Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Implications of taking citizenship

Implications of taking citizenship

Old May 15th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Implications of taking citizenship

We've been 3 yrs in Australia now and it seems an appropriate time to consider taking citizenship. The only potential negatives of doing this I'm aware of are:
  1. Obligation to vote
  2. Cannot take Australian accumulated Super back to UK if ever decide to return. But can if remain as a resident only.

Does anyone know of any other implications?
Old May 15th 2008, 12:28 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of taking citizenship

You have to travel abroad on an Aus passport even if you retain your British one. I'm not saying this is a negative, but it is an implication.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
We've been 3 yrs in Australia now and it seems an appropriate time to consider taking citizenship. The only potential negatives of doing this I'm aware of are:
  1. Obligation to vote
  2. Cannot take Australian accumulated Super back to UK if ever decide to return. But can if remain as a resident only.

If there's a war you could be called up for service. Although I don't see any of these as negatives. It's all part of choosing to live here.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

1. Obligation to vote

You know its true, you really do learn something every day, that's 4 things I didn't know were implications of becoming a citizen!!!!. I knew you would be allowed to vote, but didn't know you had to. I definately didn't know that if you become a citizen you can't move any super back to the UK should you go back. I also didnt know you had to travel on your oz passport, why can;t you travel using your british one???? And Dorothy (how are you and how's perth luvvie??? and is that your wee dog, totally gorgeous!!!!!) I wrongly presumed that it would be like the UK and that you could only get called up if you were actually in the army or reserves, so there you are I've learnt a few things today
Old May 15th 2008, 12:41 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Implications of taking citizenship

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
And Dorothy (how are you and how's perth luvvie???) I wrongly presumed that it would be like the UK and that you could only get called up if you were actually in the army or reserves, so there you are I've learnt a few things today
It is like the UK; Australia does not have compulsory military conscription. Under normal circumstances, Australians can only be called up if they are actually in the army or reserves.

What Dorothy means is that if Australia were to introduce compulsory conscription during wartime (as occurred during the Vietnam war), Australian citizens would be called up to serve in the forces.

Foreign residents would be exempt.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It is like the UK; Australia does not have compulsory military conscription. Under normal circumstances, Australians can only be called up if they are actually in the army or reserves.

What Dorothy means is that if Australia were to introduce compulsory conscription during wartime (as occurred during the Vietnam war), Australian citizens would be called up to serve in the forces.

Foreign residents would be exempt.
Well that makes me sleep easier at night I was thinking I better get fit quick just in case like
Old May 15th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
You have to travel abroad on an Aus passport even if you retain your British one. I'm not saying this is a negative, but it is an implication.
Surely this only means for travelling in & out of Australia? What passport you use at the other destination can still be UK one?
Old May 15th 2008, 12:50 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Surely this only means for travelling in & out of Australia? What passport you use at the other destination can still be UK one?
Technically no, you are supposed to travel on an Aus passport, but in reality, I would assume you could use a British one. You would certainly have problems leaving Aus without a Aussie passport.
Old May 15th 2008, 1:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
You know its true, you really do learn something every day, that's 4 things I didn't know were implications of becoming a citizen!!!!. I knew you would be allowed to vote, but didn't know you had to. I definately didn't know that if you become a citizen you can't move any super back to the UK should you go back. I also didnt know you had to travel on your oz passport, why can;t you travel using your british one???? And Dorothy (how are you and how's perth luvvie??? and is that your wee dog, totally gorgeous!!!!!) I wrongly presumed that it would be like the UK and that you could only get called up if you were actually in the army or reserves, so there you are I've learnt a few things today
What Vash said. Funny enough, this morning I was listening to the radio about a singer (sorry, forgot his name) who was conscripted into the Vietnam war because the Gov't thought it would be a good way of convincing other young men to join...If Famous Singer goes to Vietnam, then you should too. It was only recently that the government admitted that he wasn't randomly picked, but in fact chosen because of who he is.

Anyway, Perth is going ok. I've got a great temp job at a large public hospital in the cancer clinic. It was supposed to be for 1 week. That was just over 3 months ago. I've applied for the position permanently, and will find out soon if I've got it.
Yes, that's my favourite child. He's a lot bigger now, though. I'll post a more up to date photo soon. How's things with you?
Old May 15th 2008, 2:23 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Surely only if leaving Oz. I travel Europe on my British one and I entered the UK on my British one but had to leave Oz on my aussie one

from www.smarttraveller.gov.au

PASSPORTS AND VISAS
Entering and leaving Australia
To avoid delays at airline check-in and again at the border entry point, Australian citizens who are dual nationals are advised to leave and return to Australia on their Australian passport. An Australian citizen cannot be granted a visa for Australia.

When entering Australia, all Australians, including those who hold dual nationality, must be able to prove that they are an Australian citizen. An Australian passport is conclusive evidence of a person's identity and citizenship, and provides the holder with unfettered right of entry to Australia.

An Australian citizen who arrives without an Australian passport may be delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been checked. If a person holding a foreign passport claims to be an Australian citizen, immigration officers must confirm and verify this through official databases. This will invariably cause some delays to the person while the authorities undertake the necessary enquiries.

International airlines have an obligation to ensure that they only carry appropriately documented passengers to Australia. In the absence of an Australian passport, airlines are unable to assess an Australian citizen's claimed citizenship at the time of check-in and may decline to carry the traveller. Or, they may have to make inquiries with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) in Australia to seek approval to carry the passenger, which takes time and may cause inconvenience to the passenger.

Entering and leaving country of other nationality
Dual nationals may often find it easier to enter the country of their other nationality on that country's passport, but leaving can sometimes be more difficult. You may need an exit visa if you entered on a passport of that country.

Before leaving Australia, check with that country's embassy or consulate in Australia.

Jo

Last edited by joh117; May 15th 2008 at 2:34 pm. Reason: Added additional info
Old May 15th 2008, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Obligation to vote

You can knock #2 off your list. Only Temp Residents can take their super back. As you're up for citizenship then you must be a PR which means you can't take your super back.

Voting's a doddle. You can turn up and put the paper in the bin of you don't want to actually vote.

The only real downside (and it's not really much of a downside) is that you can't get back into Aus without an Aussie Passport. Australians can't hold an Australian visa which is why you can't use another passport to get in.

Technical downsides are:
- you may be called up to fight in a war.
- you will have to renounce your other citizenships if you want to become a Federal MP.

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 15th 2008 at 2:42 pm.
Old May 15th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=
- you will have to renounce your other citizenships if you want to become a Federal MP.[/QUOTE]

I thought you had to hold only Australian Citizenship for any of the 3 tiers of parliament?
Old May 15th 2008, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I thought you had to hold only Australian Citizenship for any of the 3 tiers of parliament?
At Federal level you should be Aussie only. There is an exception if the other country does not allow you to give up citizenship.

Most (if not all) State level and council you can be dual.

I felt a bit short changed when I found out. They didn't say anything about it on the citizenship forms. I did ask for a discount but they wouldn't give me one.

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 15th 2008 at 3:08 pm.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

having half your brain removed and given a pair of thongs

hope no Born Australians reading
Old May 15th 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for clearing that up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.