in.

Its approximately GBP30.00 per per extra kg if taking excess baggage.

All passengers are entitled to 1 main piece of hand luggage at 7kgs. Hand luggage allowance can not be exceeded

Kind regards
Singapore Airlines
"steve" <[email protected]>
06/03/2006 09:04
To: <[email protected]>
cc:
Subject:
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 1:08 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Polsteam
I am flying on the 16th August with emirates and my sister, who works at gatwick, went to the emirates desk and asked if I could have the extra luggage allowance and they said yes, even if we have validated our visas. All we have to do is prove that we are emigrating on that day.

If I were you I would phone and ask for written confirmation.

Karen
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wargod
I am flying on the 16th August with emirates and my sister, who works at gatwick, went to the emirates desk and asked if I could have the extra luggage allowance and they said yes, even if we have validated our visas. All we have to do is prove that we are emigrating on that day.

If I were you I would phone and ask for written confirmation.

Karen
I phoned Emirites at Birmingham and they said no, 20kgs only plus 7kg hand luggage, I explained that we were emigrating and she still said no.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 2:32 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chugo101
I phoned Emirites at Birmingham and they said no, 20kgs only plus 7kg hand luggage, I explained that we were emigrating and she still said no.
We flew with Emirates back in January and were allowed 40kg, we had this confirmed a few weeks before we flew.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Greg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the rough

Polsteam
I rang up the Emirates call centre this week as we are about to book flights and they said 40kg no problem. Just need to confirm it with them after booking to make sure they have a note of it.

It seems that most of the problems arrive when wanting to arrange a stopover on the flight

Last edited by Greg, Michele and Bella; Jul 23rd 2006 at 3:48 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Greg, Michele and Bella
I rang up the Emirates call centre this week as we are about to book flights and they said 40kg no problem. Just need to confirm it with them after booking to make sure they have a note of it.

It seems that most of the problems arrive when wanting to arrange a stopover on the flight
We're not having a stopover but flying Birmingham - Dubai -Melbourne, only stopping at Dubai for a couple of hours. I'll hav e to contact them again I think. Has anyone travelled from Birmingham and had this ok'd?
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 6:42 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Increased Baggage allowance for Migration

If you fly via the USA with Air New Zealand or United for instance you get 46kg per passenger no matter what visa you are on.

Buzzy