Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Important: please read!!!

Important: please read!!!

Old May 2nd 2005, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Important: please read!!!

Hi, I have just received this from a friend. It is very worrying, particularly if like me you have teenage daughters. I have printed this off to show them and their friends!
Tracey

Please read

This is very scary!
Some serious reminders of personal safety, do take time to look & pass
on.

SENT TO ME BY A FRIEND
About 3 weeks ago, I was at the Shell station in London getting
diesel. It was about 11:30 pm. I was approached by 2 men and 2 women in
a car. The
man that was driving asked me 'What kind of perfume do you wear?' I
was a bit confused and I asked him 'Why?' He said 'We are selling
some name brand perfumes, at cheap prices.' I said I had no money. He
then reached out of the car and handed me paper that was laminated; it
had many perfumes on it.
I looked quickly at it and gave it back. I said 'I have no money'. He
said 'It's OK; we take cheque, cash or credit cards'. Then the people in
the
car began to laugh. I got in my car and said "no thanks". Today I
received this e-mail and it sent chills up my spine.

Please read this.

Here is the e-mail I was sent:

Be careful. I was approached yesterday afternoon around 3:30 pm in
Tesco's car park in Sheffield when two males asked what kind of
perfume
was wearing. Then they asked if I'd like to sample some fabulous
scent they were willing to sell me at a very reasonable rate. I
probably would
have agreed had I not received an e-mail some weeks ago warning of
a 'Wanna smell this neat perfume?' scam. THIS IS NOT PERFUME...IT IS
ETHER!

When you sniff it, you'll pass out. They'll take your wallet,
your valuables and heaven knows what else. If it were not for this
e-mail,
I probably would have sniffed the 'perfume'; but thanks to the
generosity of an e-mailing friend, I was spared whatever might have
happened to me.

PLEASE PASS THIS TO ALL YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS AND BE ALERT AND BE AWARE.
IF YOU ARE A MAN AND RECEIVE THIS, PASS IT ON TO YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS.

Another colleague informed by email yesterday: I didn't smell the
perfume, thanks to this email. I was over by the car park at lunch time
when I was
approached. So either day or night, it does not matter. There were 3
guys together when I was approached. I called the police when I got back
to my
home. Like the email says above: LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS."

Also, BEWARE OF NEW CAR-JACKING SCAM - NOT A JOKE!

This is from a Rotherham Police Officer.

Imagine you walk across the car park, unlock your car and get inside.
You lock all your doors, start the engine and shift into reverse.
You
look into the rear-view mirror to back out of your parking space and
you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window.
You unlock
your doors and jump out of your car to remove the paper (or whatever it
is) that is obstructing your view.... When you reach the back of
your car,
the car-jackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take
off. Your engine would be running (Ladies would have their handbag
in the car)
and they practically mow you down as they speed off in your car. BE
AWARE OF THIS SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED. Just drive away and
remove the paper from your window later and be thankful you read this
notice.

PLEASE inform all friends and family, especially women. A handbag
contains all identification and you certainly do not want someone
knowing your
home address, as they already have your keys!!!

__________________________________________________ ______________
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Important: please read!!!

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/crime/
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
It's certainly a sick world we live in.
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey.d
You
look into the rear-view mirror to back out of your parking space and
you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window.
_
As BP says this is an urban legend. It is however a pretty basic security precaution to ensure you can always *drive* out of a parking space rather than having to back out.

Jeremy
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It's certainly a sick world we live in.
But not as sick or scary as many make it out to be. I think more people live in fear of crime than those who are at risk of crime. I suggest you google search phrases from e-mails like that.
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=bondipom]But not as sick or scary as many make it out to be. I think more people live in fear of crime than those who are at risk of crime.

