Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Importing a motorcycle

Importing a motorcycle

Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Importing a motorcycle

We have just had the moving people round to work out how much stuff we are going to ship, apparently we have space to include one of the motorcycles in the container. We had previously thought we would sell both bikes here and buy once we arrive in Australia. However now we can get the bike shipped (as long as the company approves us including the bike in the container) at no etc cost, we are considering shipping the bike. However neither my husband nor I can get our heads around the import, cleaning reg costs.
The bike is a 1000cc bike, that my husband has owned just 12 months (well by 7 july he will have), it was first registerd in the UK in 2008. We will be living in Sydney or surrounding area upon arrival. Has anyone imported a bike and what were all the costs involved, including insurance implications of insuring an import bike etc.
We need to work out whether or not is is feasible to import the bike, including all the costs etc so we can tell the company yes or no.

Thanks in advance for all and any advice and information.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:59 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a motorcycle

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
We have just had the moving people round to work out how much stuff we are going to ship, apparently we have space to include one of the motorcycles in the container. We had previously thought we would sell both bikes here and buy once we arrive in Australia. However now we can get the bike shipped (as long as the company approves us including the bike in the container) at no etc cost, we are considering shipping the bike. However neither my husband nor I can get our heads around the import, cleaning reg costs.
The bike is a 1000cc bike, that my husband has owned just 12 months (well by 7 july he will have), it was first registerd in the UK in 2008. We will be living in Sydney or surrounding area upon arrival. Has anyone imported a bike and what were all the costs involved, including insurance implications of insuring an import bike etc.
We need to work out whether or not is is feasible to import the bike, including all the costs etc so we can tell the company yes or no.

Thanks in advance for all and any advice and information.
For a guide on costs (and hassles) take a look at the motorbike thread : post 417 and others.

Now that I have the bike here and it's on the road I have no regrets

Good luck!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a motorcycle

Thanks, knew i'd seen something somewhere about the costs etc.