Reload this Page >

Impressions of Perth ?

Impressions of Perth ?

Old Apr 11th 2002, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

iancurtis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Impressions of Perth ?

Hi,

Can anyone who has immigrated from the UK to Perth share their impressions with us ? What's good & bad about it ? Things to look out for ? Things you miss/don't miss ?

It would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.
Old Apr 11th 2002, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Impressions of Perth ?

I haven't actually emmigrated to Perth (we are going later this year) but we visited last year and were highly impressed.

Perth city itself is very clean, modern, well laid out and seems to have an excellent transport system. Given that its surrounded by countryside, it incorporates this nicely (e.g Kings Park and the area around the Swan River). Overall it seems to have a very pleasant "laid back" quality that helps the quality of life.

There are some very nice areas to live south of Perth (that's where we are going to settle) and the countryside generally is absolutely fantastic. From my point of view, Perth is a combination of a modern city set in a very beautiful rural setting.

As for the downside, I suppose most people would point to how remote it is. There is also the consideration that because it is just one medium sized city the employment prospects aren't as good as they might be (much of the industry is Mining or agricultural).

As always, it depends what you are after but I'd certainly reommend WA to you.

Cheers

GW
Old Apr 11th 2002, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

In the early 90's, my sister back-packed across Australia, went on a month-long coach tour around Europe, a three-month coach tour of America, and visited New Zealand. She was fed up with Britain and was keen to live somewhere nicer. Where did she end up? Perth - and that's where she has lived for the last ten years. That's her home now, and she has no desire to live anywhere else. Myself and hubby have also visited many other countries of the world, including Oz, but Perth is where we are heading in July. Three months to go and counting......
Old Apr 12th 2002, 4:00 am
Mallysutton

Hi Ian, we arrived in Perth on the 3rd of january 2002, left the U.K on new years
day, and we live south of the river and love it, we should of done it years ago and
that is my only regret. Don't really no much about the other states although having
been born in Melbourne didn't have the desire to go back there to live. We have all
settled nicely and have just recently bought some land to build, same area were
renting in at the moment as it is just bloody paradise to me. The only thing i miss
is my family as they are all back in the U.K as for anything else, i miss nothing
about the U.K. You soon see for yourself the better areas to live but we had some
good advice on the places to stay away from and we took that advice too. If you have
any thing else you would like to know let me know and i'll do my best to answer your
questions....

Goodluck anyway karen "iancurtis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone who has immigrated from the UK to Perth share their impressions with
    > us ? What's good & bad about it ? Things to look out for ? Things you
    > miss/don't miss ?
    >
    > It would be extremely helpful.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 12th 2002, 9:00 am
John Williams

Hi,

I'm also hoping to move to Perth within the next few months, first of all renting a
place in Bentley or surrounding area. Do you have any suggestions of places to build
a house south of Perth that are close to the ocean, fairly cheap, and within
commuting distance to Perth?

Many thanks in advance.

"mallysutton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1018583264.562254@angelina...
    > Hi Ian, we arrived in Perth on the 3rd of january 2002, left the U.K on
new
    > years day, and we live south of the river and love it, we should of done
it
    > years ago and that is my only regret. Don't really no much about the other states
    > although having been born in Melbourne didn't have the desire to go back there to
    > live. We have all settled nicely and have just recently
bought
    > some land to build, same area were renting in at the moment as it is just bloody
    > paradise to me. The only thing i miss is my family as they are all back in the U.K
    > as for anything else, i miss nothing about the U.K. You
soon
    > see for yourself the better areas to live but we had some good advice on
the
    > places to stay away from and we took that advice too. If you have any
thing
    > else you would like to know let me know and i'll do my best to answer your
    > questions....
    >
    > Goodluck anyway karen "iancurtis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Can anyone who has immigrated from the UK to Perth share their impressions with
    > > us ? What's good & bad about it ? Things to look out for ? Things you miss/don't
    > > miss ?
    > >
    > > It would be extremely helpful.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 12th 2002, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mallysutton
[B] We have all
settled nicely and have just recently bought some land to build, same area were
renting in at the moment as it is just bloody paradise to me.

