Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

importing a boat please help

importing a boat please help

Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

sam1942 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy importing a boat please help

we are moving to Aus and are hoping to take our boat. please please please is there anyone who has imported into Aus who can tell us in plain english what the procedure is. We have been on to all the official websitesand have a ream of paper which tells us nothing, and is contradictory at times. we know we need an import license for the trailer and that import duty is 5% and 10% but how do customs value the boat?.
and what other charges are due appart from quarrantine@ also how are you supposed to collect your boat in Aus if you cannot get a MISC cardto allow you to collect it. Can anybody tell us about the cost of wharf charges and bonded warehouse charges. The one thing the official websites do not do is tell you how to import your boat. please can anyone help two very confused people
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: importing a boat please help

You could always sail it to Australia

Well someone here was goinhg to say it, may as well get it out of the way early doors.

I'll get my coat lol
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:25 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon77
You could always sail it to Australia

Well someone here was goinhg to say it, may as well get it out of the way early doors.

I'll get my coat lol
When the shit hit the fan in America people actually bought boats in the states, sailed them back to Australia and sold them for a very healthy profit.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

stormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nicestormgal is just really nice

Originally Posted by Weebie
When the shit hit the fan in America people actually bought boats in the states, sailed them back to Australia and sold them for a very healthy profit.
We may be doing that again in the near future!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam1942
we are moving to Aus and are hoping to take our boat. please please please is there anyone who has imported into Aus who can tell us in plain english what the procedure is. We have been on to all the official websitesand have a ream of paper which tells us nothing, and is contradictory at times. we know we need an import license for the trailer and that import duty is 5% and 10% but how do customs value the boat?.
and what other charges are due appart from quarrantine@ also how are you supposed to collect your boat in Aus if you cannot get a MISC cardto allow you to collect it. Can anybody tell us about the cost of wharf charges and bonded warehouse charges. The one thing the official websites do not do is tell you how to import your boat. please can anyone help two very confused people
Have a read here, this should help you -

http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/vie...ghlight=import

BB
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:55 am
Just Joined

hi thanks for your help we only have a small boat are hoping to ship from uk at the same time as ourselves. Can you tell us what informatio is required on the I.D. plate on the trailer and in your opinion would it be worth shipping boat on the trailor or cradle/dolly. also can you give us any idea how much quarantine would cost if boat does not pass inspection? and how does customs value the boat for import duty and GST.
mamy thanks things starting to make sense Eileen and Doug
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:54 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should ask on the boat forum I gave you above.

Very few people on here will have done this, if any.

BB
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:41 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam1942
hi thanks for your help we only have a small boat are hoping to ship from uk at the same time as ourselves. Can you tell us what informatio is required on the I.D. plate on the trailer and in your opinion would it be worth shipping boat on the trailor or cradle/dolly. also can you give us any idea how much quarantine would cost if boat does not pass inspection? and how does customs value the boat for import duty and GST.
mamy thanks things starting to make sense Eileen and Doug
My brother in law (a proper Aussie born an bred) bought a boat in the Seychelles about 6 years ago and sailed it back. It nearly failed AQIS inspection and had it done so, the whole boat (a 42' cat) would have had to have been brought onto drydock, wrapped in plastic and fumigated. It would have costs $1,000s and wiped any profit off his venture.

Is it really worth bringing? Boats are everywhere here (except Alice) I cant believe it would make financial sense.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

stevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant future

Hi There,

The long and short of it is Dont Do It I should know done it had the t-shirt as they say,No no no please advise is your boat on a trailer mine was and if so you will need a import permit for the trailer from cambera, and then there is the shipping again depends on cubic size of the boat advise here is remove strange as this sounds anythinng that you can to make the boat smaller!, then your onto the cost! a minefield all determined by the good old us dollar and its expensive my boat was a shade over 7 metres and 2 metres wide southampton to melbourne nearly three grand and then when it arrives there is AQIS inspections and import duty to pay on the landed value ( which means value of boat plus shipping and marine insurance costs). my boat was pristine when it left the uk however because the shipping companies stop off in so many different countries and therefore climates on route dont be surprised to be landed with a steam cleaning and inspection charge because of mould etc due to temperture changes, and then if thats not all you need a import agent to handle the paperwork for customs and excise after all of this you can pay $90 dollars(one of charge because not a Docks union member) to enter the docks and collect your boat, just the small matter of registering the trailer( needs to comply to Auz standards) and boat licence and insurance.
That about sums it up sorry to disapoint you but think carefuly I didnt and it cost me a lot of money time and hassle..
Regards
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:17 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

many guys here in Perth made tens of thousands importing boats from America to Perth in 2009
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stevecarr@firs
Hi There,

The long and short of it is Dont Do It I should know done it had the t-shirt as they say,No no no please advise is your boat on a trailer mine was and if so you will need a import permit for the trailer from cambera, and then there is the shipping again depends on cubic size of the boat advise here is remove strange as this sounds anythinng that you can to make the boat smaller!, then your onto the cost! a minefield all determined by the good old us dollar and its expensive my boat was a shade over 7 metres and 2 metres wide southampton to melbourne nearly three grand and then when it arrives there is AQIS inspections and import duty to pay on the landed value ( which means value of boat plus shipping and marine insurance costs). my boat was pristine when it left the uk however because the shipping companies stop off in so many different countries and therefore climates on route dont be surprised to be landed with a steam cleaning and inspection charge because of mould etc due to temperture changes, and then if thats not all you need a import agent to handle the paperwork for customs and excise after all of this you can pay $90 dollars(one of charge because not a Docks union member) to enter the docks and collect your boat, just the small matter of registering the trailer( needs to comply to Auz standards) and boat licence and insurance.
That about sums it up sorry to disapoint you but think carefuly I didnt and it cost me a lot of money time and hassle..
Regards
thanks for that but how do they value the boat is it the price we paid for it +shipping +insurance or is it the value of it in Oz + shipping and insurance
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

stevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant futurestevecarr@firs has a brilliant future

Hi there,

its the price you originally paid for the boat + shipping costs+insurance all plus GST and remember you must prove!! the price paid to Customs and excise otherwise they decide the value based on local market values and there formula and despite what some people say boats in Auz are more expensive hence the reason why people import.
Problem is they know this and therefore make sure its not cost effective to do so its more with ensuring the Australian marine industry and its employees future I think, For what its worth I had a argument with a customs official when I picked my boat up from the docks over this subject,my opinion is that migrants should be exempt from these charges, you dont pay duty on your personnel effects so why should you when bring along your boat, car, caravan or anything else for that matter as long as you have had it for more than 12 months.

Regards
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
many guys here in Perth made tens of thousands importing boats from America to Perth in 2009
I presume they were smart enough to import boats that are already sold here e.g. bayliner's. Then I could see making a nice fat profit on the 2nd hand market.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:48 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Check ausfish too.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/

Trailers tend to be the issue with override brakes, lights , width etc that we required here. Width is generally the issue with US trailers.

A fair few Aussie fishers import their engine as even though warranty is an issue, you can easily buy 3 for the price of 2 here and have a spare.