I agree with that. However, I still feel that it is better for people to be aware of these things rather than ignore the possibility that it may be true. Reading this wont affect anybody if it's false as they aren't going to be approached by anybody. Yet if it is true it may prevent someone from being in danger!
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:12 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Diethyl ether - anesthetic ether - takes about 1 minute at high concentration to take effect. Sniffing some on a card would have no anesthetic effect. Not saying that the stupid might not try it on.
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:15 am
Phoenixuk2oz

[QUOTE=tracey.d]
Originally Posted by bondipom
But not as sick or scary as many make it out to be. I think more people live in fear of crime than those who are at risk of crime.

I agree with that. However, I still feel that it is better for people to be aware of these things rather than ignore the possibility that it may be true. Reading this wont affect anybody if it's false as they aren't going to be approached by anybody. Yet if it is true it may prevent someone from being in danger!
This same note was passed around work in UK 18 months ago, except replace London with a city in Yorkshire

Another urban myth and scare mongering created by emotive sick bastards

Can't harm to be mindfull of H&S...but don't be frightened by this sort of rubbish. Put it into perspective.

Old May 2nd 2005, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

It's okay if you only ever get email like that once a year but it's very annoying when you get the same hoax over and over again from different people. I've told all my friends to exclude me from any email that says "pass it on". It's a waste of resources and fills up your mailbox IMHO.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Megalania
Diethyl ether - anesthetic ether - takes about 1 minute at high concentration to take effect. Sniffing some on a card would have no anesthetic effect. Not saying that the stupid might not try it on.
Good point. Wish I hadn't put this on now may have been a bit hasty. Shall delete friends e-mail and try not to be such a worrier in future Sorry if I've upset or worried anybody by this, was only trying to be helpful!
Tracey.
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It's okay if you only ever get email like that once a year but it's very annoying when you get the same hoax over and over again from different people. I've told all my friends to exclude me from any email that says "pass it on". It's a waste of resources and fills up your mailbox IMHO.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Hi Mrs JTL,
I have had pass it on e-mails before but usually chain mail type of things which I always ignore. Never had one of these type before which is why it probably freaked me out! It also came from a good friend with good judgement. Shall ignore them if I get any more in the future.
It must be a pain in the ass if you get them all the time
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:27 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Good point. Wish I hadn't put this on now may have been a bit hasty. Shall delete friends e-mail and try not to be such a worrier in future Sorry if I've upset or worried anybody by this, was only trying to be helpful!
Tracey.
Tracey...don't feel bad. You did what you thought was right.

No worries...it's a learning curve eh

Old May 2nd 2005, 11:32 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Also ignore ones about kittens in bottles(don't ask!). I sent that to my grandmother about 3 years ago. Oops!
And a few others... ehhh... black out!

Have a look at that site bp put up, it's amusing often enough!

Also http://www.snopes.com/ probably the same as that urban legend one though!
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:35 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Simone
Also ignore ones about kittens in bottles(don't ask!). I sent that to my grandmother about 3 years ago. Oops!
And a few others... ehhh... black out!

Have a look at that site bp put up, it's amusing often enough!

Also http://www.snopes.com/ probably the same as that urban legend one though!
PMSL.....I'd forgotton bout the kittens in bottles E-Mail Simone...that was sooooo funny

Old May 2nd 2005, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs JTL,
I have had pass it on e-mails before but usually chain mail type of things which I always ignore. Never had one of these type before which is why it probably freaked me out! It also came from a good friend with good judgement. Shall ignore them if I get any more in the future.
It must be a pain in the ass if you get them all the time
Luckily I don't get these emails any more. Everyone learns after getting a few of these. Very soon you'll be able to smell them miles away.

My very first one and not a scary one (like the HIV syringe at theatre) was a chocolate chip cookie recipe from Neiman Marcus - because all my friends knew I was a cookie monster, I got that same email at least a dozen times at uni. I was naive to think how lucky I was getting my hands on a secret recipe from one of the greatest department stores in New York. If you look up "Neiman Marcus cookie recipe" on the urban legend site you'll definitely find it. The original story must be at least 12 or 13 years old now!

Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.