Reload this Page >

Importing Electronic Items

Importing Electronic Items

Old Apr 1st 2005, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Grassface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing Electronic Items

Hi there
In want to bring over a camcorder which has a value around a 1000 pounds, what is the situation regarding customs?
The sender is to mark it as a gift, would I still have to pay anything?
Any advice welcome.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 4:51 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Importing Electronic Items

Originally Posted by Grassface
Hi there
In want to bring over a camcorder which has a value around a 1000 pounds, what is the situation regarding customs?
Any advice welcome.
Tough one if its new I suppose you should pay gst as its for your own personal use, but if its used and over 12 months old, or at least that model is over 12 months you may get away with it. I personally would try making it look at least used, removed packaging, instructions(post them to you) and bubble wrap in its box you may not get checked.

Jenny
Old Apr 1st 2005, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jensteve
Tough one if its new I suppose you should pay gst as its for your own personal use, but if its used and over 12 months old, or at least that model is over 12 months you may get away with it. I personally would try making it look at least used, removed packaging, instructions(post them to you) and bubble wrap in its box you may not get checked.

Jenny
Hi Jenny

Its about 2 years old and has no original packaging just a case.
The thing is, as it would be coming via Parcelforce, it has to be insured to the value and do they add the insurance value to the actual value?
The sender said he could declare it as a faulty item worth 80 pounds, but would it get thru?
Thanks
Old Apr 1st 2005, 5:01 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hi Jenny

Its about 2 years old and has no original packaging just a case.
The thing is, as it would be coming via Parcelforce, it has to be insured to the value and do they add the insurance value to the actual value?
The sender said he could declare it as a faulty item worth 80 pounds, but would it get thru?
Thanks
I don't see why not as its second hand and over the 12 months old. Not sure on gst over here but don't see how it can be added to something 2 years old and second hand.
I'd just do it, the worse thing that can happen is they try it on and then I suppose you can argue the fact that it was yours originally and left it behind by mistake, maybe
Jenny
Old Apr 1st 2005, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jensteve
I don't see why not as its second hand and over the 12 months old. Not sure on gst over here but don't see how it can be added to something 2 years old and second hand.
I'd just do it, the worse thing that can happen is they try it on and then I suppose you can argue the fact that it was yours originally and left it behind by mistake, maybe
Jenny
Just interested to know who has bought anything or brought anything over via courier and what happened.
Cheers
Old Apr 1st 2005, 5:37 am
ABCDiamond

Just interested to know who has bought anything or brought anything over via courier and what happened.
Cheers
I had a digital camera sent over once, it had a birthday card with it etc., but Customs checked it and sent me a Payment request for the tax. I had a choice: Pay the tax, or begin the appeal process.
I paid the tax I wasn't in the mood to begin an appeal.

I also had some computer software sent over once, half of the disks vanished, never did find out where, and it wasn't insured, so had to forget it!

Old Apr 1st 2005, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I had a digital camera sent over once, it had a birthday card with it etc., but Customs checked it and sent me a Payment request for the tax. I had a choice: Pay the tax, or begin the appeal process.
I paid the tax I wasn't in the mood to begin an appeal.

I also had some computer software sent over once, half of the disks vanished, never did find out where, and it wasn't insured, so had to forget it!
What % of GST did you pay on the camera ABC, was it 10% of the value?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Hi there
Any advice welcome.
1. Duty and GST here is dependant on the Value of Taxable Importation VoTI
2. If the duty is more than $50 AUD then it is charged, if not there is NO DUTY
3. VoTI calculation example is

Purchase Price £20 = $50 AUD
Customs Duty @5% = $2.50
Postage £10 = $25 AUD

Value of Taxable Importation (VoTI) = $77.50

GST @ 10% = $7.75

The total duty/GST payable in this case is $10.25 so since it is below the $50 threshold then the goods are not liable to either the GST or the duty...

ANYTHING under $1000 does not require formal customs entry. but must be accompanied with a declaration (attached)
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steveyp
1. Duty and GST here is dependant on the Value of Taxable Importation VoTI
2. If the duty is more than $50 AUD then it is charged, if not there is NO DUTY
3. VoTI calculation example is

Purchase Price £20 = $50 AUD
Customs Duty @5% = $2.50
Postage £10 = $25 AUD

Value of Taxable Importation (VoTI) = $77.50

GST @ 10% = $7.75

The total duty/GST payable in this case is $10.25 so since it is below the $50 threshold then the goods are not liable to either the GST or the duty...

ANYTHING under $1000 does not require formal customs entry. but must be accompanied with a declaration (attached)
Forgive me for being a wee bit thick, but how would it work out in my case whereby the freight will be AU$200, the camera value being $2000?
Also would this item have to be cleared by customs and how long can that take?

Last edited by Grassface; Apr 1st 2005 at 6:09 am.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Forgive me for being a wee bit thick, but how would it work out in my case whereby the freight will be AU$200, the camera value being $2000?
Also would this item have to be cleared by customs and how long can that take?
I reckon $110 for the duty and $220 for the GST, I would say about a week to get through customs.

Does it sound worth it?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:49 am
ABCDiamond

What % of GST did you pay on the camera ABC, was it 10% of the value?
I'm not sure how much it was now, but I think it was just before GST was introduced, so they would have been looking at 22% sales tax at the time.

Have you checked the option of getting a new one here ?

Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:01 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

In theory import duties should be only payable on anything less than 12 months old. It's a bit of a Catch 22 I suppose, declare it as a gift and hope they don't charge you any import duties. Or declare it as something you left behind and has belonged to you over 12 months. I assume there is no receipt for it which would show it is 2 years old?

I had some stuff sent over by friends after I got here, in it I had bought a gadget for transferring analogue video to my PC, worth just over £100, brand new and still in it's cellophane wrapper. I declared it and explained it was a leaving gift and got charged no import duties on it.

Regarding the shipping, do you or your friend who is sending it know anyone who works for a decent sized airline? Ie BA or Qantas or someone who flies to Aus? Most airlines give their staff a cargo allowance of up to 100kg a year at very discounted rates, and in my experience nobody ever uses it.

All it means is a trip to the airport to pick it up at this end and I'd say it will be better looked after than allowing the Royal Mail Chimpanzee Destruction Team anywhere near it.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
In theory import duties should be only payable on anything less than 12 months old. It's a bit of a Catch 22 I suppose, declare it as a gift and hope they don't charge you any import duties. Or declare it as something you left behind and has belonged to you over 12 months. I assume there is no receipt for it which would show it is 2 years old?

I had some stuff sent over by friends after I got here, in it I had bought a gadget for transferring analogue video to my PC, worth just over £100, brand new and still in it's cellophane wrapper. I declared it and explained it was a leaving gift and got charged no import duties on it.

Regarding the shipping, do you or your friend who is sending it know anyone who works for a decent sized airline? Ie BA or Qantas or someone who flies to Aus? Most airlines give their staff a cargo allowance of up to 100kg a year at very discounted rates, and in my experience nobody ever uses it.

All it means is a trip to the airport to pick it up at this end and I'd say it will be better looked after than allowing the Royal Mail Chimpanzee Destruction Team anywhere near it.
Think I will get him to declare as a gift as it isnt technically commercial.
Thanks all and shalom.