Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IMPORTANT - Children under 7 imunisations for OZ

IMPORTANT - Children under 7 imunisations for OZ

Old Jul 5th 2005, 9:16 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IMPORTANT - Children under 7 imunisations for OZ

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
I have been here for 3 months now. When I arrived I took my childrens immunisation record to the doctor for a history assesment - as the immunisation records office in Oz need to have a note of your childrens immunisations from birth. I got a letter from Centrelink yesterday to say they have stopped my sons child care benifit as he has not had the Hepatitis B injection. This is not on the UK medical schedule but apparently is manditory in OZ! So I have an appointment tomorrow for the 1st of 3 injections for him, or they will not reinstate child care benifit. I was surprised that i did not know about this, especially after 3 months being here. I did ask UK doctor before we left too, they said that UK's immunisations were equivilent...but they are not. So be aware that any children under 7 years old will need Hepatitis B injections!
Vaccination is *not* mandatory in Australia any more than it is in the UK. Even in countries like the US where it *is* mandated, there are always exemptions for children with health problems, or where there are religious or philosophical objections.

I suspect that what has been done here is illegal - please do not rush into giving a vaccine that has documented adverse reactions without checking this out thoroughly. Get in touch with http://www.avn.org.au/ and they should be able to advise you on a course of action.

Just thought I'd add that I don't knit my own yoghurt!!!

Last edited by Bella Donna; Jul 5th 2005 at 9:21 am.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

This doesn't sound right to me. Don't be bullied into giving your child these injections without contacting the Australian Vaccination Network (AVN) - www.avn.org.au. You can get a Conscientious Objection Form from them to give to the Child Benefit people. They were offering 'bonuses' to parents who had their children fully vaccinated by a certain age, but as a new migrant you may not be entitled to this anyway. Immunisation doesn't necessarily mean vaccination - you can immunise your child homoeopathically.
Contact the AVN first. They will put your mind at ease with the correct information and send you the necessary form.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 9:46 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Your poor daughter I didn't like getting mine when I was 15 It sounds like there will be a lot of children with sore arms before getting on the plane to Oz

Katie

My 5 year old, Daisy, is going to be really pis*ed off at this rate!!!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:17 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
My 5 year old, Daisy, is going to be really pis*ed off at this rate!!!

i know, i'm getting a bit worried too for our 3 year old, she'll not be happy.

could do with a deffo answer on this. i'm frantically scribbling down 'heb b' and 'tb' vaccinations for her........ :scared:

anybody else out there know anything?

michelle
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:26 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bun
i know, i'm getting a bit worried too for our 3 year old, she'll not be happy.

could do with a deffo answer on this. i'm frantically scribbling down 'heb b' and 'tb' vaccinations for her........ :scared:

anybody else out there know anything?

michelle
Depends how much you want to find out...

Check out www.avn.org.au - it's an enlightening experience.

BTW, the President of the AVN has confirmed that they cannot *legally* stop any benefits purely because a child is not vaccinated. It may be necessary to sign a *conscientious objection* form but benefits cannot be withdrawn for this reason.

Last edited by Bella Donna; Jul 5th 2005 at 10:28 am. Reason: Accuracy
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Three P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura aboutThree P's has a spectacular aura about

If it's not one thing to worry/think about it's another!

We go in a few weeks so it'll have to wait until we get to Oz for our daughter.

