Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Impressions of Perth from a New South Welshwoman

Impressions of Perth from a New South Welshwoman

Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold
Default Impressions of Perth from a New South Welshwoman

Returned yesterday from a 5-day reccie of Perth on my first visit to WA. Bit of backround on me first. Emigrated to Oz in 2003 from Oxfordshire with hubby and son, now 8. Lived in Manly, Sydney, for first 6 weeks, then 4 years in Dapto, near Wollongong, NSW and moved to Corindi Beach, near Coffs Harbour, NSW, four years ago.

We live less than a 10-minute walk from the beach and 30km north of Coffs. I drive to work past banana plantations on one side of the highway and the ocean on the other.

Moving to Perth as hubby has new job. First day in Perth last Friday started with breakfast in a cafe in the botanic gardens in Kings Park with fantastic views over the city. Blue skies, sunshine and about 20C. Great introduction to Perth. Then had a stroll in Subiaco. Lovely, very cosmopolitan,trendy and great properties with character.

Next went to Cottlesloe Beach, drove along coastal road past City Beach and walked along Scarborough Beach. All fantastic places to live but very expensive. Next day went to Fremantle. Loved it. Gorgeous historical buildings, great indoor market, lovely marina. Liked the Little Creatures Brewery where we bought a six-pack to sample the different brews. So far so good.

Then drove south to Baldivis and Settlers Hill to look at new estate and display homes. Oh dear. Just a huge housing estate with only rooftops to look at. As we drove out got more depressed as I saw acres and acres had been cleared for even more houses. Couldn't face the prospect of living there.

Cheered up when we got to Mandurah. Lovely place, especially when we discovered blocks for sale within our budget a few hundred metres from the beach at Halls Head. Only drawback is the 50-minute commute to Osborne Park where OH works.

He starts at 3pm and finishes at 10.30pm so would not be stuck in rush hour traffic we experienced driving back on the freeway to Shenton Park where OH is renting a very expensive tiny one-bedroomed furnished apartment designed for a midget !

Next day started off with a walk at Hillarys. Another very picturesque spot. Drove past all those great beachside suburbs of Whitfords Beach, Ocean Reef, Mullaloo, Iluka, Burns Beach and Mindarie. Again homes way out of our budget, short of winning the lottery. I am still trying to get my head round the size of the mansions with ocean views. They are huge.

Next visted Quinns Rocks - okay near the ocean but not sure about the rest of area. As we drove on further got that deja vu feeling as we looked round those sterile tree-less estates at Butler, Tapping, Carramar and near Ellenbrook. Just miles and miles of houses, all crammed together and overpriced.

The developers stick a lake, play area, a parade of shops and a school in the middle and somehow that makes it all right.

I have seen new houses estates like this all over NSW and Queensland but the massive difference is they are usually built against a backdrop such a mountain, steep wooded hills, nature reserve, distant sea views or lush tropical rain forest, particularly in Queensland, which makes them more appealing. The posher estates have golf courses.

Perth is just flat as far as the eye can see and what little greenery I saw was withered. OH tells me it's better in Spring. Another big difference is the lack of colour - where are all the flowers ?

I am so used to seeing stunning frangipanis,hibiscus, bouganvillea, bright purple tibochina trees and jacarandas (certain times of the year) and dozens of other colourful plants all year round that I really noticed the depressing, barren landscape of Perth.

Armadale was better as there are hills and greenery. We went to see some friends there on a cold, cloudy, wet day so imagine on a sunny day it is beautiful there. They showed us a one-acre woodland block their son bought for $270,000 on a steep hill. He is building a house on it in the next few months, complete with a chook pen and tree house for his two young children.

Good value for money but a bit too rural for me. On Monday looked at blocks for sale at Lansdale but pricey at $287,000 for 450sqm and nothing to look at but rooftops and freeways - again so flat.

Overall impression of Perth - SOR better than NOR, great areas to live anywhere near water and the city,crap further away, lots of shopping centres,clean and tidy city, great road network so easy to get to places like the beach and good train system, especially to the city. Don't know why people on BE complain about the infrastructure. Try living in regional NSW.

PS Anyone live in Halls Head -Seascapes if possible, who can tell me what it is like there, especially the school.

Last edited by kips; Jun 16th 2011 at 10:22 am.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 9:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impressions of Perth from a New South Welshwoman

My eyes hurt.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
My eyes hurt.
Sorry. Didn't mean to write so much. Got carried away.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
Sorry. Didn't mean to write so much. Got carried away.
You just need to use paragraphs.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 10:41 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Picked some of the best sights there....Halls' head good..new shopping there soon going in
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:37 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Great read - thanks for taking the time to post.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Great read - thanks for taking the time to post.
Well I have crossed off most of my Perth expats recce bingo card:

'hillaries'...'mandurah'..'tapping'..

