Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Income tax on 457 visa?

Income tax on 457 visa?

Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:01 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income tax on 457 visa?

Originally Posted by northernbird
Possibly although I can't see why they would pay for some employees and not for us. Anyway as it happens we have PR and that was more important to us than any money we could have claimed. The company can still pull the rug from under 457 holders and they would have to leave, no amount of money could compensate us for that.
No, not HAVE to leave...just have to find another sponsor!!! lol
But you was badly advised....it has turned out ok for you but please do not advise others based upon your poor service given to you.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:26 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
No, not HAVE to leave...just have to find another sponsor!!! lol
But you was badly advised....it has turned out ok for you but please do not advise others based upon your poor service given to you.
You have to find another sponsor and PDQ, dead easy that isn't it I don't think I am advising badly. you find me the paragraph on the ATO website that states that as a 457 holder that you qualify for LAFHA and I will hold my hands up. It isn't there. My husbands company is a global leader in the resource industry, I would say their tax advisors are pretty bob on.

Last edited by northernbird; Apr 17th 2008 at 1:28 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Without examining individual circumstances in detail it is very difficult to advise anyone as to whether LAFHA is payable, and I think any poster would be wise to beware of saying that another was given wrong advice.

In the case of someone who is not maintaining a home elsewhere and is intending to apply for PR, it could well be that the employers would not be willing to support a LAFHA payment.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:48 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
You have to find another sponsor and PDQ, dead easy that isn't it I don't think I am advising badly. you find me the paragraph on the ATO website that states that as a 457 holder that you qualify for LAFHA and I will hold my hands up. It isn't there. My husbands company is a global leader in the resource industry, I would say their tax advisors are pretty bob on.
OK, as stated the rules on LAFHA are confusing, but everyone who works away from home in Australia is eligible, not just 457 holders. Their tax advisors were either incompetent or lazy. I gave a link earlier to the site which explains it all.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:52 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Without examining individual circumstances in detail it is very difficult to advise anyone as to whether LAFHA is payable, and I think any poster would be wise to beware of saying that another was given wrong advice.

In the case of someone who is not maintaining a home elsewhere and is intending to apply for PR, it could well be that the employers would not be willing to support a LAFHA payment.
No, maintaining a home elsewhere or not has no bearing on LAFHA whatsoever, however, intent to apply for PR is not the same as APPLYING for PR. I may INTEND to apply for PR but until I pursue that avenue I am still eligible for LAFHA. Christ, why does everyone make things difficult here when all people want is a simple answer!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:30 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

OK, as stated the rules on LAFHA are confusing, but everyone who works away from home in Australia is eligible, not just 457 holders. Their tax advisors were either incompetent or lazy. I gave a link earlier to the site which explains it all.
No you are wrong, not everyone working away from home in Australia is eligible. If you had read the documentation you would realise that.

To the OP. If your company are willing to offer it, great. If you don't ask you don't get. However despite what Mr Paddo says it is not a foregone conclusion that you are entitled to LAFHA.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:58 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No, maintaining a home elsewhere or not has no bearing on LAFHA whatsoever, however, intent to apply for PR is not the same as APPLYING for PR. I may INTEND to apply for PR but until I pursue that avenue I am still eligible for LAFHA. Christ, why does everyone make things difficult here when all people want is a simple answer!
Because it is an ATO issue, and it isn't simple, numerous threads over the years have shown this.
Maintaining a home elsewhere, as I said, COULD be an issue when deciding on LAFHA. I would seriously advise that anyone looking at claiming it gets independent financial advice from someone familiar with the Aussie tax system; it can be a very complex issue, both for migrans and for Aussies themselves.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

Because it is an ATO issue, and it isn't simple, numerous threads over the years have shown this.
Maintaining a home elsewhere, as I said, COULD be an issue when deciding on LAFHA. I would seriously advise that anyone looking at claiming it gets independent financial advice from someone familiar with the Aussie tax system; it can be a very complex issue, both for migrans and for Aussies themselves.
Thanks Pollyana.
Didn't intend to start a world war 3
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:10 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by winedonju
Thanks Pollyana.
Keeps me in work......trouble is I work on BE from home, wonder if I can claim a LAHAWA (Living At Home And Working Allowance)?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:58 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Thanks Pollyana.
Don't be a daftie. Like I said, if you don't ask you don't get but don't factor it in, make sure you can afford to come without it because if you want to stay here and get PR you will have to lose it anyway.

Good luck
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:15 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Thanks Pollyana.
lol.....not WW3 at all!! I think the fact we all have our opinions is a good thing. I spent all last night trying to find one cogent explanation of LAFHA for you and could I find it, could I bugger as like!!
One thing I omitted to mention is that your 457 will have a minimum salary capped to it, which, if you receive LAFHA can be affected.
I am right though.............!!!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:21 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Agree with first part and the complexity doesn't help in resolving discussions.
Also totally agree with getting advice from an ATO registered consultant if the company you are going to is not on the ball. Mine is so that helped. I ALWAYS question anyone who says "no, you can't" as more often than not its their lack of knowledge of the subject rather than their expertise that is guiding the answer! My Mobility Coordinator here said I wasn't entitled to a Relocation Agent, I knew I was, so not only questioned her understanding of the process but her committment to supporting me....funny old thing, next day she emailed me saying yes I was eligible but she was unaware of that. It wasn't entirely her fault as that was not part of her normal work stream handed over to her but the previous incumbent soon rectified that. So ask ask ask until you get a truly definitive answer that is written down in black and white.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:23 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

On the isssue of whether or not your are actually required to retain some other residence to get LAFHA - YOU ARE NOT!

I was under the misguided impression for years (when receiving LAFHA) that I may not actually be entitled due to NOT having a UK residence.

However, the ATO DOES NOT REQUIRE another residence to be maintained

Never assume professional tax advisers or HR departments (or immigration agents for that matter) actually KNOW the law.

Also, never rely on the ATO website to find what you are after
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

winedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to beholdwinedonju is a splendid one to behold

Keeps me in work......trouble is I work on BE from home, wonder if I can claim a LAHAWA (Living At Home And Working Allowance)?
You mean you don't already?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jayr
On the isssue of whether or not your are actually required to retain some other residence to get LAFHA - YOU ARE NOT!

I was under the misguided impression for years (when receiving LAFHA) that I may not actually be entitled due to NOT having a UK residence.

However, the ATO DOES NOT REQUIRE another residence to be maintained

Never assume professional tax advisers or HR departments (or immigration agents for that matter) actually KNOW the law.

Also, never rely on the ATO website to find what you are after
Right then.....so let me get this striaght
You don't have to keep a home in the UK (which is good cos we have sold already....just waiting to exchange!), BUT, does BUYING (opposed to renting) make a difference to LAFHA????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.