income tax!

Old Sep 20th 2003, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

teresa31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default income tax!

you know how in england you get a job ,you give them your national insurance n0. then at the end of the month you get your wages 'minus' tax.well is it true that you have to work your own tax out on a yearly basis in oz as you would here if self employed
Old Sep 20th 2003, 10:01 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: income tax!

Originally posted by teresa31
you know how in england you get a job ,you give them your national insurance n0. then at the end of the month you get your wages 'minus' tax.well is it true that you have to work your own tax out on a yearly basis in oz as you would here if self employed

EVERYONE IN OZ (EVEN RETIRED) HAS TO LODGE A TAX RETURN
Old Sep 20th 2003, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by yafm
sorry to sound a bit dense but does this involve hiring an accountant or can it be done by oneself?
if so how hard is it?
Old Sep 20th 2003, 11:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've been told its not too difficult. Seems that getting an accountant to do it though is a LOT cheaper than getting one over here - my Bloke is just an ordinary storesman, but he says its so cheap that he gets a guy to do it for him - and also the guy knows everything you can claim for - lots more stuff than you can claim for here, so I'm told.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 12:12 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Polly Wher do they keep the kangaroos and who taught them to dance - I thought they culd only box
Old Sep 20th 2003, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It will seems like going back to school when we get out there- all of these new procedures to follow!
Old Sep 20th 2003, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by tinaj
It will seems like going back to school when we get out there- all of these new procedures to follow!
hello tina
yes i know what you mean i think though it is one of the tests of whether or not you are really prepared to go through with the whole thing of emigrating, because it seems to me with the long list of things to do before you get there and then all the things you have to do when you actually arrive and i think if you get through all the prep. then all the rest is a piece of cake.
teresa
p.s.
well i'm hoping that is the case anyway.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 3:33 pm
WBB

you learn something new everyday...

Old Sep 20th 2003, 5:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you get stuck Tina, remember I shall be there shortly before you, and am marrying a local - he's been very patient with me asking stupid questions about tax and doctors and supermarkets and every day life! So what I haven't learnt, I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you.
Perhaps while I'm waiting to get a job I should make a point of putting all the everyday stuff I learn onto the forums for the next batch of arrivals?
Old Sep 20th 2003, 11:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by teresa31
No need for an accountant although they might know a few loopholes. Read up on what you can claim against tax for your profession and save receipts. You can claim $300 without any receipts.

The return can be done online using a program from the ATO. I have used it successfully the last 2 years.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 1:05 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Your average accountant on the High Street in Australia will be fine if you "only" have a salary and some income from investments that are within Australia.

If you have savings or income from property, etc that are outside Australia I'd ask a few more questions before engaging a firm though, as based on my dealings I'd not expect too many tax accountants to have a good understanding of some of the special tax rules that can apply to those who have moved to Australia.

As bondipom says, you can file your personal Tax Return in Australia online - the ATO have a link on their website (www.ato.gov.au), and here's another:
http://www.etax.com.au/

Best regards.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 4:01 am

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Your average accountant on the High Street in Australia will be fine if you "only" have a salary and some income from investments that are within Australia.

If you have savings or income from property, etc that are outside Australia I'd ask a few more questions before engaging a firm though, as based on my dealings I'd not expect too many tax accountants to have a good understanding of some of the special tax rules that can apply to those who have moved to Australia.

As bondipom says, you can file your personal Tax Return in Australia online - the ATO have a link on their website (www.ato.gov.au), and here's another:
http://www.etax.com.au/

Best regards.
Alan

For simple tax cases ie PAYG job, some savings, how much extra could you claim back that us simple non accounting bods would miss.

Does that extra make up for any cut the accountant would take as a fee?
Old Sep 21st 2003, 4:13 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think thats true at all , my Mum didnt have to lodge a tax return for probably the last 10 years & she was retired. Yes, most people have to lodge them, including some retirees (depending on investments), but its certainly not everyone.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 4:15 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know to be honest, as I don't know what you would claim and what you would miss ... :-))

Best regards.

Originally posted by bondipom
Alan

For simple tax cases ie PAYG job, some savings, how much extra could you claim back that us simple non accounting bods would miss.

Does that extra make up for any cut the accountant would take as a fee?
Old Sep 21st 2003, 4:37 am

Originally posted by Alan Collett
I don't know to be honest, as I don't know what you would claim and what you would miss ... :-))

Best regards.
I was being a bit inprecise. From speaking to people at work those with anything other than straight forward PAYG income find tax accountants beneficial. The main reason is the time saved in figuring out the ever changing rules.

One person with an investment property said there was no way he could have figured out all the items claimed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.