Only one more for full house; did you see any Dolphins?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Returned yesterday from a 5-day reccie of Perth on my first visit to WA. Bit of backround on me first. Emigrated to Oz in 2003 from Oxfordshire with hubby and son, now 8. Lived in Manly, Sydney, for first 6 weeks, then 4 years in Dapto, near Wollongong, NSW

Don't know why people on BE complain about the infrastructure. Try living in regional NSW.
Surely you're not claiming that (*gasp*) Dapto is lacking in infrastructure?

Just incase you're interested... Dapto still has basically one road in and out and Horsley still gets cut off everytime there's a shower.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Little Lisa 1971 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Impressions of Perth from a New South Welshwoman

We're coming out to Perth in December to validate our Visa's so thank you very much for the great post. We are staying in Mandurah for one week then on to Scarborough for our 2nd week.

What did you think of Woodvale? I believe it has a good State Highschool and a good Uni. Our children will be 16 & 13 when we come out in Aug 2012 so schools are high on our wish list.

At the moment we too are looking at Mandurah/Hall Head SOR or Woodvale NOR. Good luck with your decision and your new life in Perth xx
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I live near Mandurah - Dawesville on the Cut golf course. Nice area with a bit of a rural feel to it and a great beach.

Halls Head is ok, though there are some very iffy bits and it has more than its fair share of bogans. A few of the streets have reputations for being pretty rough, though most bits are fine.

Mandurah is a nice town. A bit sleepy but we like that.

Dont even think about Armadale. Not unless you are very partial to muggings.

The commute from Mandurah isnt bad. I used to do it daily. Short drive to the station and train from there.

Countriside in WA is dull. Though a short drive from Mandurah are places like Pinjarra and Dwellingup which are nice.

Cant comment on schools as we dont have children but happy to answer any quastions you might have.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know why people on BE complain about the infrastructure. Try living in regional NSW.
But we don't live in a regional area, we live in a capital city!

Perth is a very dry city, perched on the edge of a desert. Even so, Perth people are very fond of their gardens, although there has been a strong move towards using native plants, which usually flower at the end of winter and in spring, some flower year round. Jacaranda time is great - but you won't find these trees close to the coast. Perhaps the areas you were looking at - houses crammed together on small blocks where all the vegetation had been destroyed - were not the best areas for you (they wouldn't be for us either). There are plenty of older suburbs with greenery, but you won't find 4x2 cheaply, if that's what you want.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little Lisa 1971
We're coming out to Perth in December to validate our Visa's so thank you very much for the great post. We are staying in Mandurah for one week then on to Scarborough for our 2nd week.

What did you think of Woodvale? I believe it has a good State Highschool and a good Uni. Our children will be 16 & 13 when we come out in Aug 2012 so schools are high on our wish list.

At the moment we too are looking at Mandurah/Hall Head SOR or Woodvale NOR. Good luck with your decision and your new life in Perth xx
Woodvale SHS has a pretty decent reputation. No uni in Woodvale though - maybe you are thinking of ECU Joondalup which is petty close by?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:01 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Armadale???? FFS That place is a crime ridden meth lab with many orgnanised crime hq's near by. In a way Mandurah isn't far off. At least Yanchep or the outer Northern Suburbs don't have this problem as much.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

Weebie,

those problems are everywhere, just more prevalent in suburbs with a lower socio-economic rating. And I would put Armadale in that category.

There are pockets of Mandurah that are the same.

Apart from meth labs, I would also caution people to avoid areas with a significant aboriginal population. The Aborigines hate whites and consider themselves above the law. This is true to a large extent because the law treats them as untouchables.

To the original poster, Seascapes is very nice but it's a pity your husband has those working hours, otherwise the train would be a very viable travel choice.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:31 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Condor of Bermuda
Weebie,

those problems are everywhere, just more prevalent in suburbs with a lower socio-economic rating. And I would put Armadale in that category.

There are pockets of Mandurah that are the same.

Apart from meth labs, I would also caution people to avoid areas with a significant aboriginal population. The Aborigines hate whites and consider themselves above the law. This is true to a large extent because the law treats them as untouchables.

To the original poster, Seascapes is very nice but it's a pity your husband has those working hours, otherwise the train would be a very viable travel choice.
That's torn it............ incoming !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.