Incomes

Old Sep 19th 2002, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Incomes

Without getting too personal, I thought it would be interesting to post what jobs are paying in Australia and UK too. The reason is lots of discussion here about posting useful info. Surely this would be a post that cold be done without arguments.
Old Sep 19th 2002, 8:19 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Incomes

Originally posted by dotty:
Without getting too personal, I thought it would be interesting to post what jobs are paying in Australia and UK too. The reason is lots of discussion here about posting useful info. Surely this would be a post that cold be done without arguments.
No problem for me.

30 year old chartered accountant:
London: 65,000 pounds.
Sydney: should be $98,000 (sad is'nt it!)

Luckily for me I still get paid the London salary as am still a UK employee on a temp contract to Sydney for 2 years. Hoorah for silly employers!
Old Sep 19th 2002, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Dannyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I get £55K in UK (with London weighting) and will get $110K in Sydney, as a Training Manager in an HR dept. of a corporate , I'm going for a trial 3 years on a 457 though before PR, so will benefit from $40K LAFHA tax-breaks. I'm expecting a similar standard of living in Sydney as I have in UK (if you have an opinion on this, would be pleased to hear it.)
Old Sep 19th 2002, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

i get f**k all in uk cos of me redundancy payment.
and ill get f**k all in oz coz of me redundancy payment.
so all in all not taking to big a drop in wages
good aint it
shaun
Old Sep 19th 2002, 10:17 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Dannyboy:

I get £55K in UK (with London weighting) and will get $110K in Sydney, as a Training Manager in an HR dept. of a corporate , I'm going for a trial 3 years on a 457 though before PR, so will benefit from $40K LAFHA tax-breaks. I'm expecting a similar standard of living in Sydney as I have in UK (if you have an opinion on this, would be pleased to hear it.)
If you are happy to rent an apartment you will be better off in Sydney on that salary than in London on 55k. At the moment its a renters paradise with lots of oversupply of apartments. You will be able to comfortably afford to rent in the very best suburbs in Sydney, something 55k does'nt do for you in London. Average salaries in Sydey are still about $40k.
Old Sep 20th 2002, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Was on 11 squid ph in outskirts of London as a Bookkeeper and here it is about $19ph as a temp which means a little more than what you would get in a perm job

Money is not an issue so long as I can live as I have always done which is basically comfortable and not struggling

Yvonne

Old Sep 20th 2002, 1:23 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ywoods:
Was on 11 squid ph in outskirts of London as a Bookkeeper and here it is about $19ph as a temp which means a little more than what you would get in a perm job

Money is not an issue so long as I can live as I have always done which is basically comfortable and not struggling

Yvonne

Sorry $19 ph is not liveable enless you are bring a large amount of cash to get started in your new life , Melbourne is not that cheap .
I was 25,000 pounds per year 9 years ago in UK , best I can do in Perth now is $43000 per year same hours 37 per week.
My wife earns a little more than me ,without that life would be hard.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Sep 20th 2002 at 1:49 am.
Old Sep 20th 2002, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

around 45k-55k GBP in the UK (London) with a Mercedes company car. Now in Australia, down to $75k+super for the same job. Comparable, but certainly a drop in real terms (i.e spending / purchasing power).
Old Sep 20th 2002, 2:08 am

Originally posted by stay or go ?:
around 45k-55k GBP in the UK (London) with a Mercedes company car. Now in Australia, down to $75k+super for the same job. Comparable, but certainly a drop in real terms (i.e spending / purchasing power).
Is that really comparable? I suppose it must be a lot cheaper to live in Melb than Syd if thats the case?
My wife was on 18k in London and gets $55k+super in Syd for same job (inventory planner).
Old Sep 20th 2002, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman:

Is that really comparable? I suppose it must be a lot cheaper to live in Melb than Syd if thats the case?
My wife was on 18k in London and gets $55k+super in Syd for same job (inventory planner).
dunno - i live in melb and pay short of $2k per month for a house. judge for yourself ! I just know what i had in london, what i have here, and i am (just) worse off, but not by much.
Old Sep 20th 2002, 3:32 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

OK Dotty, can we also have your details too!?