We want to settle south of Perth too, and are hoping to self-build, would love to know where this paradise is! Thanks.
Old Apr 12th 2002, 2:30 pm
Mexdownunda

Nice answers people, but you have left out a very important point. Perth is in the
middle of a MAJOR drought, as is much of Western Australia. Garden watering is
almost out, and cost of water is about to hit the sky. It is indeed a beautiful
city, one where most will find work and pleasurable living, but be prepared for a
serious lack of water.

As you are moving to WA, please give thought to other parts of the State,
especially if you are a medical professional or teacher. You are needed badly in
the country, folks.

t juestel Port Hedland WA

iancurtis <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone who has immigrated from the UK to Perth share their impressions with
    > us ? What's good & bad about it ? Things to look out for ? Things you
    > miss/don't miss ?
    >
    > It would be extremely helpful.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Apr 14th 2002, 3:00 am
Mallysutton

Hi Jacqui, we are renting in a place called Atwell, and have just bought some land
which has just become available which will be called Atwell Waters and the artists
impression of what its going to look like just looks amazing. We are twenty minutes
from Perth city and about fifteen minutes if that from Fremantle, we are central to
everything we could possibly want, we have two children my youngest is at Atwell
primary which has an excellent reputation, and it is a state school, and in the
future the community are wanting a high school building which is probably going to
happen sooner then later, what more could we ask for..

Anyway if you have any futher questions please let me know as i know how hard it can
be when your first starting out,

Goodluck karen "Jacqui" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Originally posted by Mallysutton We have all settled nicely and have just recently
    > bought some land to build, same area were renting in at the moment as it is just
    > bloody paradise to me.
    >
    > We want to settle south of Perth too, and are hoping to self-build, would love to
    > know where this paradise is! Thanks.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Apr 14th 2002, 6:00 am
Mallysutton

Hi John aren't very familiar with the place Bently, but if your looking for somewhere
cheap and within commuting distance to Perth, your not going to get it, as places
like that are expensive, unless your prepared to travel 40 minutes each way you could
get a nice cheap plot of land and settle in Rockingham which is outstanding views and
very close to the ocean but its not somewhere were i would want to live, the crime
rates are slightly higher there then other places etc. Rockingham is known actually
as pommy land alot of Brits do settle there, but as i said you have a distance to
travel to get to the city.

Goodluck anyway karen "John Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm also hoping to move to Perth within the next few months, first of all renting a
    > place in Bentley or surrounding area. Do you have any
suggestions
    > of places to build a house south of Perth that are close to the ocean, fairly
    > cheap, and within commuting distance to Perth?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "mallysutton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1018583264.562254@angelina...
    > > Hi Ian, we arrived in Perth on the 3rd of january 2002, left the U.K on
    > new
    > > years day, and we live south of the river and love it, we should of done
    > it
    > > years ago and that is my only regret. Don't really no much about the
other
    > > states although having been born in Melbourne didn't have the desire to
go
    > > back there to live. We have all settled nicely and have just recently
    > bought
    > > some land to build, same area were renting in at the moment as it is
just
    > > bloody paradise to me. The only thing i miss is my family as they are
all
    > > back in the U.K as for anything else, i miss nothing about the U.K. You
    > soon
    > > see for yourself the better areas to live but we had some good advice on
    > the
    > > places to stay away from and we took that advice too. If you have any
    > thing
    > > else you would like to know let me know and i'll do my best to answer
your
    > > questions....
    > >
    > > Goodluck anyway karen "iancurtis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone who has immigrated from the UK to Perth share their impressions with
    > > > us ? What's good & bad about it ? Things to look out for ? Things you
    > > > miss/don't miss ?
    > > >
    > > > It would be extremely helpful.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >