Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

importing a motorbike into oz

importing a motorbike into oz

Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:27 pm
jude

judeyoga will become famous soon enoughjudeyoga will become famous soon enough
Cool importing a motorbike into oz

me and the missus are hoping to emigrate to perth some time within the next 12 months, and I'm planning on having my bike ( a Buell 1200 ) shipped out there. Does anyone know anything about this, ie cost, time span, etc?
cheers, Mitch
Old Apr 20th 2005, 4:48 pm
Scootascum member.

scooterpom will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: importing a motorbike into oz

Hiya,

I am trying to sort out importing two of my scoots when we emigrate to Oz, hopefully in Aug / Sept (depending on house sale).

There is a load of info at the Oz customs site (www.customs.gov.au) and at the Dept of Transport site (www.dotars.gov.au) which should help.

First thing you will need to do is apply for permission to import from DOTARS (form VSB10). I've just had my approvals through and it took about a month and cost AU$50 plus costs for certified copies of docs.

As far as I can tell there are the following costs: -
10% GST on original value of bike (no depreciation!!) plus 10% of shipping and insurance costs.
Cost of getting bike modified to suit state requirements. You'd need to check with WA but for SA (where we're heading) I don't think this should be too bad. Most of the problems come for cars i.e. seatbelts, speedos, indicators etc.

A lot of people (me included) don't seem to think it's worth shipping a car, but if you can include the bike in the same container as the rest of the stuff, I'm hoping it shouldn't wind up being too expensive.

Good luck!

Cheers
Scooterpom.

Originally Posted by judeyoga
me and the missus are hoping to emigrate to perth some time within the next 12 months, and I'm planning on having my bike ( a Buell 1200 ) shipped out there. Does anyone know anything about this, ie cost, time span, etc?
cheers, Mitch