Jenny

Last edited by Three P's; Jul 5th 2005 at 10:31 am.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:30 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zan
How much are the jabs in Oz??
Zan
We've been quoted $8 for one jab - so won't break the bank, but we go to a bulk billing doctors, so there is no consultation fee. What that exactly means "bulk billing"- has been explained to be a few times but I still get no grasp of how it works....something about bulk billing you don't pay upfront but non bulk billing you pay and get it refunded! So what i don't get....is why doesn't everyone go to a bulk billing doctors? What a hasstle to pay and then send in reciepts to be refunded! I thought you had to pay for treatment here too - I don't get it - so is medicare just the same as NHS but you have a choice to use or go private? Is that right?
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to a non-bulk biller, you only get a partial refund, and in some areas its not that easy to find someone who will bulk bill. When I first looked for a doctor here we rang over 20, and the first appointment at a bulk-biller was 2 weeks ahead. Non bulk billing I got in straight away. We usually pay about $60, and get between $25-30 back.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:54 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you go to a non-bulk biller, you only get a partial refund, and in some areas its not that easy to find someone who will bulk bill. When I first looked for a doctor here we rang over 20, and the first appointment at a bulk-biller was 2 weeks ahead. Non bulk billing I got in straight away. We usually pay about $60, and get between $25-30 back.
Wow really, I didn't know that. We must have been lucky then as the one at the end of my street is bulk billing and we just walked in and registered. I didn't realise it was an issue. Hmm!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:17 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
What the ...........?? The Hepatitis B injection isnt part of the scheduled routine immunisation schedule as far as I know? Maybe they have recently changed it?
Hi Mrs DB - i looked in Jonah's red book & Hep B isn't listed as a standard in the UK so I rand the Health Visitor & she confirmed that it is classed as a "holiday vax" so we have to pay for it & book it seperately........even though Jo is 2 we have to pay full price for it because of this....

How much does it cost in Aus for the kids to have this Vax? just trying to weigh up if it was cheaper to have it done in Aus or pay up to have it done in UK..?

Claire
x
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:20 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Mrs DB - i looked in Jonah's red book & Hep B isn't listed as a standard in the UK so I rand the Health Visitor & she confirmed that it is classed as a "holiday vax" so we have to pay for it & book it seperately........even though Jo is 2 we have to pay full price for it because of this....

How much does it cost in Aus for the kids to have this Vax? just trying to weigh up if it was cheaper to have it done in Aus or pay up to have it done in UK..?

Claire
x

i'd be interested in the same answer, thanks claire

michelle
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:27 pm
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

This may be of interest to you all.

Just completed the medical request form 26, and at the end it states

"Australia has no compulsory immunisation requirements but parents are strongly encouraged to have their children immunised against TB, pertussis, diptheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis, mumps, measles and rubella."

No where does it mention Hep B

Tinkaxx
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:41 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinkerbell
Hi,

This may be of interest to you all.

Just completed the medical request form 26, and at the end it states

"Australia has no compulsory immunisation requirements but parents are strongly encouraged to have their children immunised against TB, pertussis, diptheria, tetanus, poliomyelitis, mumps, measles and rubella."

No where does it mention Hep B

Tinkaxx
That sounds good to me. We looked into the immunisations a couple of moths ago and eventually decided to give our daughter (4 next month) the MMR vac, which I was trying to avoid but after speaking to alot of people I changed my mind.
I really don't want to have to put her through another course of vacs so I'd prefer not to have to give her the HepB jabs if it can be avoided.
Thanks for everyones input on this subject, I think I'll contact our docs tomorrow (there's a guy from NZ who works there) and see if he can shed any light on the matter.
Marie
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:46 pm
Zan
Forum Regular

Zan will become famous soon enoughZan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy

Claire
x
$8 was quoted above (it's a course of 3 from what I understand)
Old Jul 5th 2005, 9:10 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
I have been here for 3 months now. When I arrived I took my childrens immunisation record to the doctor for a history assesment - as the immunisation records office in Oz need to have a note of your childrens immunisations from birth. I got a letter from Centrelink yesterday to say they have stopped my sons child care benifit as he has not had the Hepatitis B injection. This is not on the UK medical schedule but apparently is manditory in OZ! So I have an appointment tomorrow for the 1st of 3 injections for him, or they will not reinstate child care benifit. I was surprised that i did not know about this, especially after 3 months being here. I did ask UK doctor before we left too, they said that UK's immunisations were equivilent...but they are not. So be aware that any children under 7 years old will need Hepatitis B injections!
Thanks for the info, checked out the website both our girls 6 & 10 are jabbed up ok.

Stu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.