Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a Vehicle

Importing a Vehicle

Old Sep 24th 2005, 1:29 pm
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute
Question Importing a Vehicle

Hi every one its been a while since I've posted but hubby and I are in a dilemma. Our car is ready to be replaced but considering we're (hoping) to be on our way to Oz within 6 - 12 months is it worth persevering with the old thing or actually getting a new(er) one to take over with us. Does any one know the costs involved in shipment and would it be worth while in the long run ?
Old Sep 24th 2005, 7:51 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing a Vehicle

Originally Posted by BRICKY ADE
Hi every one its been a while since I've posted but hubby and I are in a dilemma. Our car is ready to be replaced but considering we're (hoping) to be on our way to Oz within 6 - 12 months is it worth persevering with the old thing or actually getting a new(er) one to take over with us. Does any one know the costs involved in shipment and would it be worth while in the long run ?
IF you buy a car under 15 years old then there are big import taxes , like 40% of new cost and 10%gst plus the thousands to ship it out also.
Run you curret car till you go and buy one out there.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Importing a Vehicle

Hi

I agree with Perthforme!
You must have owned the car for at least 12 months before you can export it.
Plus you have the potential problems of ensuring the car complies with Australian regulations. I remember a post on here a while ago where a Mercedes owner faced buying new doors as his car did not have door bars fitted as standard in the UK.

We have seriously considered shipping our 5 series BMW (10 years old but worth 4 times as much in OZ), but have now decided to sell (probably on Ebay) and buy something new out there if ever we get our visa!

By the way a 4x4 gets charged even higher tax!

Good luck

AnitaB
Old Sep 25th 2005, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like you'll have to keep Chitty Chitty Bang Bang going for a while longer then!!

Old Sep 25th 2005, 3:23 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRICKY ADE
I didnt read everyones response, but thought id add this.

1. NEW car bought in UK, must be owned for i think minimum one year prior to shipping. This applies to brand new vehicles.
2. We imported our 4x4 shogun, and in hindsight wouldnt do it again. P and O charged us 1500 dollars to clean it !!!!!!!! I can SHOW you the invoice. This has been subject to a huge case against them instigated by us... i will explain.
The shipper we used in uk, we arranged from OZ, bad move !! Anyway, they sent a guy on a train, then by taxi, to our MIL's house to collect car. He then drove the CLEAN CAR down to their depot, and prepared it for shipping.
When it arrived it was dirty, we were not allowed to inspect car, as it was in CarAntine lol
So we had to pay car cleaning, or PANDFU**INO would have sold it

Moral: we did what we could to ensure car was clean, and importable, with a minimum clean and check at aussie customs, PAHHhhhh aint worth a fart in a cyclone

anyways

3. dont import left hand drives, its illegal, unless they are 30 years old.
4. look at what you can buy here, as opposed to shipping fees, storage fees, etc etc etc

Just to re iterate:
If PANDFU**INGO need to clean your car, they charge ... wait for it ....

are you waiting.... 400 dollars per hour, I HAVE THEIR invoice here !

They even charge you cleaning bay fees, ramp fees, and to hit final nail in coffin, they even charged us wear and tare on their tools, + $3.00 for detergant.

Our view was WTF costs 1500 to clean with 3.00 of detergant.... !!!????

Even FAIRY washin up liquid isnt that GOOD !!!

we learnt a hard lesson.

Steve
Old Sep 25th 2005, 3:54 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

www.discountnewcars.com.au

Some very big savings on many models.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 5:15 am
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for all your replies, its very much appreciated and with that in mind it looks like we're going to keep the old thing (1994 Mitsubishi 4x4) and run her into the ground. We're sorry if we've opened old "wounds" tho' !!!!!!!

Thanx BRICKY ADE