Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Implications of taking citizenship

Implications of taking citizenship

Old May 16th 2008, 7:14 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of taking citizenship

Originally Posted by @boy
To see someone describe an 'obligation to vote' as a 'potential negative' really, really raises my hackles.

Have you any idea the measures and sacrifices that have been taken (and still are) by people around the world in order to have the right to vote ?
Obviously not.
True. But that attitude is just as didactic and undemocratic.
Old May 16th 2008, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bcworld
You will have to meet the residence requirements for citizenship and become a citizen before you can think about getting an Oz passport. The requirement will depend on when your PR visa was granted...basically if 1st July 2007 or after you will need 4 years of residence, otherwise 2 years.

So you will continue to travel on your UK passport / PR Visa until you become an Aus citizen.
Can I ask a quick question - As regards citizenship and the July 2007 rules is that when visa was granted or when validated - we had our visas granted in March 2007 but did not enter the country until October of that year - I understood that we had to wait four years from the date of entry
Old May 16th 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

keithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Implications of taking citizenship

hi
the reason we are doing it is to protect our(and kids)future. you never know,in years to come,some lunatic may get into power and decide to throw all immigrants out!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by ossigeno
We've been 3 yrs in Australia now and it seems an appropriate time to consider taking citizenship. The only potential negatives of doing this I'm aware of are:
  1. Obligation to vote
  2. Cannot take Australian accumulated Super back to UK if ever decide to return. But can if remain as a resident only.

Does anyone know of any other implications?
Old May 16th 2008, 9:39 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Can I ask a quick question - As regards citizenship and the July 2007 rules is that when visa was granted or when validated - we had our visas granted in March 2007 but did not enter the country until October of that year - I understood that we had to wait four years from the date of entry
I believe it is from the date you became PR, that is to say you actually entered the country, not from the date of issue of the visa itself.

People who became permanent residents on or after 1 July 2007 must have been lawfully resident in Australia for four years immediately before applying including:

12 months as a permanent resident and absences from Australia of no more than 12 months, including no more than three months in the 12 months before applying.

People who became permanent residents before 1 July 2007 and apply before 30 June 2010 must have been physically present in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of two years in the five years before applying, including one year in the two years before applying.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
How on earth do you work that one out
Old May 16th 2008, 10:43 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
- you will have to renounce your other citizenships if you want to become a Federal MP.
But this surely has no legal standing? Its a moral type thing. If you're an MP and renounce UK, then after you retire you can apply for a UK passport again? UK never requires its subjects to renounce their status and Aus cannot change UK law?

Regarding conscription, if the state of the world ever got so bad Australia signed up non military cannon fodder, chnaces are UK would too and you'd be expected to do your bit living in Aus or not. I dont see how Aus can legally demand non residents fight for them. Refusal could mean visa cancellation I guess.

Also I dont see why you couldnt leave on Aus on your UK passport, might make getting back hard though. One officer got sniffy with me coz left and returned on Aus o Aus passport but sued UK while away. Didnt like but nothing he could do about it.
And finally, voting, you should vote. Not voting undermines democracy. Not the other way
Old May 16th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

To see someone describe an 'obligation to vote' as a 'potential negative' really, really raises my hackles.

Have you any idea the measures and sacrifices that have been taken (and still are) by people around the world in order to have the right to vote ?
Obviously not.
Calm down. I'm quite happy to be allowed to vote, it's the compulsion I'm not certain about.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
But this surely has no legal standing? Its a moral type thing.
It was a High Court interpretation of the Australian Constitution, in 1992.

If you're an MP and renounce UK, then after you retire you can apply for a UK passport again? UK never requires its subjects to renounce their status and Aus cannot change UK law?
You can formally renounce British citizenship upon application to the Home Office. There is no entitlement to get it back in these circumstances.

I dont see how Aus can legally demand non residents fight for them. Refusal could mean visa cancellation I guess.
Prison if in Australia, a ban on re-entry if outside.
Old May 16th 2008, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EvannTel
But this surely has no legal standing? Its a moral type thing. If you're an MP and renounce UK, then after you retire you can apply for a UK passport again? UK never requires its subjects to renounce their status and Aus cannot change UK law?

Aus is not changing UK law. Aus is saying that if you want to be an Federal MP (of Australia) then you should (or at least try to) renounce your other citizenship(s). This in no way changes the law of the UK nor does it change the law of Germany, or any other country.

The "moral type thing" is interesting. The Australian Constitution was originally a legal document of the British Parliament. Its section 44 states that a foreign subject or citizen could not hold federal office. It was confirmed by the High Court in the 90s that Britain was a foreign power (in relation to Australia) which seems reasonable.

So which country gets the blame for the moral type thing?

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 16th 2008 at 1:18 pm.
Old May 19th 2008, 2:21 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @ boy

Obviously not.
Originally Posted by moneypen20
How on earth do you work that one out
Sorry, I was being silly, while making a serious point.

A democratic society is one where people have a choice, and I believe that should include the choice to vote or not. Having a government say you must vote has autocratic undertones that are more reminiscent of governments that don't allow people to vote at all.

(And to say you can always deliberately spoil your vote is to tell someone how to vote.)
Old May 19th 2008, 2:53 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously not.

Only registered voters have to vote. So you can be a citizen and not register to vote so therefore you dont HAVE to vote.

But yes if people cant be bothered to vote then they shouldnt whinge when they dont like the decisions the pollies make.
Old May 19th 2008, 2:59 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I was being silly, while making a serious point.

A democratic society is one where people have a choice, and I believe that should include the choice to vote or not. Having a government say you must vote has autocratic undertones that are more reminiscent of governments that don't allow people to vote at all.

(And to say you can always deliberately spoil your vote is to tell someone how to vote.)
exactly my sentiments... I find it a bit hypocritical really, being told on one hand that you are living in a democracy but then on the other, being forced to vote !

For what its worth, I will definitely be voting if/when I become a citizen.... but the fact that the voting process is forced upon you, makes me agree that this is a (albeit very minor) negative aspect of being a citizen.

Also, I can't stand it when people show disrespect towards individuals who, for whatever reason, don't wish to vote. Just let them be ! Stop trying to force your ideals and values onto them !!!
Old May 19th 2008, 3:25 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Permanent residents could be conscripted just like citizens.
How on earth can they justify that? You can't vote here or work in a federal post but you can be press-ganged into giving up your life for a country that has not afforded you full rights?
Old May 19th 2008, 3:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
How on earth can they justify that? You can't vote here or work in a federal post but you can be press-ganged into giving up your life for a country that has not afforded you full rights?
It's just the way life works.

The option to leave the country would of course be there, which is not something that would necessarily be available to citizens in this kind of circumstance.

Of course there might well be conscription in Britain too.
Old May 19th 2008, 3:53 am
Just Joined

bothworlds is an unknown quantity at this point

A democratic society is one that is governed by will of the people, not where people have complete freedom of choice. I think you're thinking of an anarchic society

In Australia there is no compulsion to *vote*, it is simply required to present oneself at a voting centre. This makes parties more likely to present policies aimed at governing rather than at getting out the vote a la the USA. Neither compulsion nor any other system is perfect, but ours (IMO) is the best one on offer, all things comsidered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.