Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

income tax refund (UK)

income tax refund (UK)

Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:22 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default income tax refund (UK)

Hi,

we`re trying to decide whether to leave for OZ just after we both finish our notice period, or stay an extra week or two if we have to sort out putting our P60`s/P45`s (whichever it is) into the tax dept for a refund. We`ll be leaving end of May/early June, so it`ll only be a couple of months worth of tax refund.

What did the rest of you do regarding this type of thing?
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: income tax refund (UK)

Originally Posted by Stormz
Hi,

we`re trying to decide whether to leave for OZ just after we both finish our notice period, or stay an extra week or two if we have to sort out putting our P60`s/P45`s (whichever it is) into the tax dept for a refund. We`ll be leaving end of May/early June, so it`ll only be a couple of months worth of tax refund.

What did the rest of you do regarding this type of thing?

I got my P45 a few days after leaving work in UK. Once in Australia I downloaded form P85 (I think) from the Inland Revenue website and filled it in and sent it back to the tax office in UK with my P45. About 6 weeks later I was sent a cheque with my tax refund to my address here.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 11:29 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by melibeam
I got my P45 a few days after leaving work in UK. Once in Australia I downloaded form P85 (I think) from the Inland Revenue website and filled it in and sent it back to the tax office in UK with my P45. About 6 weeks later I was sent a cheque with my tax refund to my address here.

Hope that helps.
That definitely does, cheers

It`s either that or use one of those tax-return firms which charge a percentage.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 1:35 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by melibeam

Hope that helps.
Yep.....thats it - P45 (Parts 2 and 3) go with a completed P85 to your relevant tax office. Keep Part 1 of your P45 and a copy of your P85 in case you have to chase anything - they have an horrendous track record of losing things.

All being well, and if you are entitled, you might get your refund in a couple of months.

Regards

Jim
Old Feb 25th 2005, 3:24 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
All being well, and if you are entitled, you might get your refund in a couple of months.

Regards

Jim

They are often much quicker than that, can be just a couple of weeks. If any tax has been paid in say just April and May you may not have even earned enough on an annual absis to hit the tax free allowance bit (around 600oGBP is it now??). In any case you will have bben taxed monthly as if you were earning annually, so paying 23% on x, 40% on y or whatever. Given only a couple of months work your annual tax bracket equivelent may be 0 or 10%. In the first case you would get all of your 2005/06 tax paid back off IR.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 3:30 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by jayr
They are often much quicker than that, can be just a couple of weeks. If any tax has been paid in say just April and May you may not have even earned enough on an annual absis to hit the tax free allowance bit (around 600oGBP is it now??). In any case you will have bben taxed monthly as if you were earning annually, so paying 23% on x, 40% on y or whatever. Given only a couple of months work your annual tax bracket equivelent may be 0 or 10%. In the first case you would get all of your 2005/06 tax paid back off IR.

There have been a few problems, seeming to date back to July 2004 which could be what Jim is referring to. I got messed around a bit. I would advice anyone claiming tax back to keep a copy of all forms sent in, and if nothing has appeared in your nominated account within 6-8weeks, drop them a chase-up email. My claim did disappear into a black hole until I chased it up, and had to re-do all the forms!