Reload this Page >

Import motorhome?

Import motorhome?

Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

melaniepittam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Import motorhome?

Hi all,

I am interested to hear what you all think about importing our Motorhome to Oz!

It is a Peugeot Autosleeper 2.2 Nuevo ES and we have had it from new since 2005, it is very low mileage and in mint condition and we would be gutted to sell it as we would never be able to afford another new one in Oz!

So, basically we need to weigh up the shipping and import tax, etc, against buying second hand in Oz. We also need to find out about insurance, as it would be no good if it was then well over the odds to insure.

The other consideration is how difficult would it be when things go wrong with the appliances, spares, etc, because of it being an import.

Also, any advice about having an air-conditioning unit in the camper, maybe a freestanding one with a generator (which could then maybe be used in a house later on).

Our plan would be to travel around Oz (we are in early stages of applying for 136 visa), to find the most suitable area for us to eventually settle in.

We would be very interested to hear your views on any of the above .

Thankyou hopefully.

Melanie
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Do we import motorhome to Oz?

Somebody out there, please reply
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:49 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Import motorhome?

Buy mine instead I've got an '84 Mazda E2000 6m / 5 berth motorhome for sale in Darwin if you're interested ....

We bought ours off Ebay so take a look on there at prices before you make a decision. There's the whole range from <$10k to about $800k - there are some absolute beauties on there.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wmoore
Buy mine instead I've got an '84 Mazda E2000 6m / 5 berth motorhome for sale in Darwin if you're interested ....

We bought ours off Ebay so take a look on there at prices before you make a decision. There's the whole range from <$10k to about $800k - there are some absolute beauties on there.
You'll have a long wait, we hav'nt even put in our TRA yet!!!! lol

Thankyou for info.

Melanie
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by melaniepittam
Hi all,

I am interested to hear what you all think about importing our Motorhome to Oz!

It is a Peugeot Autosleeper 2.2 Nuevo ES and we have had it from new since 2005, it is very low mileage and in mint condition and we would be gutted to sell it as we would never be able to afford another new one in Oz!

So, basically we need to weigh up the shipping and import tax, etc, against buying second hand in Oz. We also need to find out about insurance, as it would be no good if it was then well over the odds to insure.

The other consideration is how difficult would it be when things go wrong with the appliances, spares, etc, because of it being an import.

Also, any advice about having an air-conditioning unit in the camper, maybe a freestanding one with a generator (which could then maybe be used in a house later on).

Our plan would be to travel around Oz (we are in early stages of applying for 136 visa), to find the most suitable area for us to eventually settle in.

We would be very interested to hear your views on any of the above .

Thankyou hopefully.

Melanie
Apollo sell ex-hire campers:http://www.apollocamper.com/vehiclesales/index.html

WW
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Thankyou WW. Will take a look later.

I am waiting for some shipping quotes to come back so that we know approximately what we are looking at. I have got a figure in my head of about £7k (including taxes, etc). This would be worth it to us, but as I said in original thread it would then depend on insurance, spares, etc.

Anybody got any comments about travelling around Oz & then living in the motorhome while sorting out accommodation.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Melanie
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:06 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniepittam
Thankyou WW. Will take a look later.

I am waiting for some shipping quotes to come back so that we know approximately what we are looking at. I have got a figure in my head of about £7k (including taxes, etc). This would be worth it to us, but as I said in original thread it would then depend on insurance, spares, etc.

Anybody got any comments about travelling around Oz & then living in the motorhome while sorting out accommodation.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Melanie
Not while we were sorting out accom, etc but take a look at the Big Trip link in my sig
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wmoore
Not while we were sorting out accom, etc but take a look at the Big Trip link in my sig
Hi

Thankyou for sending your big trip info. I have only had a quick look and it looks great, but I need to sit down when I've got time and read it properly.

I will come back with comments when I've finished.

Melanie