Mine from Sydney Development Analyst IT
Reading UK = 42K Basic, +10% Bonus + Pension + Medical
Sydney AUS = 81K Basic +10% Bonus + Pension + Medical

Major loss will come when I am not on 457 and lose LAFHA

Current Major loss is Husband Income 30K pounds in the UK, no income here, has taken him three months to get a job and nothing in his field, Printing, very much who not what you know. He has just landed a job for a New Car Salesman and I am thrilled for him, about $30K Aus, but that is working most weekends as well. Will possibly cover childminding just in school holidays. But actually I am thrilled to bits for him - change of direction and all that and he is the type of person that will do his utmost. But sort of buggers up the different lifestyle bit with weekend work while I am off. We shall see how it goes. We moved for a challenge not sun and surf. We are definelty finding one coping!!!!

Regards
Old Sep 20th 2002, 3:51 am

Originally posted by Sandra:

OK Dotty, can we also have your details too!?

Mine from Sydney Development Analyst IT
Reading UK = 42K Basic, +10% Bonus + Pension + Medical
Sydney AUS = 81K Basic +10% Bonus + Pension + Medical

Major loss will come when I am not on 457 and lose LAFHA

Current Major loss is Husband Income 30K pounds in the UK, no income here, has taken him three months to get a job and nothing in his field, Printing, very much who not what you know. He has just landed a job for a New Car Salesman and I am thrilled for him, about $30K Aus, but that is working most weekends as well. Will possibly cover childminding just in school holidays. But actually I am thrilled to bits for him - change of direction and all that and he is the type of person that will do his utmost. But sort of buggers up the different lifestyle bit with weekend work while I am off. We shall see how it goes. We moved for a challenge not sun and surf. We are definelty finding one coping!!!!

Regards
Congrats to your husband, he must be pleased to be back in the work force again. My wife had similar problems here in Sydney - took 4 months for her to find any work at all. Nothing worse than arriving in a new country, not knowing anyone and having to spend all that time alone. She got shortlisted for a few positions but fell at the final hurdle. When we asked why, it was 'cos they did not like or did not understand the 457 visa or in 1 case wanted to give the job to an Aussie.

Anyway, finally she got some temp work which ran for about 8 months and this week, after 1 year, has just started her first proper job, equivalent to what she did in London. So after 50+ applications and 1 year of trying she finally got the permanent job she deserves.

We're not bitter tho', as of course people on 457's are a gamble for an employer when they want a permanent employee. I have a couple Aussie friends who left here for London 3 months ago who are highly qualified people and all they can get there is bar work. It works both ways.
Old Sep 20th 2002, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Ok, we have own business, so our pays (if we were working for someone) would be.

My Office duties in Qld would be around $12 per hour..

Husband is qualified carpenter and electrician both would pay around $30.00 per hour. (This is higher than normal as the building industry is booming).

Teenage kids, earn between $6-8 dollars an hour working in restaurants/supermarkets.

These are QLD rates which would be higher in Syd Melb.

I have put them in hours as most jobs here are classed as Casual Labour. Paying by the hour deletes holiday, sick, leave, super etc. Unfortunately most people we know are classed as Casual, even some who have worked for 12 years!
I do feel employers take advantage of that and most jobs are hourly not salary.

As for setting up our own business, it was worth it but it took years to build up. Husband was Australian so his contacts definately helped tho.l
Old Sep 20th 2002, 6:23 am
Chris

"dotty" wrote in message
news:419512.1032420873@britishexpats-
.com
    > Without getting too personal, I thought it would be interesting to post
    > what jobs are paying in Australia and UK too. The reason is lots of
    > discussion here about posting useful info. Surely this would be a post
    > that cold be done without arguments.

Here's something more useful than what this thread is leading up to (like,
wow, UK earns you 3x the amount of money if you convert it! - we all know
that). The W.H.O. has GDP per capita based on international dollars, which
take into consideration spending power etc. given the currency etc. in each
country.

Australia: $26,524pa
UK: $24,339pa

Going by this, Australians generally have $2,000 worth of additional buying
power in their own countries than people in the UK. Of course, when you
take an Aussie Dollar out of the country, it buys you a lot less than a GB
pound (but this, we all already knew).

http://www.who.int/country/aus/en/
http://www.who.int/country/gbr/en/

Chris

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 20th 2002, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Like you I am married, so there is a dual income. In London I was on my own and still managed and had money over to save.

I am not materialistic so living a basic life is easy for me. Rent here is about $250 pw so it is manageable *shrug*

Yvonne

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

Sorry $19 ph is not liveable enless you are bring a large amount of cash to get started in your new life , Melbourne is not that cheap .
I was 25,000 pounds per year 9 years ago in UK , best I can do in Perth now is $43000 per year same hours 37 per week.
My wife earns a little more than me ,without that life would be hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.